• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Super end of a great week. 2 more firsts, and my new oldest coin!

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
I have had a great week. Two silver quarters, another nice merc ,my first war nickels, My first Barber half dollar and a chunky 14K gold ring. Not sure I could do much more but I went out today for a short hunt, determined to dig more deep iffy nickel signals. Several pull tabs, aluminum foil, a pencil eraser and a couple modern Jeffersons. Then I finally pulled a deeper nickel that turned out to be a 1940. A couple more pull tabs and another deep, bouncy 11-13. I dug a deep plug and nothing. I went deeper and finally got a signal on my pinpointer, still farther down. So, I pushed the Lesche down several more inches and pulled up clay from way below the topsoil. In the clay was the familiar reddish brown nickel that is typical of one buried for a while in my soil. I couldn't make out what it was at first but after some spit and more wiping, I could see that I had my first Buffalo nickel, a 1920. Not a big deal to some of the veterans ,but this was my first one and I have found quite few wheats that fall into the Buff date range ,so one this has been pretty elusive for me. I was pretty stoked and now more determined than ever to dig more of the deep 11-14s that I know I have passed over.
Now if that wasn't enough, the next good tone was also a 11-13 and deep.
I dug a deep plug and the same thing,-nothing. I went deeper and got the signal on my pinpointer in the bottom. But this time it was right there, I could see the brown coin but when I pulled it out I couldn't tell what it was other than nickel size. i looked through my recently acquired loupe ( every detectorist over 40 needs one if they don't have one) and I could make the date and nothing else. 1904!! A freaking V nickel!!! My first one of those and now my oldest coin ever. I expected to find a buff in my town some day but I never expected a V nickel . My town was only founded in 1882 and there wasn't hardly anyone around until 1908 ,so this had to dropped by one of the earliest residents.
This has been a great week for me. I have to give lots of credit to the folks on this forum . I have learned more from your experience, knowledge and insight than I could have ever learned on my own in such a short time. I am truly grateful for your willingness to share.
I wont be hunting for a couple of weeks due to work but I cant wait to get back to digging those deep iffys. Thanks for looking and HH!!

Attachments

• 1920 Buff nickel heads 8-25-19.jpg
    1920 Buff nickel heads 8-25-19.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 227
  • 1920 Buff nickel tails 8-25-19.jpg
    1920 Buff nickel tails 8-25-19.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 1904 V nickel heads 8-25-19.jpg
    1904 V nickel heads 8-25-19.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 204
  • 1904 V nickel tails  8-25-19.jpg
    1904 V nickel tails 8-25-19.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 193
Congrats on the Nickel trifecta Montana. ( "V", Buffalo & Jefferson) I was in this hobby ten years before digging my first "V", it was my white whale and is still very rare for me. No doubt a very fine week and it is not just luck that your digging success. It's because you have put in the time, learned your machine and make continues effort along with the thirst for adventure. Trapper

Nice finds MT! Gotta love getting those older nickels, congrats! I know I'm always hoping for a Buffalo or "V" when I get a deep nickel signal.

That buffalo has a mint mark on it too, looks like it might be a D. That is one thing I need to work on, deep mid tones, I spend too much time digging shallow mid tones. Both can be rewarding though. Congrats on your big week, and good luck when you get back out there!

Sweet V Nik find, love 'em. And you *have* had quite a week, keep it up!

By sheer dumb luck, an 1891 V was one of my first finds right when I started beeping. It was right at the edge of a farm field and I didn't even realize what it was at first; it's still my oldest coin (for now!)

Back
Top Bottom