xcal maxxpack UPGRADE

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Well I decided it was time to upgrade my blue xcal batteries. The blues have a 700 mah battery and with some age they last about 5 hours out there. The xcal ll has a 1000mah and ive hunted for 10 hours before and never ran one down. The new Maxxpacks r 1500 or 1600 mah. I was told the 1500 is a tad larger...... well let me tell you or better yet show u what I had to do to get the 1600 in a blue pod. Seems the pods get narrower toward the botton on the blue pods and the 1600s are T I G H T and unless you shave the plastic they just plain WONT go in.

Love their charger. Charges in a couple hours and has a light. Then goes to trickel charge. Mine charged to 14.46 dcv while the Xcal II is 14.25 dcv. Both batteries will go down in the first few min. under load to be closer to 13 dcv. The chargers out put on a multi meter under load is about 15dcv while a ML charger is 14.6 dcv. What you notice right away.... the pod isnt warm after charging even with the higher charge. That could be because its new and may change with age as the charger attempts to charge a weak battery. That has to be better on the plastic pod. They highly recommend you allow any battery to be cooler or at least room temp before charging. Once i get a chance to use them ill let you know more. Its been my experience NEW batteries or ones that over charge a bit sometimes makes the detector a bit chatty for about a week until they settle down. Ill let you know once i use it how its working out.

Dew

Attachments

• 20140813_184804.jpg
    20140813_184804.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 251
When i bought my excall ii i bought a battery just like that and charger, i use the charger, but the factory battery is still giving me 3 hunts. Nice to know the replacement is on hand when i need it.
I've got to agree on the charger, works fast and it's nice to know when it's done with the little green light, i can't believe minelab doesn't include a charger like that from the factory...

Yeah, they are a tight fit in some of the pods. I use a light coating of the same Dow silicone lubricant that I use on the o ring. Makes it a lot easier and stops it from getting stuck.

I thought you were going to go with the 1500 mah because they told you they were a better battery. They could take a lot more charges than the 1600 mah.

But, being I'm getting senile :( in my old age, I could be mistaken. :?:

You have been talking about getting one to see how it works,,,,,keep us posted,,,,,you are so right that if the standard excal II battery is overcharged the machine will chatter more until you burn a little juice out. Mine usually takes about an hour in the hunt to really settle down. I have been really keeping an eye on how long I charge mine. The light indicator on your upgrade will be nice,,I usually take it off the charger as soon as it gets warm,,,,,Dew, will this mean we will be hunting longer and I will have to bring two batteries:laughing:gl hh

1600 is fine other then she is tight

I can say this, mine may never come out, I greased it when I installed and just checked it...going to take a team of wild pirates to pull that thing out!!
I like it but at this point they are backups to the LiPo...3 days of hunting, still 15 volts left, leaving for the ocean Friday, charged it up..took 10 minutes to get back to 16.8

Attachments

• OBN0290.jpg
    OBN0290.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 138
  • OBN0293.jpg
    OBN0293.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 134
I wondered why that string was there until that baby got stuck the first time. I didnt go with the 1500's because my research told me the pods may be different. For the price.... I can afford to swap them out every now and then. Tim I highly doubt I can hunt any longer but if I sell my xcal ll and loose that pod..... I need a couple that are reliable. Dont want to have to watch u hunt because mine died a slow death.

I wondered why that string was there until that baby got stuck the first time. I didnt go with the 1500's because my research told me the pods may be different. For the price.... I can afford to swap them out every now and then. Tim I highly doubt I can hunt any longer but if I sell my xcal ll and loose that pod..... I need a couple that are reliable. Dont want to have to watch u hunt because mine died a slow death.

Good, cause dew you wear me out sometimes:p

Joe.... have you found a way to repair those cracked battery pod caps? They can be real pricy if they crack even if you use the AA pods as a replacement.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom