Tell me a story

RelicHound

Forum Supporter
ok folks this one is real simple. tell me a story about your best find while detecting and who ever tells the best story i will pay the entry fee for them to enter the dirt fishing contest. no rules really other then it must be a member who hasnt already signed up for the dirt fishing contest. incase 2 stories are really good and there is a tie i will start a poll and other members will vote on the best of the 2. ill give this until sunday the 20th 12am central time. so lets hear them stories!

I have only been hunting for 3-4 months now so not a lot of stories but one cool story.

Started detecting local schools and better places and now looking for old stuff. I upgraded my cheesy metal detector to the Whites Prizm III, my upgrade because I would now like an even better one. My hunting partner finds all kids of cool things and I have to bite my toung when he finds a CW bullet or jewlery.

But on my first ever hunt with the new detector I found a token that on the front side says good luck and on the back has a horseshoe. Not bad for the first dig for a brand new detector. But to top it off the same day I found two rings and plenty of coins.....oh and some junk too :tumble:

Anyway thats my story ;)

well so far your the winner :D

Hey this is like a major award or something

red_ryder_leg_lamp.jpg

Right Before Their Very Eyes
Well back in the early days I was going around with that radio shack detector and folks would laugh or snicker about my new hobby. But that didn’t bother me all that much cause those folks hadn’t a clue as to how to enjoy life. Most likely they still sit around and talk about others so they can feel better about themselves. Will I was metal detecting this here yard where they all hung out at and during my hunt I got a signal and dug up an Indian Head Cent, this happened right in front of them. They looked the coin over and seen it was dated 1887. That’s a common date and it was in G grade but none of the crusty stuff was on it. To them it was a rare find and they fussed over it. At that point it was my oldest coin find and my first to break the 1900 mark. It was also the point where they started talking about the old can of coins their grand parents had and how they should get a metal detector. But of course none of them ever did. That was just one of those hunts that took place in the yard of an old house that once belonged to an old doctor.

Did everybody start out with a radio shack detector? I got one for one of my birthdays in elementary school. Can't remember which though. I used it a couple of times. Actually found my 14 k gold necklace I lost in the yard. It was on top the ground but under the grass. I don't think I ever used it again. Can't remember what happened to it either. This should have been the time I upgraded to a Whites XLT and really started detected. I hunted with a guy who had been hunting for 33 years. I love listening to all his stories about pulling out all that silver. We hunted the same spot together 5 days ago and still pulled 3 wheaties out of the same ground.

I posted this on another forum some time ago

this was some time ago but i still remember it as if it was yesterday

Last week i bought a Minelab Sovereigh Elite and living in Spain it had to be posted from the UK, normaly the postage takes about 3-4 days to arrive.
I was hopeing it would arrive by friday as i paid for it on monday and it was sent early that day but when i went on friday to the post office(we don't get delivery on friday)nothing to be found, the weekend with the new detector up the spout.
Today just by chance :lol:i was waiting outside the door when the post office opened, after being like a child on chrissy eve. The girl said ahh good morning what a coincidence i have a package for you today, me with a cheezer on my face, "oh realy, how nice".
Having got to the car i put it on the front seat while i looked in my pocket for my Swiss army i always carry. Better check its ok now before doing the 15km run home to find its not.
Anyway with the shineing swiss army in hand i started to cut the Fragile tape holding the packaging closed, it was too well packed inside varios waterproof bags and what seemed like miles of tape(bloody stuff)
I now had it all off and got to the box, that was also taped up, by this time i was sweating a bit cos we are still in 20ºC outside and inside the car was quite warm so i opened the window a bit that let in a nice breeze.

Savoring the moment i slowly opened the minelab box and to my surprise hundreds of polistyrene E's jumped out and started sticking to everything and everywhere, the slight breeze from the open window was enough, as i pulled one of it stuck somewhere else, i had them in my hair, stuck to my jumper, to my hands and even one on my specks, the dashboard was absolutely covered all over even the windscreen. The worst was, without my knowledge and being parked on the main street a croud had gathered and were highly amused at me with my struggle to get these damn ee's of me and everything else. Looking like a beetroot i started up the car and drove home peering through the e covered windscreen. Can you imagine how many of these bloody things you can fit in a minelab box, i had to pick of nearly every one to get to the goodies.
Obviously i and everything else must have been charged with static electricity, funny thing is though, there were two colours green and white, the green ones did'nt stick only the white ones.
(Note to Sender:- PPPlease get rid of the white e's before they attack someone else ) only joking

Hope this amuses you as it does me now, not at the minute it didn't though, and stand well back the next time you open a box, just in case

well since TN Ninja Digger already paid his entry fee and western was gonna give to someone who couldnt pay i guess we will do that then. thanks western.

Back
Top Bottom