Attention Members!

angellionel

Elite Member
The City of New York Parks & Recreation Department has announced that effective May 27, 2008, no metal detecting will be allowed at the following parks, both located in Brooklyn, New York:

1) Prospect Park
2) Owl's Head Park

The use of a metal detector at either of these parks may result in the revocation of your NYC metal detecting permit and a summons for unauthorized possession of a metal detector at a disallowed park. Prospect park has for years been a favorite of many detectorist, and not all may be aware of this recent change.

The notice is unclear as to why these two parks are now being excluded, but questions can be directed to Oneika Myers of the Urban Park Service, at (212) 360-2779.

It is important that such regulations be respected, since violations could move the NYC Park Service to further restrict our ability to detect at other large parks found within the New York City metropolitan area.

NYC & NYS will take your money any way they can get it.... if there is an activity, they will figure out how to permit it, tax it or license it. RickO

NYC & NYS will take your money any way they can get it.... if there is an activity, they will figure out how to permit it, tax it or license it. RickO

The permit is currently free though. Still, I know what you mean, as I lived there for many years. It may not be long before they start charging for the permit.

They are trying to bring in permits to detect beaches in the UK. More of a money making scheme than anything else.

I lived in the U.K. back in the 80's and you needed one from the Post Office back then. They stopped it and want to start it again?:lol:

Angel, I am glad it is presently free... but I fear it will not be long before they impose a fee... I know NYS and how they work (have a house there too).. and they give nothing away.. at least not for long. Sad, indeed. RickO

NY

Hi there I have a coupe friends in Tuckahoo that go to a couple of dog parks see if you can get in there. Last I visited one with old foundations but i didnt have my detector see if dog parks are out?
-Kelly V

Kinda reminds me of

Blood Diamonds and what war was responsible for it. I guess next thing at that park kids wont be allowed to swing on the swings unless you sign a waiver with the city that they wont be held liable if they accidentally fall of them.

PH

Back
Top Bottom