You asked for it!

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
With a lot of us unable to get out due to cold weather, I thought it might be interesting/informative to try a "You asked for it" thread. Ever want to see how well a particular detector does with a masking test? Ask for it. Have an idea for a test of your own design? Ask for it. Be it by video, pictures, or just an honest statement, I think it would be both fun and informative. What do you think?

What I'd like to see is a PI detector in use. What do they sound like? How do they respond to different targets? 30+ years of detecting and I have never seen a PI detector in use.

Last edited:
Go to YouTube and type in Minelab, you should get some video of Jonathan Porter using various Minelab PI detectors for nugget hunting. I have been using the new Whites TDI PI machine and though it isn't as powerful as the Minelab's it is going to be a great setup. Ok I hope y'all find some of those video's. Have fun.

John T.
John's Detectors

C.scope 1220R

I would like to know if anyone is using C.scopes. They seem to be
popular in the U.K.
you can also down load settings online
Thanks

There's no use if there's no use

I'd personally like to see charts made up for different detectors and what items ring up as what. There is a really great Minelab X-Terra 30, 50 and 70 chart floating around that gives the VDI numbers for most any coin found int he US. Sure it's not 100% all the time, but I can attest, the numbers it gives for the X30 are dead on. It would be great to see charts like this for more brands and models that use VDI.

With a lot of us unable to get out due to cold weather, I thought it might be interesting/informative to try a "You asked for it" thread. Ever want to see how well a particular detector does with a masking test? Ask for it. Have an idea for a test of your own design? Ask for it. Be it by video, pictures, or just an honest statement, I think it would be both fun and informative. What do you think?

What I'd like to see is a PI detector in use. What do they sound like? How do they respond to different targets? 30+ years of detecting and I have never seen a PI detector in use.

I would like to show you but my headphones are hardwired. It does make kinda weird sounds, the VCO on my sand shark sounds nothing like VCO on my XLT

Most P.I.'s sound different, act different and are for completely different tasks.

First P.I.'s, though working on the same principles as newer machines, (Pulse out a signal, switch off, then listen for the returned signal) were none motion.
Tuning involved setting the "click" rate correctly (a bit like the putt putt boat engine noise of the early BFO machines). Click rate would increase as target was neared.

A later move to a motion type P.I. led to no noise as the coil was swept just a modern detector type noise as a target was located. Coils tended to be bigger than on VLF/IB/TR detectors so pinpointing wasn't great. To help with this VCO pinpointing was added. This made the pulse sound just like an ordinary VLF machine with VCO switched on.This is a mode I hate myself.

Go on a little in time and you had a split in audio between U.S. and European machines. The Whites Beach Hunter P.I. had (possibly a resistor?) added to the audio circuit. This made the audio super smooth as it cut out very slight blips of black sand, fragments of metal.
Over here with so much old stuff, small hammered silver etc the demand was to hear everything. This gained you depth just as in using a slight threshold over running a machine in "silent" mode gains depth with land machines.

By this time all P.I.'s except for a few cheap Chinese and a couple of kit detectors such as the South African Goldpic which remained as none motion/needing tuning sound in use just like any other detector

Back
Top Bottom