TRIED OUR MY EXCAL FOR THE FIRST TIME

Brian28jersey

Tried my excal for the first time at avalon new jersey yesterday around 9:30,

I found one penny

and one battery other than that no hits on a discrimitation of 3 sometime i

tried a descrimination of 1, my impression is either i was using my machine

wrong or someone else was cleaning out the area, but for the first time i

didnt hav all that high expectations and it was a real learning experience.

Im going to try another beach nextime and hope for better results.

Does this sound like a common story?

Brian

All machines take time to learn and you live in an area that probably gets hit alot...

Where you detect has a lot to do with what you find as well.... For instance, I only hunt in the water and leave the dry sand to the land guys... I feel the better stuff is in the water as well as less trash and I have been successful. Try working cuts and troughs as well as in the water if conditions permit. Also remember its different down south where the beaches get used a lot up here we have what 3-4 months? Here in Ct people just started using the water...

Well allot of the problem i had was the large beach scoop i just got its

pretty heavy and i carry it on the back of my shoulder.

Im gonna hav some rings welded on it with a strap so i can carry it on my

back and be able to go further out in the water. Its easer to use the

machine if you hav both hands ready to hold it steady in waves.

I also noticed with the excal when a wave rushed over the machine it

buzzes and dies off real fast i guess its normal but seemed wierd to me.

I did find it pacular not to find pull tabs either.

thanks for the imput

Brian

I always carry my scoop on my shoulder that way there is no interference between the scoop and the coil... If its not finding pulltabs then you're not going to find gold... they go hand in hand... In the water there aren't many pulltabs, but there are plenty of fishing weights and lures...

I dont want to giv anyone the impression im frusterated, i consider this year a practise year for my new detector, but i did drop a pound yesterday. Im going to stay out there and keep trying more than likely trying a different beach altogether.

Brian,
Avalon is much like Long Beach Island, where I go. There are not the crowds like Wildwood, Ocean City, and Atlantic City. If you do find something, chances are better that it will be a decent find, as the "clientelle" are wealthier.
Try the above locals that I mentioned for more abundant finds. You also may want to try UNDER the boardwalks. Tons of trash, but lots of clad for many years.

I think I've spent most of my time on the beaches in south Jersey, and have had good days, and bad days. Don't get frustrated, your day will come. On my last trip, I had my best day ever, was getting coins every 20 or thirty feet, but had to cut it way to short due to the flies which made it unbearable. When I first started out, I used a cheap plastic water pitcher with hole drille din it for a scoop, but got rid of it after two times out. The sands easy digging, and cand dig most of what I find with my feet. I got real good at sifting with my fingers.

The green head flies sort of shut my day down too, I dont think there out there in the early morning im looking at getting green head fly repelent, they actually draw blood. Somebody recently posted that the excal doesnt pick up gold chans real well so thats a plus for me, however I wish i could find a way to stop all those eratic signals from the waves, im going to check my wiring when i get home tonight.

Hi Brian
Its correct that the Excaliber is not to hot on fine chains....but not to many other machines are either, especially twin/multifrequency.
I would never go above minimum discrimination as minimum on Sovereigns/Excalibers is quite a high setting. Manual sensitivity. Increase till you hear chattering then drop back slightly. Threshold just audible.
Volume is important. If you had a Sovereign I would say set it at maximum then use the headphone controls to reduce to a comfortable level. You haven't got that option so set as loud as is comfortable.
Try some 'Back to Black' or similar silicon plastic bumper/fender spray. A quick spray on and polish straight off. Sheds off water and helps reduce wave noise. Are you certain your not moving the coil up and down as the wave hits you ? Its easy to do and creates noise.

Back
Top Bottom