Metal Detecting Lingo Glossary

For the camp ground searchers: Can Slag (Those nasty little balls of melted aluminum from cans thrown in camp fires) and Slug Slaw (Pieces of shredded lead/copper from bullets shattered after hitting rocks).

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

Thread Vamp

How about a "Thread Vamp"? This is a person who has lurked for years on the forum and never submitted a thread of their own.
Then, out of the clear blue sky they jump into a existing thread and, if successfull in their attempt to redirect the topic, they blend back into the woodwork.

Sorry if this is a repeat of an earlier term;

Halo....The aura left by a buried (metal) object as it disintigrates back into its natural state. Falsing and ghost targets are the most easily identifiable consequence of this phenomena especially with metals like metal shavings and steel/copper wool.
Rotten Zinc....A zinc coin which has lost most of its metal to the surrounding soil, sometimes producing a halo. Not only the appearance of a rotten zinc is changed but its target ID number and target description can be completely skewed.

AT Pro w/8.5X11" and 5X8" coils/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback

Thanks

For someone new to the hobby this is been very helpful in reading all the post on the side

Tot

I keep seeing "tot" used in the different forums. I'm sure you can tell how new I am, but I'm going to ask it anyway.....WHAT does it stand for? All I could think of was "type of turf"!:roll:

Usually referred to as a tot lot: Childrens playground at parks, schools, beaches , campgrounds and churches type things. You no where kids get dirty cloths fun. :laughing: Usually they hang upside down, swing or anything to spew money out a there pockets for us to find, also moms loose rings when pushing them or something, great place to hunt.

Back
Top Bottom