Some Good Tips About The Excalibur Metal Detector

pauln

In this video I share some tips about the Excalibur 2 metal detector. I filmed this video with my green screen background so the detector didn't come out great because it is also green but you can get the points of the video by watching. Some good tips here to keep your metal detector working for a long time.

http://youtu.be/sTDC1d2GDW8

Firstly, fantastic facial hair! Secondly, great video. :D

Many helpful points addressed in this video and I think any Excal owner can take something from it. Two points I would raise would be that some Excal owners have reported their coil cable degrading a lot faster at the points where electrical tape was repeatedly used. I suspect it has something to do with the adhesive reacting with the rubber. For this reason I always tape my cables with the sticky side out - works just as well and eliminates any potential problems with premature cable decay at those anchoring points. Another thing concerns the coil cover...a great item but incredibly overpriced! Most companies sell their coil covers for about 10 bucks but I think the Excal one is 30. Not only that but they wear out very fast. After going through 2 of them I went the marine epoxy route and haven't looked back. Not saying it's better than a coil cover, but I just refuse to pay 30 bucks for a thin piece of molded plastic. :lol:

Once your warranty does run out you should get hold of OBN on this forum...his waterproof Grey Ghost headphones with the endcap are very, very good. I dare say it transformed my machine and my detecting experience. :grin:

Anyhow, thanks for a great video! Hopefully we'll get some more comments and discussion going here. :yes:

The tape may not be the issue with the cable casing cracking. I believe it has more to do with salt, sunshine, and... believe it or not how far up you tap it.

I like the GGA, but i have to say.... Joe's Skullie IIs on an Xcal Blue are much better. You tend to have to relearn the tones with the GGA's but not the Skullies. His newest version of the Skullies is outstanding.

Watch tightening your coil bolt to tight as the rubber wears.... some of the Xcal coils will separate at the bottom. When the rubbers get worn and it starts cutting into the lower shaft connector.... try a rubber you can get at the hardware store with string in it to keep those ears from pulling inward.

Crazy price on those yellow coil covers for sure. I went to the black Sov one's they dont seem to wear as fast then i put loctite marine epoxy on it.

Dew

Here is something you may try and like. Coil cover fills with sand not long after you start hunting. Starts making noise. Yellow coil cover is going to crack eventually. Break the back off like I did and don't mess with it any more. Lets the sand out. I don't suffer falsing problems any more running mine this way. The water washes the sand out the back. Instead of rolling side to side and causing falsing. If I buy a nw coil cover the first thing I'm doing is breaking the back of it off;)

Attachments

• SAM_1624.jpg
    SAM_1624.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 336
Thank you everyone for more great comments about the excal. Yes, i plan to contact obn when the warranty is up and get the skullies.

pauln....I hope you didn't misunderstand my post on the excal. I know it the bomb on salt water beaches. I also know the limits of my AT Pro.

I do however wish that mine lab would offer the option of the straight shaft. I know the stock shaft is good for divers but I don't think most of us are divers.

I still plan on getting one but I've only saved about 700 so far, so I've got a long way to go.

Happy hunting!!!
John

may be use wire ties rather then the electrical tape? Good video and tips. I like this guys style and look forward to more of his videos.

thanks for sharing,,,,,one point I hope everyone got was that all water machines no matter how hard you try to take care of it, will have a problem,,,,,,its just a matter of it it will be during warranty and many people don't hunt as much and get by the warranty without the issues,,,,,,like HP,,,,,,if you hunt 3 to 5 times a week, you are likely to have a problem during warranty,,,GL HH

They may be HARD WIRED, but thanks to Ole Beach Nut doing those end caps you CAN change your headphones and coils.

First year for me on the Xcal II.... and baby i hunted that year..... new headphones (wire split inside), new pod (didnt pressure test), new coil (separated on the bottom), new knobs, new rubbers (small amount of fresh water got in... possibly from using pressure from a water hose) and changed out the threshold switch while in there. I also had ear wear on the second coil in a week.... i ended up fixing that myself because ML wouldnt. Went thru 3 coil covers before if fixed that problem as well. ML required a coil cover be on the coil.... so i made them replace one of the covers. Now...that all said.... i still paid for that machine and could have paid for all the repairs with the gold i found that year.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom