Story Time

I'm sitting here by myself this evening, but I'm not complaining. My wife is the director for a crisis pregnancy center in our area and she is at their monthly meeting with all the volunteers who give their time every week to help young women in difficult circumstances. Strictly volunteer, no self promotion, no Facebook, no money exchanged, just giving their time to help make this a better place to live. I think of our St. Vincent DePaul Society at our church that does so much to help people who really need the help. Again, not for any recognition, but just because it's right. I'm so thankful to live in a community so full of generous selfless folks. I'm also sitting here watching the protests in Brooklyn Center, MN, and I'm praying for peace in these communities, but also thinking how thankful I am for the police who try to keep peace in these areas. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I'm not trying to be political, I'm just pointing out all those who do good work in our country only because it's the right thing to do. My gratitude to all of you who do good for the sole sake of helping their fellow man. You will be eternally rewarded.

Great post Scuba!
I'd like to think we all do what we can, I know I have helped look for keys or a ring when asked nicely. Biggest thing I have returned was for a fisherman, his boat got flipped as they were coming in during a storm, he lost his speargun and to him that was basically his livelihood. He pointed in the general area and I found it within a few minutes, honestly it would be hard to miss a target that big, but to him it seemed like MAGIC for me to be able to find it.
The fact that he was there that day, the day after his boat had flipped, looking for it in rough water made me realize how precious it was for him and I am glad I was able to make the magic happen for him!

The longer I browse this forum, the more I am impressed at how much good a lot of the people here do. I too have experienced the satisfaction of finding something important to someone - two wedding rings for two different neighbors of mine back when I was last metal detecting with a Coinmaster in the 70's. I'm really looking forward to starting over now that the weather and virus situation are improving and I have new technology on my side! You impress me Scuba, keep on doing what you do.

I heard this story a long time ago and I it in mind and think about it a lot.

There was an old man walking along a California beach one morning after a huge storm. There were starfish all over the beach, soon to be baked by the sun and killed. As he walked along the beach he sometimes would stop, pick up a starfish and throw it back into the ocean.

Another man watching him told him he was wasting his time, there is absolutely no way he could make a difference. He kept walking and as he picked up another one and tossed it back in the ocean, he thought, I made a difference for that one.

As is true in life. we can't help everyone. We all have opportunities to help others and make a difference in their life. This hobby is no exception. I have read many stories of a detetorist on a beach being approached by someone who had lost a ring or something very important in the sand. Many have stopped what they were doing to help recover and return the lost trinket to the owner. No you can't be there to help everyone, but you can make a difference when you are able.

That is one reason I love this hobby so much. Being disabled I have found something I can do. I don't sit around thinking oh poor is me and rot away in my home. I get out when I can and make a difference. Even if I can't get out, I have been able to make a difference to a few folks on here. Have I missed some? Sure I have. But others are here also to help make a difference in another persons life also.

There are folks on here that do not want to be named that have helped me make a difference. I want to thank them for their contributions. Adding a prize to a contest, helping pay for something I offered to repair. We all can make a difference. No we can't help everyone, but we can make a difference as we go out searching for treasure.

Oooh, that's an expensive prop. Glad you got it back! Good picture, too.

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom