What's in your pack?

leoeotw

I took a couple of photos of what I pack when I go detecting. Now I am a beginner and I may not have everything I need but I am learning. My main focus on my pack is to keep it compact and light so if I get a chance to go MDing I can grab my X-70 and this pack and I am set.

49845-albums2920-picture726514t.jpg

49845-albums2920-picture726513t.jpg

Let's see what ya got!

Your right bruinvikes. good suggestions.

any one ever take an empty gatorade bottle in case there is no trees near by. :no: :roll:

Toothbrush, Maxpedition dump pouch, golf towel, camera, lesche, gpp, jewelers lupe, permit holder, canteen, a band aid or two, and a spare 9volt battery.
Oh, and a folded tarp to keep my holes looking nice!

Attachments

• rsz_gearlayout.jpg
    rsz_gearlayout.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,154
detectorOCD.
Nice setup. Looks like you choose you name correctly.;)
Did you convert a leather carpenter's tool pouch?

Take it from me fellas, if your deep in the woods and nature calls, you better have some T.P. in that pack! I speak from experience:D get a roll wrap it in a plastic zip lock, nice and dry from the rain, you will not be sorry.

armydude

I hear ya. The Bear facts of life! :yes:

Any one take a spray bottle or water bottle for cleaning off finds?

I carry just the basics because I normally just hunt parks with the family.

• Fisher F2 and Bounty Hunter
• Lesche
• Small hand Shovel
• Pinpointers (HF and Fpoint)
• Bottle of liquid refreshment
• Gloves
• Long screwdriver
• Extra Batteries
• S&W M&P9
• Something to hold finds / trash in (gettting a max pouch soon)
• Snacks for the kids

Batteries, leatherman, headlight, paper towels, 2 washcloth's, jeweler's loupe, big coil, tool belt (pouch, lesche, ppointer, golf towel), sweatshirt, kneepads, protien snacks, gloves.

That's the gist of it. I love the big green garrett backpack you can stuff the world in there. :D

detectorOCD.
Nice setup. Looks like you choose you name correctly.;)
Did you convert a leather carpenter's tool pouch?

Yep. It's an electrican's pouch I got at the thrift store. My buddy did some modifications to it and it's awesome. I can take the pinpointer and lesche in and out of the bag without looking down and fiddling with it.

First timer...looking at options

No set-up yet but I'm leaning toward a MOLLE kit with a thigh rig. I figure it would be lighter than a vest and more adaptable than just a waist pack. I like the idea of a thigh rig as it's within easy reach when your on a target. Items I will carry will probably include beside the obvious, a flashlight, first aid kit, magnify loupe, multi-tool, boot knife, water bottle or Camelbak depending on conditions, Boonie hat, gloves, some sort of action cam to document my finds, extra batteries, cell phone, artifact brush, small steel probe to tap out surface finds, two way radio with a compass, weather radio and altimeter, GPS also for marking my finds and route. Seems like a lot but it's all subject to duration and location whether I gear heavy or light... so it's really not that much. :research: still in research mode so I might add or subtract from that list in time...

This is a GREAT post! Helping me to decide what to carry once I get my MD.

What I *used* to carry was
Detector
Screwdriver/probe
Batteries
magnifying glass
Water
Fiberglass collapsible mobility cane

I will be expanding on that. The nice thing about being "between detectors" is that while I wait, I can build my kit.

Things not mentioned here:
One silver coin, found or not found... to "ring-test" coins found in the field.
Epi-pen for those who need them
Headphones
Bike chain with lock (for securing your stuff if you HAVE to leave it somewhere)
ID and MedicAlert
Golf Tees or other markers

Wow! You guys have some serious looking kits here! :cool:

Reminds me of what I should be collecting right now for the spring thaw.

What about eye protection? Not sure if I saw any practical goggles in those kits. :?:

I usualy travel as light as possible. Detector, scoop (which one depending on spot), finds bag (with spare batt's).
Only on far hunts i take my backpack with me with some extra stuff in it (beverige, food, gps, compass, FAK).
And never leave without my full battery mobile phone to get help when needed!!!

But always hoping to have to carry lots of finds back :D

I just put a set of these orange bicycle grips on my lesche
41kohxEGoAL._SS500_.jpg

It actually comes with a nice cap for the end so you don't get poked with metal from the handle. I can see it from a mile away if I leave it in the grass!

Are you talking about what you carry while detecting, or what you carry in the car FOR detecting? My bag is always with me and it's HUGE. It's a double-sided, double shotgun soft case. I carry 3 extra coils, all premounted on lower rods. I have spare rechargeable battery and car charger, backup battery case with alkalines, spare headphones, spare diggers, mini-shovel, backup carry bag for tools and trash (for when I forget my main pouch). I've also got some colored golf tees for marking spots, water bottle for field cleaning, hard plastic pill container for silver finds. I still have room (barely) to pack my E-Trac in it when needed.

HOLY COW! Guys this is some good stuff! I find it very useful to know how others prepare for the hunt.:yes: Looks like I need to start thinking about a backpack for longer hunts.
I see some MDers take some self defense measures along with them. This could be a good idea depending on the area hunted.
I use a folding spade I got at wally-mart. I see a lot of the Lesche tools. I wonder if anyone has made their own digging tool? I was thinking of cutting up an old shovel head to try it.

WHAT no has-mat suit and mask in case we are attacked while detecting in the park I hope you are not carrying:laughing:;):lol: all that while detecting

Back
Top Bottom