Which dedicated beach detector?

staffydog33

Ok, so I've sold my Makro Racer 2 because I want a dedicated beach machine, but am really confused and unsure what to get.

I don't want to wait 10,000 years for the Equinox, so I wanna buy asap.

I'm on a budget of around £500 maximum (692.97 US Dollars)

My brain is on overload.

Do I choose Soverign GT? But I really would like some kinda display.

Do I choose Minelab Explorer XS?

Explorer 2?

Minelab Sovereign XS Pro?

minelab explorer SE?

Really don't know what to get.

I've currently got a PI detector, (CS4PI) which is fantastic with regards to depth, but the obvious bad thing is no discriminatiion.

I was thinking of this one on ebay, what do you reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-Explorer-xs-pro-coil-and-extras-/253377559435

Which would you choose??

Really would appreciate some advice guys.

cheers
Matt

Minelab Sovereign Elite?

I can say this, I never liked the Minelab Explorer XS. The Explorer I and II, and the SE yes..I liked. It's so close to the Nox release I would wait because you will have some water resistance to protect the machine. You will not miss much with being winter...?

I've owned everything you listed (-Equinox).

The Quattro, Explorer S and Explorer XS have really slow processors. The Safari, Explorer II, Se and SePro are faster and IMO all about the same speed. The faster processors are more noticeable when you are using a big coil....anything from 15" - 21". You'll need the speed to discern multiple targets under the coils footprint and without overloading or overloading as easily. All of these have screens which are a nice but unnecessary feature.
When looking at used models, inspect the cam shaft locks and plastic Controller housing at the rod mount. These areas are the most stressed from swinging and prone to cracking. Many are priced in the $300-450 range, but expect those prices to lower (slightly) with the release of the Equinox.

The Sov and Excal are basically the same machine internally. There is no screen which is a bummer at first, but because we hunt on tones, it actually speeds up the process of target recovery. You'll dig the tones that are feasible rather than looking at a screen and standing there contemplating whether or not you should dig the target. Anyhow, these are great machines, but the down side is they do not have the signal boost tech that comes on the Safari/Explorer series. Signal boost means small targets and deep targets come through loud and you are having to listen for "faint whispers".

The Excal's all metal P/P mode is a nice feature though. This will boost your depth significantly over auto modes and the FBS machines. This makes its a hard machine to beat.

Ok, so I've sold my Makro Racer 2 because I want a dedicated beach machine, but am really confused and unsure what to get.

I don't want to wait 10,000 years for the Equinox, so I wanna buy asap.

I'm on a budget of around £500 maximum (692.97 US Dollars)

My brain is on overload.

Do I choose Soverign GT? But I really would like some kinda display.

Do I choose Minelab Explorer XS?

Explorer 2?

Minelab Sovereign XS Pro?

minelab explorer SE?

Really don't know what to get.

I've currently got a PI detector, (CS4PI) which is fantastic with regards to depth, but the obvious bad thing is no discriminatiion.

I was thinking of this one on ebay, what do you reckon?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minelab-Explorer-xs-pro-coil-and-extras-/253377559435

Which would you choose??

Really would appreciate some advice guys.

cheers
Matt

Minelab Sovereign Elite?

With that budget i would recommend you either wait for the equinox and get a warranty or buy a used excal with no warranty. Excal is proven but your budget puts you squarely in the used category.
Also, don't forget to budget around $150 for a good scoop...

With that budget i would recommend you either wait for the equinox and get a warranty or buy a used excal with no warranty. Excal is proven but your budget puts you squarely in the used category.
Also, don't forget to budget around $150 for a good scoop...

i agree excal used is the way to go :D

The Sov and Excal are basically the same machine internally. There is no screen which is a bummer at first, but because we hunt on tones, it actually speeds up the process of target recovery. You'll dig the tones that are feasible rather than looking at a screen and standing there contemplating whether or not you should dig the target. Anyhow, these are great machines, ...The Excal's all metal P/P mode is a nice feature though. This will boost your depth significantly over auto modes and the FBS machines. This makes its a hard machine to beat.

X2
I don't care for the screens but you can get a digital meter as an add on for the Sovereigns.

get a good used excal that way if you ever want to go in the water machine is waterproof good luck :D

X2

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys and giving me masses of info and education plus made my mind up now...Just gonna have to save up the pennies a bit longer and providing the Minelab Equinox get's good reviews by REAL owners and non-bias testers in highly mineralised sand and in the water, then I will be buying one.

Went out last night to my local beach here is Wales, UK.

Got to the beach at midnight, left at 4.30am....lol

I must have dug about 50 holes varying between 10-20 inches and 49 of them were either huge chunks of Iron or tent pegs + fishing weights/singers.

My last hole though, I was pretty happy coz i pulled out a 1941 Three Pence at 15"+ with the CS4PI.

Buy, boy....would I be chuffed to have a machine that was as good as the CS4PI depth wise, but also have discrimination.

Yup, gonna be patient, save my a** off and wait until the huge amounts of Youtube Equinox reviews and tests come swarming in.

cheers
Matt

Prior to getting an Excalibur II I used the Sovereign GT. A Meter is not necessary as it is advisable to dig everything that the machine does not discriminate out. Yes you will dig some pull tabs and the occasional bottle cap.

Back
Top Bottom