WW2 dogtag

Dirtfist

Found this over the holiday weekend and with the help of SirDigAlot we have the oppurtunity to return it to the rightful owners...so excited to meet this family and share stories.

Attachments

• DSC00276 20%.jpg
    DSC00276 20%.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 284
I've had the privilege to return two of them to the owners families and felt
honored to have been able to do it. Congrats on the accomplishment.

I actually found a phone number and called it and was surprised to see that someone actually answered the phone. After saying....ummmmmm.....I know this is a random call and please don't hang up on me, but I think a friend of mine (Dirtfist) just dug up something that belongs to your family.

(crickets)

After explaining everything about how he found it we hung up.

So for 3 days I figured they were either looking for it or calling the cops on us because no one called and it was freaking us out a little to say the least.

Then today I got an email as follows...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for going to all the trouble of finding and contacting us about my father's dog tag. My son used to wear it when he was in ninth grade at CLP. He said he was playing football with a bunch of guys when one of them "clothes lined" him and broke the chain that held the dog tag and another one I had made up with his name on it. So its been there for at least 6 years, maybe more. Thank you for finding it. I would very much like to get it back if thats ok with you. He, my father, passed away this last June at 89 years of age. He was in the Army Air Corp, trained as a B-29 radar operator/repairman. He was drafted out of college in 1944 and the war was over by the time he got out of Tech School. He was assigned to operate radar on several ships that mainly returned Italian POWs from California to Italy and GIs from France to the US. He got out in 1946, just in time to marry my mother and return to college.

Again I thank you for going to all the trouble of seeking us out and letting us know of your find.

Thanks,

Oma

I actually found a phone number and called it and was surprised to see that someone actually answered the phone. After saying....ummmmmm.....I know this is a random call and please don't hang up on me, but I think a friend of mine (Dirtfist) just dug up something that belongs to your family.

(crickets)

After explaining everything about how he found it we hung up.

So for 3 days I figured they were either looking for it or calling the cops on us because no one called and it was freaking us out a little to say the least.

Then today I got an email as follows...

Hey Mike,

Thanks for going to all the trouble of finding and contacting us about my father's dog tag. My son used to wear it when he was in ninth grade at CLP. He said he was playing football with a bunch of guys when one of them "clothes lined" him and broke the chain that held the dog tag and another one I had made up with his name on it. So its been there for at least 6 years, maybe more. Thank you for finding it. I would very much like to get it back if thats ok with you. He, my father, passed away this last June at 89 years of age. He was in the Army Air Corp, trained as a B-29 radar operator/repairman. He was drafted out of college in 1944 and the war was over by the time he got out of Tech School. He was assigned to operate radar on several ships that mainly returned Italian POWs from California to Italy and GIs from France to the US. He got out in 1946, just in time to marry my mother and return to college.

Again I thank you for going to all the trouble of seeking us out and letting us know of your find.

Thanks,

Oma

A wonderful story, and good on you for taking the time. I'm 64 and have been MD'ing on and off for the last 40 years. I've only gotten to return 2 class rings and a gold and Diamond pendent, and believe it or not, that's only been in the last 4 years.

I wish I had the power of prose to be able to put into words the feeling of fulfillment that I got when I got to see the faces on these folks when I handed them thier lost Treasure.

WWII Tags

What a great story!!! Good for you finding the family, it must have meant so much to them. My dad also a WWII vet passed away this July, so I can really imagine how they felt. Most of the WWII vets are gone. They were a bunch of tough guys.

Sincerely, Becky

I can't wait to return it. The weather turned ugly and Oma wants to wait till this storm passes (snowing like crazy ATM). I'm going to call the local newspaper and see if they want to run a story. I already got consent from Oma...lol.

I'll tell you what guys...Dirtfist and I have only owned our MD's since 9.25.2013 and this find, story, and returning this item has made it worth every penny I've dug up.

I didn't even find it, but I'm stoked about it. That's why I helped to find the owner.

Man what a great hobby this is. :grin:

"Restoring faith in humanity one dig at a time"

Back
Top Bottom