1777 Revolutionary War Era Bank Loan Note

*Cali Girl*

Elite Member
Hey guys!
It's been a while since I've posted as I've hung up my detector and started thrift shopping.... for now :lol:
This is one of my most recent mind blowing finds that I thought I'd share with you. I bought a box of old items from the 1800's at a flea market for $50 and this was inside a large diary of some sort (still need to read through it). I looked up the name and the recipient was a soldier in the Revolutionary War from 1775-1778. Hopefully I'll get back into the dirt and share some digging finds soon ;)

Interesting old document.

Value is in English £'s and shillings.

You may have noticed that a 's' is not dissimilar to 'f' without the cross bar?

.....Doug.

PS I wish I could get 6% PA on my savings now........:yes:

Cool find. Somewhere there's a genealogist who'd kill for those documents.

I also found a marriage contract from 1736 and have emailed a possible family member. There are quite a few family names that I have documents to and I will try to locate if possible. The large diary is of everyday life during the civil war and no signature at the bottom of any entry.

I also found a marriage contract from 1736 and have emailed a possible family member. There are quite a few family names that I have documents to and I will try to locate if possible. The large diary is of everyday life during the civil war and no signature at the bottom of any entry.

It's sad to think that documents of that age ended up at a flea market but it's encouraging that you're trying to reconnect them with the descendants of the people they pertain to. :urock:

I purchased an old filing cabinet at an estate sale and found a bunch of love letters 60 - 62' and a diploma from 62' but your finds take the cake! Nice!

OH MY GOSH!!! So jealous! That is amazing. As a genealogist I absolutely love it! I'm blown away. :cool: What an amazing purchase for $50.

A very interesting Document.

This is likely the individual in the document:

William Fletcher - Chelmsford, MA. Born August 27, 1747. Died, Feb 8, 1812 in Canaan, Maine.

He fought at Saratoga.

FLETCHER, William MA Chelmsford
Private, Capt. John Ford's co. of volunteers, Col. Jonathan
Reed's regt.; from 27 Sep to 8 Nov 1777.

Other Records:

Enlisted in Capt. Reuben Butterfield's company, December 16, 1776,
and served to March 16, 1777

Leonard Procter
Daniel Procter
John Dutton
Ebenezer Parker
Jesse Spalding
James Pike
Ebenezer Wright
Isaac Parker
Silas Procter
Nathaniel Chamberlin
Ephraim Dutton
Thomas Nutting
Jonathan Hildreth
John Fletcher
Hezekiah Hildreth
Amos Hardy
William Dutton
Francis Smith
Thomas Nutting Jr.
David Cowdry
Abraham Wright
William Fletcher
John Cowdry
Benjamin Farmer
Levi Fletcher
Daniel Keyes
Willard Hall

Col. Samuel Thatcher, in his orders to Captain Butterfield, calls this the eighth company drafted to reinforce the Continental Army in consequence of an order of General Prescott and says: "You are to marchsd company by the shortest route toward Connecticut through Providence and to begin your march on Monday Dec 16, N.B. - You will call on the Com'tees of Chelmsford, Dunstable, Dracut and Westford as your men arecomposed from those towns."

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Private, Capt. Reuben Butterfield s co. ; enlisted Dec. 16, 1776;discharged March 16, 1777; service, 90 days; 10 days travel also allowed to return home.

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Capt. John Ford s co., Col. Roberson s (Robinson s) regt.; company receipt for wages from Feb. 5, 1776, to April 1, 1776, dated Chelmsford; also, Private, Capt. John Ford s co. of volunteers, Col. Jonathan Reed s regt. ; enlisted Sept. 27, 1777 ; discharged Nov. 8, 1777 ; service, 1 mo. 13 days ; company marched Sept. 30, 1777, to reinforce Northern army; roll dated Chelmsford.

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Sergeant, Capt. Solomon Pollard s co., Col. Samuel Denny s regt.; engaged Oct. 23, 1779; discharged Dec. 4, 1779; service, 1 mo. 12 days, travel included ; company detached to march to Claverack and join Continental Army for 3 months. Roll dated Billerica.

A very interesting Document.

This is likely the individual in the document:

William Fletcher - Chelmsford, MA. Born August 27, 1747. Died, Feb 8, 1812 in Canaan, Maine.

He fought at Saratoga.

FLETCHER, William MA Chelmsford
Private, Capt. John Ford's co. of volunteers, Col. Jonathan
Reed's regt.; from 27 Sep to 8 Nov 1777.

Other Records:

Enlisted in Capt. Reuben Butterfield's company, December 16, 1776,
and served to March 16, 1777

Leonard Procter
Daniel Procter
John Dutton
Ebenezer Parker
Jesse Spalding
James Pike
Ebenezer Wright
Isaac Parker
Silas Procter
Nathaniel Chamberlin
Ephraim Dutton
Thomas Nutting
Jonathan Hildreth
John Fletcher
Hezekiah Hildreth
Amos Hardy
William Dutton
Francis Smith
Thomas Nutting Jr.
David Cowdry
Abraham Wright
William Fletcher
John Cowdry
Benjamin Farmer
Levi Fletcher
Daniel Keyes
Willard Hall

Col. Samuel Thatcher, in his orders to Captain Butterfield, calls this the eighth company drafted to reinforce the Continental Army in consequence of an order of General Prescott and says: "You are to marchsd company by the shortest route toward Connecticut through Providence and to begin your march on Monday Dec 16, N.B. - You will call on the Com'tees of Chelmsford, Dunstable, Dracut and Westford as your men arecomposed from those towns."

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Private, Capt. Reuben Butterfield s co. ; enlisted Dec. 16, 1776;discharged March 16, 1777; service, 90 days; 10 days travel also allowed to return home.

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Capt. John Ford s co., Col. Roberson s (Robinson s) regt.; company receipt for wages from Feb. 5, 1776, to April 1, 1776, dated Chelmsford; also, Private, Capt. John Ford s co. of volunteers, Col. Jonathan Reed s regt. ; enlisted Sept. 27, 1777 ; discharged Nov. 8, 1777 ; service, 1 mo. 13 days ; company marched Sept. 30, 1777, to reinforce Northern army; roll dated Chelmsford.

FLETCHER, WILLIAM. Sergeant, Capt. Solomon Pollard s co., Col. Samuel Denny s regt.; engaged Oct. 23, 1779; discharged Dec. 4, 1779; service, 1 mo. 12 days, travel included ; company detached to march to Claverack and join Continental Army for 3 months. Roll dated Billerica.

Great research!!

The Marriage Document:

James Hood, son of William and Helen Runciman Hood. Born Jan. 27, 1718 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland near the border with England. He was baptized on Feb. 2, 1718 at Kelso. It is unknown when or where he died (though, it was in Scotland)

Isabell Hutchinson, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Smith Hutchinson. Born May 30, 1723 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. She died sometime in 1792 in Lanarkshire, Scotland.

James and Isabell were married on August 15, 1736 at Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

They had three children:

Isabel Hood, Sept 17, 1738 in Kelso. She died sometime in 1795 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

Agnes Hood, born July 1, 1741, in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. She died sometime in 1797 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

William Robert Hood, born Sept 24, 1744 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. He died on May 26, 1799 in Bridgton, Barony Parish, Lanark, Scotland

Great research!!

The Fletcher's are an old, old family in Chelmsford/Westford/Lowell/Littleton.

They were among the first families to move from Concord, MA to settle Chelmsford in 1652. It is a nice town. I once found an 1802 Draped Bust LC in the town center :)

If you could make a copy of that document, I am sure the Historical Society would love to have a copy of it for their archives.

The Marriage Document:

James Hood, son of William and Helen Runciman Hood. Born Jan. 27, 1718 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland near the border with England. He was baptized on Feb. 2, 1718 at Kelso. It is unknown when or where he died (though, it was in Scotland)

Isabell Hutchinson, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Smith Hutchinson. Born May 30, 1723 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. She died sometime in 1792 in Lanarkshire, Scotland.

James and Isabell were married on August 15, 1736 at Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

They had three children:

Isabel Hood, Sept 17, 1738 in Kelso. She died sometime in 1795 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

Agnes Hood, born July 1, 1741, in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. She died sometime in 1797 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland.

William Robert Hood, born Sept 24, 1744 in Kelso, Roxburgh, Scotland. He died on May 26, 1799 in Bridgton, Barony Parish, Lanark, Scotland
I looked them up on wikitree and found that a Colin Hood from New Zealand was listed as a living relative. I sent him an email from the site. Hopefully he returns my email so I can send it.

Back
Top Bottom