Return to barber park yesterday, bucket lister today!

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Hey everyone, got out for a few hours yesterday back to the park I hit the barber spill in. It didnt disappoint, found a bunch more wheats and 3 mercs, 2 of which came from the San Francisco mint. Today I traveled to Holyoke to hunt a friends front yard, he just moved into this place a couple months back, and he hasnt even had time to finish it up. His first hunt there was Saturday and he pulled 5 silver's out. His house was built in 1909, big old corner lot too. After a couple of copper memorials, I get a good quarter signal, and from about 4" down, I pull out my first set of sterling military wings! Been waiting some time for my set and I finally got them! After that, I hit a few wheats and finally a merc which was my 3rd 1935 merc in the last 3 hunts. Continued for 2 hours or so and only managed a couple more wheats, so we moved to another permission he has down the street that he has never hunted before. 1892 this time. Got a big goose egg at that property, must have had some fill put in at some point, just could not find any oldies, and the zinc pennies were 6"+. So we both decided to call it for the day. It was a nice change from the thick trashy woods I've been hunting the last few weeks, and I left with a bucketlister, win=win! I ended up breaking the pin off while cleaning, but its already super glued back together, I might put this piece in a display with some other WW2 era finds. Hoping to get out for a few hours tomorrow, we'll see, until next time, thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 0813191617_Film4.jpg
    0813191617_Film4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 274
  • 0813191617a_Film4.jpg
    0813191617a_Film4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 0813191617b_Film4.jpg
    0813191617b_Film4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 254
  • 0814191836_Film4.jpg
    0814191836_Film4.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 265
  • 0814191837_Film4.jpg
    0814191837_Film4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 240
Great finds! Those look like glider wings. Could have belonged to someone who was involved in D-Day.

Thanks everyone! Yes, upon a little further research, these would have been Glider pilot wings, and from what I understand, most didnt make it back to the US, you might have a better chance finding these wings in Amsterdam or France where DDay and possibly operation market garden would have taken place. These are the type of finds I REALLY LOVE!!! The research is so interesting, and I'm learning a ton. I have decided to make a display, including the wings, a war nickel, 1943 wheat and I'm looking around to see if I have a ww2 general service button somewhere, which I think I do... Ill update when its complete! I appreciate the looks everyone! Here's a little more info on the wings: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glider_Badge
Happy hunting!

Thanks everyone! Yes, upon a little further research, these would have been Glider pilot wings, and from what I understand, most didnt make it back to the US, you might have a better chance finding these wings in Amsterdam or France where DDay and possibly operation market garden would have taken place. These are the type of finds I REALLY LOVE!!! The research is so interesting, and I'm learning a ton. I have decided to make a display, including the wings, a war nickel, 1943 wheat and I'm looking around to see if I have a ww2 general service button somewhere, which I think I do... Ill update when its complete! I appreciate the looks everyone! Here's a little more info on the wings: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glider_Badge
Happy hunting!

As a retired commercial pilot for 45 years...those wings are an incredible find!! Very scarce with a ton of history, CONGRATS

Some great hunting Jeff. Love those Wings. Still on the want list for me, maybe someday. Congrats on the Silver's, the Wings and all the rest. A side note got out last night for my first night hunt this year. Did have some good success but hate not knowing what I dug until I get home. Need to practice more on the digging as I nicked a really nice coin with the tool. Give more details in my next report. Trapper

Incredible find on that glider badge. Made from 1944-1961, but I imagine the bulk of them were made for WW2. The gliders had a terrible time landing those things and many did not make it back. Huge congrats, that is more significant than a chunk of gold in my eyes.

Just had a thought on this, imagine finding the names of the previous owners of that house and learning who wore those wings.... would be incredible.

Incredible find on that glider badge. Made from 1944-1961, but I imagine the bulk of them were made for WW2. The gliders had a terrible time landing those things and many did not make it back. Huge congrats, that is more significant than a chunk of gold in my eyes.

I suspect these were issue post WWII since that is when they were issued on completing Training whereas during WWI they were only issued after a combat landing.
Read the Wiki posted above carefully.

Just had a thought on this, imagine finding the names of the previous owners of that house and learning who wore those wings.... would be incredible.

Yes, that should be a real possibility and good records are available for that period. This puts a name to the wings and makes them more interesting and possibly increase their collectable value.

Could also answer the question as to whether they were issued Post WWII or during WWII so research who owned them is important.

Congrats on those amazing wings! Looks like you had a great day here in western Massachusetts I’m just the next town over so this finders got me excited and encouraged for sure. Thanks

Barber park??

Hey everyone, got out for a few hours yesterday back to the park I hit the barber spill in. It didnt disappoint, found a bunch more wheats and 3 mercs, 2 of which came from the San Francisco mint. Today I traveled to Holyoke to hunt a friends front yard, he just moved into this place a couple months back, and he hasnt even had time to finish it up. His first hunt there was Saturday and he pulled 5 silver's out. His house was built in 1909, big old corner lot too. After a couple of copper memorials, I get a good quarter signal, and from about 4" down, I pull out my first set of sterling military wings! Been waiting some time for my set and I finally got them! After that, I hit a few wheats and finally a merc which was my 3rd 1935 merc in the last 3 hunts. Continued for 2 hours or so and only managed a couple more wheats, so we moved to another permission he has down the street that he has never hunted before. 1892 this time. Got a big goose egg at that property, must have had some fill put in at some point, just could not find any oldies, and the zinc pennies were 6"+. So we both decided to call it for the day. It was a nice change from the thick trashy woods I've been hunting the last few weeks, and I left with a bucketlister, win=win! I ended up breaking the pin off while cleaning, but its already super glued back together, I might put this piece in a display with some other WW2 era finds. Hoping to get out for a few hours tomorrow, we'll see, until next time, thanks for looking and happy hunting!

ummmmm,I don't believe you mentioned the name "BARBER PARK" when I was in town.......:?: :D :D jk.....I mustered up a few Barbers on my own....
Congrats on the goodies and rare score .
I'll be planning another east coast trip around October maybe.....not sure where......
Keep up the good work......

ummmmm,I don't believe you mentioned the name "BARBER PARK" when I was in town.......:?: :D :D jk.....I mustered up a few Barbers on my own....
Congrats on the goodies and rare score .
I'll be planning another east coast trip around October maybe.....not sure where......
Keep up the good work......

Haha thanks Bob. This spot ive been detecting for years, just always avoided this section due to the high volume of trash, but when you get into the zone, there's certainly goodies to be found. If you come up, I'd be more than happy to bring you. I have multiple wooded parks loaded with trash, but like I said, it's always a full pouch of junk every trip, but the oldies are there, no question about it... Good luck man!

Back
Top Bottom