Took a chance and got permission!

Ashtro1969

I haven't been able to get out and detect lately due to what my wife calls Priorities :roll:, so I have been behind on my detectorin' time. Anyway, I was on my way back from dropping my son off at his school for a yearbook project he was going to when I saw someone outside of this church. I have passed this place almost every day, but have never seen anyone there, and it always looked to be abandoned. I am a people person, but I stopped cold to places and asking. About 15 years or so ago, I was threatened with physical violence by a homeowner just for ringing his doorbell. He came to the door and immediately started cussing me out, and when I said I am sorry to bother you, he said "what did you say!", and kicked the screen door open and started to come at me with clinched fists. I ended up having to run to my car and beat feet out of there (with him behind me, he hit the trunk with his fist too, just glad he did not have a weapon). It turns out he was a hermit of sorts and barely allowed the mailman on his property (we had the same mailman and he was the one who told me that). Hence the reason I do not stop at stranger's places but I digress.
Today, figuring that it was a church, I took a chance and stopped. It so happened that it was the new pastor (and the contractor that was working on the indoor renovation). I introduced myself and explained what I wanted to do, and he gave me permission! He said I could come by anytime and search to my heart's content. I was thrilled, to say the least, because I know this church is pretty old, and it definitely gave me some confidence back. I can't get out there today unfortunately, but I will definitely be there tomorrow (after the service) and Monday (Columbus day off). It was a church on the 1943 topo on historic aerials, and I suspect it is much older. A house a few doors down was built in 1853, so I am hoping the church is at least 100 years old. I looked on the county tax accessor's web site but unfortunately it did not give an age of the building. Any ideas of it's age from y'all based on the picture? It is on 1.59 acres. The front is a gravel parking area, and the rest grass. As soon as I start finding stuff I will post pic's!

Attachments

• Church.jpg
    Church.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 592
Congrats on getting permission and good luck on the hunt. It's nice when you get permission but it's really nice when you aren't expecting to get it and they say "sure go ahead" !!

The church looks like its at least 1850s maybe older...could be toc as well.a foundation pic could tell us alot more...id say it could be 160 years old though..goodluck..lets see those finds :)

Get your 'priorities' straight.

"Priorities." Female speak for "My way, when I say, how I say or the highway." Be a man - take a stand. There's plenty of hotels and motels you can stay in. Hold it a minute, gotta go now, the wife's calling. :cool: On the serious side, see if you can find out what association the church is a member of and you can probably find out the history of the church. You may be able to find out by just Googling the name of the church. GL.

"Priorities." Female speak for "My way, when I say, how I say or the highway." Be a man - take a stand. There's plenty of hotels and motels you can stay in. Hold it a minute, gotta go now, the wife's calling. :cool:

I would like to keep my private parts thank you very much!:laughing:

The church looks like its at least 1850s maybe older...could be toc as well.a foundation pic could tell us alot more...id say it could be 160 years old though..goodluck..lets see those finds :)

Here are some pictures of the church foundation. The red brick part was the back part which I think was an add-on. I also took a picture of the window since it may help identify the age (it looks pretty old). I haven't hunted there in a few weeks though. There is a ton of junk (pull tabs, screw caps, misc.) and even with my 6" excellerator coil I am having a hard time:(. I have found a handful of clad, and that's about it so far. I plan on returning and searching some more, but I had to take a break from the trash. It would be nice to have a hunting partner to help out so if anyone is near Jacksonville, NC and wants to hunt it with me, let me know.

Wouldn't let me upload the church window picture or the other foundation picture for some reason.

Attachments

• ChurchBack.jpg
    ChurchBack.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 448
My guess is late 1800's as well. If trash is a problem then switch to gridding, pick out a spot next to the front path and start recovering targets. Gonna have to unmask the old fashioned way, in the order it was deposited :lol:

My guess is late 1800's as well. If trash is a problem then switch to gridding, pick out a spot next to the front path and start recovering targets. Gonna have to unmask the old fashioned way, in the order it was deposited :lol:

He is a couple more pictures of the church with a window shot (they look old) and another foundation shot. I plan on studying some pictures (aerials and personal) and laying out a plan of attack here soon. I had to take a break though because the trash is maddening! Plus, about the entire length of the walkway up to about a foot out drives my detector crazy (where the red line it on the picture). I love hunting near sidewalks/walkways, since there are usually good finds there, but this one won't let me come even close. It doesn't overload my detector though, which is weird, it just is one signal after another, almost constant. Even with my 6" coil and sensitivity turned down a bunch. I barely have to move the coil and it sounds off/ Either there is a ton of good targets there :roll: or something else is up. I was thinking rebar maybe but at a foot out? Weird...Also, the back field is trashy as heck as well. The parking lot is okay for clad it seems but it is hard packed gravel, mud and dirt so the digging is treacherous...

Attachments

• ChurchLeftSide.jpg
    ChurchLeftSide.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 389
  • ChurchWindow.jpg
    ChurchWindow.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 381
  • ChurchSide.jpg
    ChurchSide.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
I'm venturing to guess that the concrete was laid later, and yeah rebar is horrible. I use my ProPointer to get close to concrete. A lot of old silver is less than 4 inches deep unless you have that sludgy loam, so if you are totally screwed it can't hurt to try.
With the foundation the way it is, you can be pretty certain it hasn't been filled/graded and that's great. Either way the coins ARE there.

We all make bad assumptions about where activity has been. In the old days when there was no AC tree lines provided shade. Personally, I would even bypass the church and go around the perimeter at the old tree lines first.

You also may want to check the N.E. corner of the foundation...back in the day they would put a date on the corner stone which was usually on the N.E. corner of a building. Also ask the contractor, he should have a little history of the building since he needs to see where the old electricity , plumbing etc. are located.
I hunted a old church and found quite a bit of silver on the ground below the stair landing going into the church where the pastor would stand and greet parishoners. (Hands going in and out of pockets to shake ). Also, alot of church yards had ball parks, picnic areas, etc. try and locate those. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom