my 1st knife build

Flush Draw

Elite Member
I built my wife a little knife to hang on one of her necklaces that she builds. it will hang from the buisness end of the knife/sheathe. Cut the blank from a circular saw blade, heat treated it, filed on the edge, tempered it, made a handle, pinned it, glued it, sanded it, finished it with boiled linseed oil, sharpened it on a stone and leather strap, made a sheathe for it and...
knife2008_zps73b5809b.jpg

the phone is for size reference
knife2007_zps7a7ed75c.jpg

A fun project. I know it doesnt really have anything to do with tectin, but Im mighty proud of this lit'l dude.

I built my wife a little knife to hang on one of her necklaces that she builds. it will hang from the buisness end of the knife/sheathe. Cut the blank from a circular saw blade, heat treated it, filed on the edge, tempered it, made a handle, pinned it, glued it, sanded it, finished it with boiled linseed oil, sharpened it on a stone and leather strap, made a sheathe for it and...
knife2008_zps73b5809b.jpg

the phone is for size reference
knife2007_zps7a7ed75c.jpg

A fun project. I know it doesnt really have anything to do with tectin, but Im mighty proud of this lit'l dude.
Nice one, but sleep on your stomach, just in case....................

Nice. How did you manage to drill holes for the pins in the saw blade? How did you heat treat it? I have made minatures but can't drill holes in the blades. I built a custom knife once. I didn't really have anything in it but when my home was broken into,it was on an eighty dollar gun belt. They took the knife and threw the gunbelt on the floor.

Nice. How did you manage to drill holes for the pins in the saw blade? How did you heat treat it? I have made minatures but can't drill holes in the blades. I built a custom knife once. I didn't really have anything in it but when my home was broken into,it was on an eighty dollar gun belt. They took the knife and threw the gunbelt on the floor.

I used the acetylene torch to heat it up to 1400 degrees or there abouts, just until it was non magnetic and then dipped it in a warm oil bath. I used a 7/64 carbide bit for the holes in the tang after the heat treat, worked pretty good. The pins are wittled down golf tees. I oversized them and drove them in with a hammer after gluing. The worse part of the whole thing was sewing the leather. What a pain.

Really nice knife and process, reminds me of my first knife. Next time you have to make a leather sheet, I recommend you using a divider caliper to mark the holes and use a hand drill with very small drilling bit (0.045" or any size according to your thread size) to make the holes.

Back
Top Bottom