Roman villa? What Roman villa?

71DHB

Elite Member
Ahh... where to begin. I'll just start with saying that I read up on a few local MD forums here last night before falling asleep indicating where Jewellery had been lost in the last little while at the sea, lakes and fields. I was pretty tired having woken up at 2 am the same day and not having decided whether to go detecting today or not. (I probably have very few outings left if any) Deciding on whether going or not and where to go wasn't easy. I decided to go to a different lake near by that didn't have alot of terrain to cover like the sea. This lake I visited today has a few spots that in the past have produced many spectacular finds.I hit 3 different spots of the lake very quickly. The first I visited 2 weeks ago and I did again today. The second I did last year and the third is a place that I haven't in 3 years now because the last time I was there the local Polizia del lago (Lake police) paid me a visit while I was detecting in chin high water. That day they were called because about 100 meters from me there was a guy and his daughter whose car got stuck in the sand and needed help.:shock: He saw me too and came over to tell me that :shock:I couldn't detect there because about 200 meters to my left on the grass in the forest there was an ancient Roman villa with no indication whatsoever. He told me I could have my MD confiscated. Now, before that day I had detected there many times before finding gold and on 2 occasions stopped to talk to 2 different police forces. We talked about the hobby and one of the officers detected on land himself telling me he found roman coins too. So no problem:D Anyways, from when I was told 3 years ago I never went back...:impatient: except for today. My curiosity was stronger than me. I jumped in the water and immediately went chest to chin high water pulling out a few Euro and even some old lira which is a good sign. After about 200 meters I turned around and shortly after that a loud clear clean sound went into the headphones. In the scoop was this Gold ring that surprised me and made me just get out of the water back to the car. I can imagine what else is sitting down there. The other silver chain and other bits and money were found on the other 2 sides of the lake. I'm pretty tired and if things go the way they want I might detect again before I leave the country. For now we'll just wait and see. Thanks for looking and enjoy the pics. HH and GL to everyone.

Attachments

• DSCN3794.JPG
    DSCN3794.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN3781.JPG
    DSCN3781.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 322
  • DSCN3788.JPG
    DSCN3788.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN3793.JPG
    DSCN3793.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN3789.JPG
    DSCN3789.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 292
Congratz on the fatty gold ring.

I love the legal observations re.: Italy in your post too :laughing:

..... and came over to tell me that :shock:I couldn't detect there because about 200 meters to my left on the grass in the forest there was an ancient Roman villa with no indication whatsoever. He told me I could have my MD confiscated. ......

Ok. There's what one "duly appointed official" tells you. Right ? HOWEVER:

..... Now, before that day I had detected there many times before finding gold and on 2 occasions stopped to talk to 2 different police forces. We talked about the hobby and one of the officers detected on land himself telling me he found roman coins too. So no problem:D ......

There's what OTHER "duly appointed officials" tell you. Either via tacit approval, or downright overt approval. Eh ?
:roll:

And you cite that the only reason for the singular busy-body:

..... That day they were called because about 100 meters from me there was a guy and his daughter whose car got stuck in the sand and needed help.:shock: He saw me too and came over to tell me.......

So it sounds to me that as long as you "call it a day", and leave if you see some situation that's going to merit busy-bodies from crawling all over the place, that ..... you are probably not likely to run into that singular griper again.

I just LOVE this post of yours Dub!

"My curiosity was stronger than me" :laughing::laughing:

Nice gold there Buddy! She is indeed a cruel Mistress, and despite the risks and warnings, you went straight in and got right on it!:laughing:

I'm gonna use this line of yours if you dont mind..Its actually brilliant to explain certain Life situations succinctly....

"My curiosity was stronger than me!":laughing::laughing: Hell Yeah it is!

Congratz on the fatty gold ring.

I love the legal observations re.: Italy in your post too :laughing:

Ok. There's what one "duly appointed official" tells you. Right ? HOWEVER:

There's what OTHER "duly appointed officials" tell you. Either via tacit approval, or downright overt approval. Eh ?
:roll:

And you cite that the only reason for the singular busy-body:

So it sounds to me that as long as you "call it a day", and leave if you see some situation that's going to merit busy-bodies from crawling all over the place, that ..... you are probably not likely to run into that singular griper again.

Thanks Tom! It's best not to dwell too much on on "legal observations" re Italy though. Things here IMO are very complicated and infinite. Detectorists here, even water ones have a stigma still of being graverobbers. Im sure you don't have these same problems in sunny California huh?:lol:

I just LOVE this post of yours Dub!

"My curiosity was stronger than me" :laughing::laughing:

Nice gold there Buddy! She is indeed a cruel Mistress, and despite the risks and warnings, you went straight in and got right on it!:laughing:

I'm gonna use this line of yours if you dont mind..Its actually brilliant to explain certain Life situations succinctly....

"My curiosity was stronger than me!":laughing::laughing: Hell Yeah it is!

Thank you my friend! Im glad you liked it. Go right ahead. Its my pleasure. Do you know how many times I passed by that lake and that certain beach and told myself " Im sure there is stuff in that water and on that beach?" Years ago I found an 18 gram 18k bracelet there.:yes: Something inside me yesterday just snapped and I went for it. It only took me 20 min too! On another side of this lake there is a Roman funeral monument right in front of the beach but I never dared to go in there. There is roman pottery scattered everywhere.

:dingding: Love those nice & chunky 18K's! :yes: Funny how different policemen "interpret" laws differently.

....Things here IMO are very complicated and infinite. ....

Perhaps. And the fastest way to make it MORE "complicated and infinite" is to start "swatting hornet's nests" and asking desk-bound pencil pushing bureaucrats for "clarification". I bet they dream up even more confusion or dire sounding things "to address the pressing issue".

To me (based on your story) the only thing "complicated" about it so far, is a factor of WHO you bump into. And thus so too could the same thing be said anywhere in the world. You can ALWAYS find some singular person who 'doesn't like it' (and might even allude to some rule or law they *think* applies). Is it really our job to run around trying to please every last person on earth ?

.... Im sure you don't have these same problems in sunny California huh?:lol:

Yes. I've seen first hand the same thing over and over here in CA. Where: The answer you get depends on WHO you ask or bump into. And how you phrase it, their mood, etc...

There are places here you can detect historically till you're blue in the face. But all of the sudden, one singular ranger or archie , who just happens to be in the area, says "you can't do that". Heck, they might even have some scary verbiage they can point to . (that in their minds applies to the activity). We just give lip service and move on. Odds are, they go back 100 miles away wherever they came from, and the matter goes away.

Because if we were to think it's our obligation to "fight" them or "seek clarification", that might make things worse. So we just count them as flukes, and avoid that/those singular individuals in the future. Problem solved :roll:

Perhaps. And the fastest way to make it MORE "complicated and infinite" is to start "swatting hornet's nests" and asking desk-bound pencil pushing bureaucrats for "clarification". I bet they dream up even more confusion or dire sounding things "to address the pressing issue".

To me (based on your story) the only thing "complicated" about it so far, is a factor of WHO you bump into. And thus so too could the same thing be said anywhere in the world. You can ALWAYS find some singular person who 'doesn't like it' (and might even allude to some rule or law they *think* applies). Is it really our job to run around trying to please every last person on earth ?

Yes. I've seen first hand the same thing over and over here in CA. Where: The answer you get depends on WHO you ask or bump into. And how you phrase it, their mood, etc...

There are places here you can detect historically till you're blue in the face. But all of the sudden, one singular ranger or archie , who just happens to be in the area, says "you can't do that". Heck, they might even have some scary verbiage they can point to . (that in their minds applies to the activity). We just give lip service and move on. Odds are, they go back 100 miles away wherever they came from, and the matter goes away.

Because if we were to think it's our obligation to "fight" them or "seek clarification", that might make things worse. So we just count them as flukes, and avoid that/those singular individuals in the future. Problem solved :roll:

I agree with you Tom with what you said. The Archeo laws here state that it is prohibited to search for Historical objects anywhere period. If something found is more than 500 years old found you have 48 hours to bring it in or face the law. The law also states with water detecting that anything found in the water(rings,gold etc) has to be given to the Municipal police and after 60 days in can be claimed. Do you know the paperwork involved that there is? What gets me is that it's fine with me (not really because I like the laws in the UK:yes:) but there isn't even a sign or indication on these abandoned places. Here they also state that all historical objects pertain to the people. So then why do you ask me for money when you put it in a museum to see something that pertains to me? YOU have to go to the respective governing area and ask them if there are any historical areas where one can't detect. Why so complicated? That's what I was saying...if things aren't complicated in this country then it wouldn't be normal and this is only one aspect of living here. You can't even imagine the rest. I think you guys in the states would put up some sort of indication right? Is that so complicated to do? Also another problem is that there are to many chiefs and not enough indians. Everyone wants to be the sheriff. Last year I was down south and I was ready to jump in the water when a man who was snorkeling told me I couldnt detect because of roman ships in the water. I said sure ok and moved on. When I went back to the port I spoke to the coast guard and they confirmed I could. So here we go again. I didnt go back. We (Detectorists) are slowly (remember this is Italy) pushing for more respect with this hobby over here but who knows they might even banned it in the future. By the way, if they don't ban it in the future and you'd like to visit me one day and detect, you are more than welcome also:yes:Ciao

Back
Top Bottom