Vacation / airline - how to transport a detector?

digdug1968

Elite Member
Going to Disney in FL with my mom, and my 8yo daughter this June - and wondering - how to take my metal detector along?

Haven't flown since the late 1980's, and of course, much has changed since then. How would I package it, to prevent damage, avoid extra costs and fees, and so on? I was thinking a hard gun case would work fine, but in this day and age:shock: probably not. What about the digger tool? Looks kinda like a weapon to the uninitiated, or the nice folks who frisk you ;)before you board.........

Anyone have experience or suggestions? I'm fine with a week off at Disney, but being at the ocean, in Florida, and not going detecting for at least an evening, seems almost wasteful......... not to mention the little bit of relaxation it will give me after all that time I spend at the park. I'll deal with mickey and pals, but I'm sure I'm gonna need my tiny bit of detectin' time to keep me sane.:p

Believe it or not, you can still fly with guns so a hard rifle case (with plenty of padding) should be ok, just check with your airline though for more info. As far as extra fees and charges go, it's going to cost you, nothing is free on flights any more. Make sure your digger is packed in the case with your detector as well. I would also suggest buying the TSA locks for all of your luggage, if not then you may find your luggage unsecure if they have to cut the locks for an inspection.

Back
Top Bottom