Silver uMax Users!!

Diggin

Hi all you Tesoro Silver uMax fans, what do you think of the Silver's depth? How deep do you think it hits coins? I know this is a stupid question but I wanted to see what your guy's results were. I have one, but haven't taken it out at all. If you have a test garden that also would be helpful. I think we should have a section on this forum that estimates how deep each detector "detects" on different objects. That way we could tell everybody who asks the dreaded question of " How deep does that thing go?" about this wonderfuls site.

For coins that have been in the ground long enough to blend in with the matrix, I find 6" is about max on a penny. With a slow sweep speed, I can gain another inch. And the a/m mode adds another inch. Other soil factors and time buried can either add or subtract from these figures.

Last edited:
But how do you feel about it's depth? Is it not very deep? Do you wish it went deeper? Or do you think it's good enough?

Silver U Max is a good detector period. How deep it will go depends on an infinite number of factors. I loved mine and its as light as a cool whip container.I will be getting another just because of sellers remorse and its build quality is pretty good too. A great company.:cool:

Depth is about receive sensitivity, coil size, frequency, soil composition and a large variety of factors in the electronics' ability to read what is being received. Silver uMax is a great detector, but it is a basic detector. It runs off of a single 9v battery.

If you can reliably dig targets at 6-7 inches then it is accomplishing the mission it was built to do. Personally, I would be perfectly happy with that. I use my starter detector all the time, after a few hours with an Etrac any detectorist is going to be a hot mess. Silver uMax is like a Caribbean vacation in comparison.

But how do you feel about it's depth? Is it not very deep? Do you wish it went deeper? Or do you think it's good enough?
Works fine for me-as I mostly hunt parks, tot lots, etc. I once got a signal with my Cz-5. It was a ring at 8". I just happened to have my Silver and it gave a very faint signal-but still there. I most likely would not have noticed it in normal hunting mode, but it goes to show that it wasn't far behind the Cz-and that's a dual frequency, fourier domain detector! I'm sure the Vaquero probably would have matched it easily.

Back
Top Bottom