Today's dig brought to you by the letter "A"

leslie(nova scotia)

Elite Member
From the land of the Bluenose.....Theadore the Tugboat was a bobbing , weaving and a chugging up the Halifax Harbour between the two bridges that connect Halifax and Dartmouth.

t.jpg

(old photo as I didn't have my camera with me then)

A Sea King helicopter hovered over head and I ran for cover as these are notorious for falling out of the sky!

Out my window a foursome of Oberon class subs were waiting to be hauled to the scrapyard. To a sub mariner the HMCS Onondaga, Okanagan, Objibwa and the training one Olypus where slick, silent, gracefull under water killers but to this bouy they just looked like rusting blackened over sized tubes of tooth paste.

Two young lads idly strolled south along side the railway line upturning rocks, boards and other forms of debris one would find near the rail tracks. But what were they looking for? What was in the taller boys hand? As they approached closer to my post at the military dockyard I had my answers; looking for snakes and having caught one that was busily wrapping itself around the taller boys forearm. A foot long garter snake that was constantly flicking out it's devilish tongue "tasting" the air. This is how I spent my first of 4 days off....scabbing an extra shift at the military sub pen. Time and half is time and a half and one step closer to this years winter vacation down south.

Even Robert Ludlum's "The Apocalypse Watch" could not keep my mind off the combo dig that I was going to treat myself to after work. Of course I was going to lay the ground work with the boss by taking her out for a chocolate chip mint ice cream.

Arriving home I was stripped quicker then a "peeler" on pay day and changed into my digging uniform and out to a local park within 15 minutes doing the dew and taking out a major chunk of the days quota including the "A." (see photo of finds).

Hour later I was home and changed again with Marie in tow as we headed to a lake to cool off. Of course my Seahunter Mk2 magically showed up in the trunk.

PC130016.jpg

Did the beach first picking up a few coins then went "aquatic" , not to be confused with going "postal." Hit a nice spill and pulled a pair of toonies and a quarter out of my sieve followed by a pair of specs...not my style nor strength.

A dime rounded out my daily quota and I headed to the promised land...Avery's for Marie's ice cream and a treat for me which dispatched 6 of my coin finds ($6.60).

Take for the day was a pair of glasses, key, a dewy , earing and 53 coins at $7.90

PC150021.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Les... funny you mention Ludlum... I'm currently reading his book, The Sigma Protocol.

Back
Top Bottom