Notch out nails?

nsfr1206

Is there any way to not pick up signals for nails but still find coins? I searched for a while today at my father in laws 1830’s house and found junk and some clad. I’m tired of digging nails.... is there any setting for the AT Max that will cut them out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, nails come in all shapes sizes, rust differently and orient themselves in diverse ways to your coil, all giving vastly different readings.

When I am confronted with this I like to listen iron audio around the edges of a possible good signal and work your way around the target from all angles. When you hear crunchy low signals around your target and jumpy signals from different angles ,you likely have a nail...either that or a nail next to a double eagle...

Sheesh! I notch out iron on my pro. I notch out up to 40.:yes: I find coins but I may be missingsome cause Garrett aint no Minelab.:yes::lol:

My new 800 gets here today. [emoji1]

Old square nails can ring up pretty good, even on the NOX depending on orientation. This is where raising iron bias can be helpful, or just hunt in Park 1 which has some iron bias built into it.

I have a house I hunt from around the same time period and it is very challenging. There are just too many layers of trash and to much soil disturbence.

Here are some suggestions:

1. If Sanborn map or insuance maps exist for this location you might be able to determine where the older structures were that no longer exist.
2. Try using a small coil like a 5 inch or 6 inch coil.
3. Try using a concentric coil. Different search pattern and you can pick the top layer and miss some of the deep nails just by raising the coil.
4. For Equinox 11" coil, try using a high recovery speed and lower the gain. I have found that in Park 2 I can run the gain around 15 and use a recovery of 6 (or 3 on NOX 600) and pretty well cut out the deeper layer of nails beyond 5 or 6 inches. You may miss the deep coins, but if there is a half dollar or more modern coin above the nails you are more likely to get it.
5. Don't forget to detect near trees, large rocks, foundations, walls, under windows, near water sources, etc. Sometimes the best stuff is close to an obstruction.
6. Try to figure out where dirt has been disturbed and hasn't. Maybe they dug a line for septic in the 1920's or maybe more recently. That area will no longer have the "normal" distributions of artifacts. This could be good/bad depending on how it was back-filled.

Good luck and enjoy your Equinox. Just don't forget that a house site continuously occupied for 200 years is likely going to have a LOT of trash in the form of iron/aluminium and is going to be very challenging. Don't blame the detector or yourself if you don't find as much as you think you should.

Is there any way to not pick up signals for nails but still find coins? I searched for a while today at my father in laws 1830’s house and found junk and some clad. I’m tired of digging nails.... is there any setting for the AT Max that will cut them out?

As far as I know, the AT Max is similar to the AT Pro in that it doesn't have adjustable iron bias. The detector is set to allow some high conductor squeaks coming off iron to pass through. Otherwise, you would miss partially masked high conductor silver/coins. It's a trade off they set for you. You can get better at IDing nails between using iron audio and iron discrimination, as well as other info such as location, signal shape, and depth.

The Equinox has adjustable iron bias. In the default Park 1 setting it is set fairly strong. That is, it is biased against allowing those high tone peeps that often come off of nails make it to your ears as a high tone. That comes at the expense of hearing good coin/silver targets that are masked, as well as at the expense of finding a wider variety of relics.

You can reduce the iron bias setting on the Equinox and hear more of those high tones, as much or more than the AT Max (or Pro). That's sometimes a good thing depending on what you are looking to find.

If you're interested in relics, tokens, and other odd ball items, then it doesn't make sense to set a detector up to laser focus on good clean coin targets. If digging anything that gives off a high tone is your rule, then you'll find a greater variety of goodies (and more trash) with an AT series detector or by using a lower iron bias setting on the Equinox.

If u invent a detector that can....i have no problem paying you $20,000 for one!

Matt

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Notched out iron seems to help alot with nails but..... I sometimes get what sounds like a relatively deep coin that's a thick rusty nail! One way to tell- the nail signal will move in location. Sometimes hard to tell until you dig. When you open the hole immediately check with the pinpointer and if it's a nail it will beep off to one of the sides. When you think your target has moved you have trash. I dont think I've ever had a coin signal move that truly is a coin. Mine are straight done from where I pinpointed them.

Back
Top Bottom