What is going on with this hole?

LaenDrawoh

Fair warning, incoming wall of text. :P

This is my second day metal detecting so I am still in the dig everything mode. I got a good solid iron hit with a low VDI number. I used pinpoint mode on my detector and got it down to a small area (same as I have done on my other finds). The depth meter shows it at max depth (which with the stock coil on my F2 should be around 8" or so). I start digging and 15" and twice the width of my original plug later I finally find 4 small pieces of wire. When I rescan the hole the detector still shows there is something in the middle at max depth. If I lower the coil into the hole it will stay mainly on iron though briefly ping on nickel or zinc, ad the depth varies between max depth and 4 to 6 inches now. My pinpointer hasn't arrived from HF yet so I can't check the sides of the hole very well but the detector still has the strongest signal in the middle of the hole not near the sides so I don't think I have missed the target in the edges of the hole. I also am checking each handful of dirt as it comes out of the hole with the detector, and scanned my dirt pile as well so I am confident I didn't just miss the target in my dug dirt.The ground is moist and near a pond. I have heard of the halo effect but surly these small pieces of wire shouldn't be setting my detector off at 15" deep even if that is a factor should they? I know what ever is in the hole is probably "junk" but after I have spent this long with it I really want to see what it is. I have included pictures of the retrieved wire as well as of the hole below in case that helps as well. For now I have placed a garbage bag in the hole and filled it with the dirt and placed the plugs over it. I will either hit it again tomorrow or wait for the pinpointer depending on what everyone here advises. This is on my grandfathers land (where I am currently living) so I am not leaving a park or someone elses yard torn up. I am looking for advise on the best way to proceed in recovering the target (the backhoe has a flat so I couldn't Randy Savage it even if I was willing to :P). Do I keep digging with the Leshe, or make the hole bigger and hit it with a full sized shovel? Why would my detector be able to detect something so far down (not that I am complaining about added depth but I don't understand how it could find something that deep)?

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Thanks in advance for your advise and help. :)

So you are on a quest, huh?

My advice, just walk away.
It is something real big and real deep like a pipe or something.

The same thing happened to me...got carried away.
Don't let it happen to you, too.

Attachments

• bsrf.jpg
    bsrf.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 812
  • aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 790
  • aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 788
Maybe an old car buried there? Just kidding but hey, it could be! When I first started out I had a hole about 18 inches deep that finally produced an old axe head. I was using a Tesoro silver umax and I couldn't discriminate it out. Chances are it's a large piece of iron but could just as well be more of that wire that is stuck in the sides of the hole and setting it off. Might even be a jar of money....or anything. I would keep at it but rather than frustrate yourself digging, wait for the pin pointer and keep detecting since you can come back to it.

As far as how deep your detector picks up targets, large items you can detect deeper like cans, large iron.....antique cars.

I am fairly confident it is not a car as this land has been in my family for 4 generations and no one "lost" a car here that I am aware of (I will ask my grandfather tomorrow just in case ;)). The pipes for the oil wells are 20' plus away from this hole, its on a little peninsula that jets out into the pond. The piping from the water pump we use to water the garden doesn't come on this side of the pond either. My grandfather is the one that made the pond as well so it shouldn't be something like an old boat anchor (though whatever it is might be able to be used as one :P). Before the land was owned by my family it did used to be a county poor farm so it might be part of a plow or some such perhaps.

If it's more than 4the generations old, I would dig it just out of curiosity.

Prolly just junk/iron...but an axehead would be kinda cool. Could very well be an abandoned well casing too.

I search woods and lakes with my Excal and occasionally come across big objects buriried deep that give big signals. Horseshoes, axe heads, rr spikes, hammer heads, etc. there could be more wire down there who knows. My advice is dig it and find out what's there and why your machine is responding this way - consider it a learning experience. I almost gave up on a similar signal in a lake and was over a foot down, but persisted and eventually unearthed a beautiful piece of natural float copper. That said, if there is a potential danger like buried utility or you risk destroying property and getting someone ticked off then I would walk away.

I'd get out the big shovel. My bh finds large iron at 2+ feet and in my own yard I dig for it. Sometimes it's pretty cool finds.

Maybe an old car buried there? Just kidding but hey, it could be! When I first started out I had a hole about 18 inches deep that finally produced an old axe head. I was using a Tesoro silver umax and I couldn't discriminate it out. Chances are it's a large piece of iron but could just as well be more of that wire that is stuck in the sides of the hole and setting it off. Might even be a jar of money....or anything. I would keep at it but rather than frustrate yourself digging, wait for the pin pointer and keep detecting since you can come back to it.

As far as how deep your detector picks up targets, large items you can detect deeper like cans, large iron.....antique cars.

Having a home built on an old car dump this is a little too close to home, my detector would resign if i switched it on in the backwoods....but if anyone ever needs some slightly rusted spares for the model t's or similar then you just need a shovel and a lot of energy:laughing:

Reread your post. Without a pinpointer I'd be inclined to widen that hole. I'd bet you've got something in the walls giving that signal. I'm not familiar with your machine but that's my experience with the larger 10" Excal coil.

We call that digging to china in the hobby. :digginahole: lol Sorry not trying to make fun.
I had that happen to me today on a high tone signal with the F2 and
it was a piece of old farm fence wire at 6 inches down. Took the iron wire
out of the hole and still had a high tone signal at max depth. I bailed out
right there. Been there done that and no thank you. The F2 is not going
to pick up a coin at 12 inches, only large iron can do that.

As you get more experience you will know exactly when to bail out and not
let your curiosity make you dig to china.

A lot of the needless digging can be avoided by using you MD pinpointer
as an object width indicator. Press and hold your pinpointer in while making a sweep, the pp hum
should fall off sharply on each side of the target with a width of 3/4 inch
or less also do this at 90 degrees to the target. If the width of the target is large
like 6 inches I don't dig it.

I passed on all the china digging holes today by just checking the width of
the target before I even started to dig. This trick will also work for large pop cans
that come up as a high tone.

Take care,
CDNsilver

I get a nice suprise on occasion while digging something large and deep. I found axe heads and large pieces of old cast iron ornate stoves sound off nicely even when deep. It just depends where I am hunting and if I feel like digging. A couple of things I have found digging deep when expecting junk were a early 1900s ELKS belt buckle and a beautiful complete hand forged Broad Axe with a 12" blade. The other thing to consider (although I don't think they exist as much as everyone would like to think) is a hidden or lost cache of coins....possibly in a metal box or mason jar with a metal lid....just sayin. Dig my friend, dig.

Mineralized Ground

When objects are in the ground a long time , their minerals leach out in surrounding ground and create a bigger signal. You might be picking up highly mineralized ground from the ferrous objects you are digging. Chances are there are still bits of ferrous material in the dirt.

I've had those signals too. Hammer head, mower blade, big chunk of iron, tec... If you have time, the curiosity and the property, I say grab a shovel and tell us what you find. You just never know.... But always have fun!

Your target is in the side of the hole :D

If it really were large and centered in the bottom, but very deep, then it would be a high tone regardless of the type of metal. Large, deep targets will usually read very high.

But from the sounds you describe, I think you're right, it's going to be junk - probably more of that wire, or a rusty nail. The heads can spike and make you think it's something else.

Bet you can't wait for that pinpointer! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom