AT Pro and Iron Audio

Call Me V

Just a general question... I was at a park yesterday and had to turn my iron audio off. It was constantly grinding away in my ears while I swung my coil non-stop. I did ground balance a couple of times just to make sure that wasn't the issue.

Is it because there is just that much iron in the soil? Can there be that much iron in top soil that the iron audio never stops crunching away?

Iron audio off is basically all metal,,and your hearing everything in the ground.The at pro is really a sensitive machine and the answer would be yes,,the area is probably polluted with bits of rusty iron disintegrated

So it's been a bit since I had an ATPRO, but as I recall what it was intended for, is so you could run enough discrimination to eliminate iron and not listened to it while hunting. And when you got that iffy or choppy signal you could turn iron audio on, and eliminate any discrimination you had preselected.

Essentially it toggles you from discrimination to wide open in the mode you were in. This is helpful in iron riddled sites.

Iron audio off is basically all metal,,and your hearing everything in the ground.The at pro is really a sensitive machine and the answer would be yes,,the area is probably polluted with bits of rusty iron disintegrated

When I hunted a popular river park near my home that was the case my AT Pro. It was a rather small park with great river access. It was slammed with people:mad: on all weekends, holidays and even M-F it was busy. So hunting in that park with my AT Pro in iron audio was just like you described. I used to just hunt in the coin mode.

But with my Equinox 800 I had a better time at the park once I learned how to tame the 800. That park was my learning park for the 800. In a month I found lots of clad, older and deeper clad and two small silver rings with semi-precious stones. Once you learn to use the 800, it can be quite remarkable. Don't get me wrong, the AT Pro was/is a great machine. But the 800 is better for my needs.

Turn the iron audio off forever. Doesn't help at all. You could also turn down the sensitivity a bit in trashy areas. If it's really bad, block out any signal under 40 (or even 50). You won't miss much with that setting.

Hello V! I use the AT Pro here in Western Montana, and I leave the Iron Audio OFF pretty much all the time. Yes, there are bits of iron, old roofing nails and other junk that contaminates much of the soil. I agree with you, it is annoying to have your detector give out a low tone every time you run over a bit of rusted iron. With Iron Audio off, you will still get a slight low "grunt" when you do pass over iron, but it is much easier on the ears! My settings for the AT Pro are Pro Zero mode, no iron discrmination, nothing notched out, and max sensitivity.

Back
Top Bottom