Old school, Yo

dutchroots

I've been tempted to check out this old schoolhouse. So, today I found out who owned the property and asked for permission. After a little over an hour I had quite a pile of finds. Unfortunately, as you'll see in the attached photo, it was ALL junk. Crushed beer cans, old tin cans, angle iron, car parts, the front of a dashboard radio, a license plate from 1947, bottle caps, foil, and my favorite the can of Spam.

Oh well. At least I'm learning more about my detector.

Attachments

• 17apr2007_school.jpg
    17apr2007_school.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 17apr2007_junk.jpg
    17apr2007_junk.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 321
That looks very similar to an old school house that I hunted... I found that most of the good finds were at least 4-6 inches down. Try to bumb your sensitivity up a bit to help with the deeper finds, and try not to dig unless you get a real strong solid (non fluctuating) signal. The school I had hunted had already been hit by a detectorist, (there's a good chance this one had been hit too.. we're all alike you know) but pay attention to the deeper hits and I'm sure you'll find some good stuff there. Also... try to imagine where most of the action happened there... I found most of my stuff near the front entrance and try to figure out where they played at recess... good luck.

Spam and Miller Lite? That looks like a party!

If you feel comfortable with the tones maybe you should try the Ace in coin mode to stop most of the cans and iron scrap. I betcha there are some coins hidden out there somewhere and that machine will find 'em!

Thanks for sharing!

I hunted an old school like that last fall and found zilch.
I think it had been hunted prolly a hundred times and there was just nothing left.

Cashing in old aluminum cans . . . 35 cents.
Learning more about your detector . . . Priceless!

Keep it up! You're doing well! WTG!

RD :cool:

I would surely keep hitting that spot if possible.... Too bad these things don't detect Arrow Heads..

Well, I've been back to this site 4 times and still have not found anything good. Not even a single clad coin. Just some more beer cans. If there's anything decent to find here it must be deep, and there's just too much trash above it to make it worth digging. :(

I have two more sites picked out to hunt. One is another schoolhouse that was discontinued in the 50s, and another is an old dock for a river ferry. I really hope to find something good in one or the other of these locations.

I have to stop and think, that at the time this school would have been in operation, it would have been a "lunch bucket" type. There would have been no reason to have any money. Lunch was carried from home, water would come from a well. I have detected at 2 1-room school houses and have never found anything other than clad. I have been detecting the High School where I grew up, it has 8 class rooms and a gym. I found a nickle, and more nails small bits of trash than I ever thought existed. Keep looking there are better places to search. George

Sometimes ya need to clean up the junk before the goods show up !!

I agree 100%. A couple of more options to try. Lessen up on the discrimination and slow way down, you might be masking targets with all that trash. Also, not too familiar with Garretts.. but can you get a smaller coil for the 250? 5" might be the ticket for trashed site.

I would say there is definitely something there.. just need to work for it.

DB

Back
Top Bottom