Roman villa? What Roman villa?

... in the future and you'd like to visit me one day and detect, you are more than welcome ...

Ha! My sister married a French immigrant. He grew up near the border of France & Italy, so he's fluent in both languages. And believe me: he and I have had many talks of ... someday ... he's supposed to be my tour guide and translator, and we'd detect hither and yonder all over . Just haven't put the trip together yet.

.... If something found is more than 500 years old found you have 48 hours to bring it in or face the law.....

That's funny how ... over there ... objects less than 500 yrs. old are considered "too new" to bother with. Heck, I'd be content to load up on 400 yr. old silver coins, wouldn't you :roll: And seriously now: Who is out there with a calculator doing the math on the ages of coins someone finds anyhow :?:

And also: Wouldn't those laws apply to public land ? So ... like England ... you can hunt private farmer fallow land till you're blue in the face, right ?

.... The law also states with water detecting that anything found in the water(rings,gold etc) has to be given to the Municipal police and after 60 days in can be claimed. Do you know the paperwork involved that there is? ....

Sheesk, do you think that's just Italy ? We have it here in the USA. In all 50 states applying to all public land. It's called "lost & found laws". There is a value threshold of various like $100 or more, $200 or more, etc.... Beyond which you are required to turn L&F items into the police.

Ok, let's take a show of hands: Next time you look at USA beach hunting show & tell forums, how many of those guys do you think went running to the nearest police station to turn in all their rings ? :roll: The laws were born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s. And ... sure ... if a Brinks armored car door accidentally swung open, the law makes good sense. But no .... not applied to casual fumble fingers stuff. Could they be ? SURE! But in actual practice, .... they're not.

Hope to see more show & tell from your Italy digs (499 yr. old or less, of course, haha)

If one day you make it over here the offer is always valid. Years ago when I first land detected over here I was shocked at the age of the coins that I used to find, then it got normal. About the public land, really you are confined to a few areas because of national parks, historical areas, destroying the flora etc is a no no. If you do find someone who has land then you are ok I guess. Always a pleasure to hear from you, the info you give and your view on things Tom! :)

Back
Top Bottom