First dirt with the 5.3" coil.

hoser

Forum Supporter
The weather was really nice today, cold, but nice. I waited till the temp finally got up to 36F and decided to try out my new 5.3" coil I just got. Took it to the old campground I hunted last year and started hunting what bare spots I could find. I wanted to see how it performed with the MD cranked right up, so I set my AC to almost max, PreAmp Gain to max, and very little disc. I am quite impressed at just how sensitive this little raskel is. I was able to pick coins out between the trash signals with no problem. :yes: Got quite a few good strong signals, but alas, they will have to wait a tad bit longer till the ground softens up. Wasn't out but about an hour so finds were few. But I did get to play with the coil for awhile. Came away with just two dimes and 15 mem cents. They were all greater than 6" deep. Craig is right in the fact that it is like swinging a softball on a stick, but I do believe this coil will get me into those tight spots I really need to hunt. I think I'm gonna like this coil a LOT! :D

Very cool Hoser. I believe that is the coil i'm going to get. I wondered how it would do in the trashy areas and about the sensitivity. Thanks for the post.

Kinda contradicts the ol' saying, "bigger is better" ay, bro? :lol:
If the place youre searchin' is "known jus' by you", you might wanna put down some "cocktail flag/umbrellas"... kinda put them digs on hold for a spell... then dig the poop outa them come thaw-out. ;)

"Krom said;"then dig the poop outa them come thaw-out." :shock: :shock: :shock: :?: I don't know if I want to dig that, but just in case, what settings would I use? :lol:

YardByrd, I know you will like the coil. It did get between the bad targets real good for me. And this was in an area that I have already hit pretty hard. Good luck, and HH.

Hey Hoser I'm glad to hear you where able to get out and try your new coil. What made you decide to go with the 5.3 vs say the 4x6 shooter? I am looking to buy a small coil this spring and need some input on the pro's and con's of these two coils (depth, sensitivity, separation, etc.).

Personal preference I guess. I like the concentric coils better. I have the 1400DD and don't like it very much. I find it harder to pinpoint with. Maybe it just me, and I need to give it more of a chance.

Back
Top Bottom