Ring coin.....1916 1 Franc

MadTownScoop

Elite Member
Ok. So here in Wiscoinsin it got up to??? 64 degrees today I guess. Buddy called and said lets go out. Only out about an hour and got $1.43 in change and a silver ring. Thought it felt hand made. Got back to his place and got out my magnifying glass and looked at it. Found letters along both outer edges of the inside of it. Along with 1916 upside down compared to the letters. Just looked up French 1916 coins and compared the letters inside vs what a 1916 1 Franc coin has. Thats what Ive got. Inside I can read the following.

LIBE ???? REP . EGA other side of inside reads
RATERNITE 1916 and FRANCA??? BE?OOE.

What I come up with is "LIBERTE.EGALITE FRATERNITE-1916" For the back and "REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE " for the front.

Its been folded and shaped in a manner that wont show all the letters due to where it was connected. One of my more unique finds to date.

Also had issues with my MXT PRO. Kept locking up on me. I mean it would get a signal and then the screen would just freeze where it was. Not even a large fence post would make it do anything. Turn off, back on and it would be fine for a little bit. "LOW BATT 6" was showing but Ive never had it do that due to low battery. Ideas. ?

Attachments

• France_1916_Sower_1Franc__53258.1421275454.1280.1280.jpg
    France_1916_Sower_1Franc__53258.1421275454.1280.1280.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 428
  • DSCN9972.JPG
    DSCN9972.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 377
  • DSCN9971.JPG
    DSCN9971.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 374
It's not been connected, it's solid...was hammered out then the center had a hole drilled and was either carved to size with a knife if it's a vintage piece, say from a soldier making it while he was in France for one of the World Wars...or if modern probably done with a Dremel. Excellent find!

It's not been connected, it's solid...was hammered out then the center had a hole drilled and was either carved to size with a knife if it's a vintage piece, say from a soldier making it while he was in France for one of the World Wars...or if modern probably done with a Dremel. Excellent find!

With magnifying glass I can see the joint. Where it was one long piece folded again and again to get letters along edges then rolled and joined with melted silver. I'll try and get good pic of the joint.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=159649&highlight=coin+rings+french

Read all the way through this thread. The consensus is they were made to raise money around "The Great War"

The one in that thread is one of three coin ring I have found over the years.

Wish mine was as clear as the one in the pictures. Mine is really hard to read. Not done very well at all. Found about 3 feet from the edge of a skate boarding "hole" if ya wanna call it that. A square with rounded edges, 4-5 foot deep hole. ??? Who knows. Maybe the ring was dug up and put where I found it when they dug the hole for the cement hole?? No ideas. Unique is what I call it. First ring of the year, First day out for the year and first coin/ring period. Hope the year keeps going when I get out again.
Thanks for the link and the comments guys. Yeah MattMit it has been a while.

Great find there MadTown! Yeah...low batts..My atPro does not like 'half deads' at all! .If I'm far away from the car, I will turn my rig off and give it a little time to bring them back up in order to finish a hunt...or heat them up with my lighter...but yeah, some rigs will just not run at full potential when the batts fall off...My F70 on the other hand, will run just fine right down to ZERO power!

Good on ya for getting out in these Horrible Feb conditions! 60 degrees and that bright Sunshine nearly killed me yesterday! :laughing:

Yeah, Been a while since Ive been able, or wanting to get out. Last year was a bad year. July 9th my 99 yr old Grandmother passed 2 weeks after being told she had massive cancer in her belly. If not for that we all expected her to make 104 or so. She love seeing some of the things I find and Ive shown her lots of things you people find. She was mentally sharp as a tack. Physically? Legs and hips were giving out but she was fine otherwise. Cancer took us all very much by surprise. 5 Weeks later my bird dog, Willie, Suddenly went blind over 3 days. Its the IMHA Immune system !!!! that destroyed the retinal connection with the brain. STILL..... We went out pheasant hunting with some "RexSpecs" for his eyes to protect them and believe it or not. He scented, Tracked, Flushed AND Found the downed bird before I did and I could see the area it fell. I was in tears with that bird. Only one we got but a successful season none the less. Thanks for all the good words guys and I hope to show you more stuff this year than the last two. Only about $25 in the last two years combined.

Keep swinging and GL HH to all.

I have an MXT All Pro too, and I always change my batteries out when it reads #9.....a #6 reading should have already shut the machine down. The stock coil that came with mine started malfunctioning about a year after I bought the machine. The tone would scream continuously when the sensitivity was set anywhere above preset. Whites figured the problem out over the phone and sent me a new coil (on warranty) and everything is fine now. You might try calling them and explaining the problem......I'm sure they would have a solution.

Goldpaninut, Thanks for the info. Yeah, Batteries are Lithium Ultimate energizers BUT,, They have two months in my trail cameras but they all still read 100% in November when I took them down. Batteries been sitting in a zip loc bag since. Read 7 when i first turned it on. As for the coil. Ive had it three years, Bought second hand. Cant remember if I got it from someone here or off Ebay. I'll put fresh batteries in it and if it acts up I'll contact whites.

Update on Ring..

Took ring to coin shop when I was getting some of my Grannies old coins assessed. They looked at the ring and were confused as to how they (creator) managed to turn it inside out AND Have letters and numbers facing opposite direction. Shop also said they think its authentic meaning made near the date of the coin. Possibly in the trenches of WWII or inbetween WWI and WWII. Either way the shop said they think its made with silver solder to fill in the gaps inside and to smooth it out. I thought maybe it was made more recently (last 10 years or so) by a High School kid in jewelry making class or something. The shop said they didnt think so.

Back
Top Bottom