Got permission! Need advice on drawing up an agreement

Dougmeister

Elite Member
Got permission for a house built in 1899. New owner said "we might need to draw up an agreement ahead of time in case you find anything of historical significance". They live in a small town that was founded in the early 1700's here in South-central PA.

Is there a template or does anyone have something I could use?

Got permission for a house built in 1899. New owner said "we might need to draw up an agreement ahead of time in case you find anything of historical significance". They live in a small town that was founded in the early 1700's here in South-central PA.

Never done that, I always just make a verbal agreement to hand over anything of historical value i find. A verbal agreement most of the time will be more then enough.

Not sure how common, or binding, such an agreement would be, even if crafted by a lawyer. I'm not looking to get rich of this, just a fun hobby, and an old site would be one hell of an adventure into the past. I'd be thrill with the oporatunity, and pictures/video of the finds. The owners are generous enough to allow permission, it's likely they aren't going to want much of the spoils, specially if you don't feild clean, and dump everything in a paint bucket, for them to poke through at the end of the day. People are usually not attracted to dirty things... I'd just let them have what they want, the experience an memories are treasure enough for me.

You won't hunt it all in a day, if it's a good site, you will want to return. It's an old area, not just that one property, the neighbors, friends and relatives of the owners as well. Keep the greed in check, you might open up more ground to hunt nearby.

The historical issue, might cause some trouble. Some ares designated as significant, and the government has an interest, an agreement with the land owners, could be in the land deed, and not entirely up to the owners. The government was passing out grant money like candy, a few years back. Some people simply agreed to keep the exterior of a significant structure the same, in exchange for some cash...

The problem *I* foresee is disagreement on the term "historically significant". Maybe it won't be an issue. I've never met them; just emails. I think they want to see something /anything in am email before I search.

Can you stop in person and talk to them to get clarification? Face to face dialogue goes a long way, especially since they already said "yes" To be honest, I typically offer to turn over anything historic to the home owner to increase good will. It's part of my standard policy to convince them to let me detect. I've found shutter dogs, horseshoes, cap guns, etc. that were lost on the properties that I feel mean more to the owner than to me. I also tease them about the barb wire, nails, screws, bottle caps, etc. that can be worth a fortune (yeah, right!), but for some reason nobody wants them. I keep coins, and whatever the owner doesn't want. So far it's been easy; I haven't found anything valuable or controversy. Curt

I'd just ignore that last thing and start hunting it. If they decide to press the issue worry about it then. When you hunt, just stop by with your finds and the trash to show them. A few times of that and they'll quickly lose interest in what you're digging. If you find something good...present it. Simpler is better.

Plenty of other places to hunt, i'd move on...You could have a dozen permissions in the time it will take t get that written up to the owners satisfaction..

There is no guaranty that you are going to find anything historical, or even of much monetary value. Could be just normal stuff, and lots of trash. It would be fun and interesting just to find out. You aren't obligated to hunt that one site, the rest of your life, the whole day, or even one hour. It's up to you, and the owner. Couldn't hurt to do a quick scan, let the owner look over everything you recovered, and see what he wants, if anything. You don't have to keep hunting, unless you see some real potential, and the owner is all that interested in what you found.

The man is willing to let you hunt, it's not likely he's going want every dime you dig up. If he was that greedy, he detect it himself. Every person you meet, is going to be different, and you will never know until you give them a chance. He's willing to trust you, with not leaving a mess of his yard...

It will likely be binding. I'd say keep simple. Why not write he can keep all non coin items of significant value and you get all coins? Or how about he gets his choice of 1/2 of all non coin items regardless of value? Or you get coins and then you alternate picking non coin items with him getting first pick?

It sounds to me like you already wasted too much time on this place. I have got to much invested in time and equipment to be making up a agreement and giving my finds away. If you detect for long you will realize there are a lot of places to hunt without that kind of hassle. If it means that much to you then tell them if you find anything really valuable like a diamond ring or something then you will spil it with them. Other than that I would pass.

Back
Top Bottom