My very first "Good for trade" token! *Pic added*

bruinvikes

Elite Member
I went hunting after work today for two hours and didn't find one single coin of any kind. In fact, this is the second consecutive hunt without finding a coin at all. Now that I think about it, the last time I found a coin was the hunt last week when I found two Mercs and a non silver Kennedy half dollar.

Anyways, I found these two buttons and my first trade token. I think the token is pretty cool, kinda looks to me like a three leaf clover. I tried to Google the name on the token but nothing came up for me to further research. The bigger button does not have any markings at all but the smaller button is marked Firmin London on the back. I also found a spoon. I'm trying to clean the spoon to find any markings. I will post the spoon if it is of any value.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the spoon. The very tip of the spoon has a slight tear drop look to it? It's pretty much flattened out, but it shouldn't have made that shape. The marking on the back is "Carleton Silverplate".

Attachments

• IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 307
I just noticed the back of the token. Could this be race based, or is it just coincidental with the name on the front? I'm not exactly sure when these trade tokens were being used.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 252
Those are some nice finds to be proud of!

Sure is nice to get out in this mild weather!

Congrats on your finds!

I would not clean it any further, aluminum does not hold up well.
It has been my experience that most good for 5c tokens were in use prior to 1910.
After 1910 they were typically good for 10c
NOT always, just generally speaking.
GREAT find:yes:

nice , unique. looking nickle token!

That's one and one Shape that I have not seen before.
Some old timers called them "hard times tokens" n I think they were used
(Around the mid west anyway) in a couple different times.
One was middle to late 1800's

Another time frame was during the depression years....from what i have studied about them....
I have found tokens in various shapes n sizes and diff. Material from brass,copper
Aluminum, bronze..

Good for one loaf bread, one pint milk, alot of. Five cents in trade...some ten cents
A few 50 cents. And even a huge copper one from Nebraska for $1.00 in trade
Cigar stores..one fare on the electic "trolly" ....celluloid starch......soap...

The majority. Of the ones I have found were made locally to where or what town I found
Them in or near.

You might look into the past local businesses and find it's point of origin.

Alot were from local grocery stores....it may have been An Irish owner of an old store ...that is just a TOTAL GUESS though.....
Whichever .you still have a very nice token!
Anyway congrads!
HH
Indiana Bones. 😉😉😉

Back
Top Bottom