• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

After the storm surge beach hunt query..

Seaking406

Elite Member
Greetings, hoping someone could help me out with this.. In my area, we experienced a lot of heavy winter storm surges that rolled rocks up onto the beach, over the beach, onto the roads and pulled all of the sand away from the beaches.. where there used to be nice sandy beaches, all there is now are softball sized rocks or larger/smaller sized rocks jammed in tight together.. all the sand is now gone except for the very low tide area zone.. what a contrast from last summer.. wow.

So is it worth the while to swing a stick around that low tide area for anything? there's probably 3 feet wide swath if that from the rocks to the water, so it's very wet and saturated. Is there any chance of finding anything in that area or would that be kind of looking for a needle in a haystack and best go look elsewhere?

Talk about disappointing, last month I was on the Panhandle beaches, found my first gold ring on the third ping of my brand new ACE250 and now I'm looking at.. geesus it's cold out there.. raw cold.. gnaw at your bones cold on the beaches of rocks.. sad..

But dang it, I'm eager to get out there lol..

In conditions like that stuff can be sitting right on top. I once hunted a close to shore area that you could see the rocks clearly. There was a nice ring with a broken shank that I saw sitting on top of a rock, under the water that the detector barely registered.

You're kidding, right?
We LIVE for those beach conditions after storms. Catch it before high tides start bringing back the sand!
All the best stuff has been deep, and now much shallower. Get it while you can, and bundle up!

I don't think anyone can answer that question except you, best to get out and do some recon.

You're kidding, right?
We LIVE for those beach conditions after storms. Catch it before high tides start bringing back the sand! All the best stuff has been deep, and now much shallower. Get it while you can, and bundle up!

Here's that same beach, a few weeks later, nothing really changed, except for the rocks being bulldozed off the road. The rock shelf is easily 3 feet tall.. I think the sandy beach might actually be under all that rock that got rolled up with the surges.. not much sandy part left..

There is another popular beach in a protected bay that also got devastated as well from the surges.. all rock now..

When they say we have harsh conditions up here, dang they weren't kidding.. time to go scoping some lake beaches. ;)

Attachments

• 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 379
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 427
Its a little confusing since we don't know the original height/slope of the beach. Looks like the rocks might have pushed on top of the existing beach since it doesn't look like a low spot but hell, get out there and swing, what's the worst that could happen :roll:

Its a little confusing since we don't know the original height/slope of the beach. Looks like the rocks might have pushed on top of the existing beach since it doesn't look like a low spot but hell, get out there and swing, what's the worst that could happen :roll:

The worse that happened was there is little no sand today, colder than a witch's snot before the Nor'Easter coming in and wow.. did I say cold? I must be getting old ;)

True, the current condition of that beach doesn't mean much unless you had seen the 'before' photos.. sorry bout that...

I popped out there just before low tide hit but it wasn't going to go down low enough to expose much sand, I got the ACE 250 wet in the surf and myself included, did I mention it was cold?! But nothing to be found..

Might wait for the full of the moon later on and try again.

Where's the cat, gotta wrap him around my neck to warm up.. ;)

You have to change your mind set.

If the waves can move the rocks up on the beach and also on to the road, then they will also move the coins and rings that were out in the water. They could be up with the rocks on to the beach.

Get out there and give it a go. You may not be able to use your scoop but there could be some really good finds. Take a garden trowel.

Ray

You have to change your mind set.

If the waves can move the rocks up on the beach and also on to the road, then they will also move the coins and rings that were out in the water. They could be up with the rocks on to the beach.

Get out there and give it a go. You may not be able to use your scoop but there could be some really good finds. Take a garden trowel.

Ray

Ditto on this. I hunt over rocks like that whenever I encounter them. They're like traps for all kinds of goodies. Just dress right, I recommend Arctic Armor, pricey but impervious to the coldest winds and weather. It's what I wear when fishing cod in February, it works.

Ditto on this. I hunt over rocks like that whenever I encounter them. They're like traps for all kinds of goodies. Just dress right, I recommend Arctic Armor, pricey but impervious to the coldest winds and weather. It's what I wear when fishing cod in February, it works.

I didn't think of swinging the coil over the rocks. These are as small / large as softballs and bigger, so a garden trowel or shovel won't work.. it'll be moving them by hand if the rocks aren't all hard pressed together.. they don't move when walking over them.. I hadn't seen it this bad before.. yay global warming!!

Dressing properly for the weather conditions isn't the problem, the environment around here is damp cold, soaks into the bones regardless of what you're wearing.. and that I'm a wuss after getting from Florida ;)

Next opportunity I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Tis why I had asked the question in the first place, still new at this, honestly didn't know if it was worth it or not. I'll let you know if anything comes of it.

cheers

Dressing properly for the weather conditions isn't the problem, the environment around here is damp cold, soaks into the bones regardless of what you're wearing.. and that I'm a wuss after getting from Florida ;)
What's funny is that I thought "if Canadians can go out in the water here in winter time without a wetsuit I can go out too!" So now its's been 2 winters since I've worn it. :lol:

What's funny is that I thought "if Canadians can go out in the water here in winter time without a wetsuit I can go out too!" So now its's been 2 winters since I've worn it. :lol:

Bwa'ahaha funny enough the wife and I were swimming in the Gulf waters at PCB in mid Feb while it was still 'cold' down there, were in the water for a good hour or so enjoying the waves.. Watched other people cautiously enter the water then exit without getting deeper than their knees.. And we found it nice.. anything is nicer than the ocean up here.. where winter and summer temps vary only 3'F..

Dang, that's a good channel.. I checked out his rocky beach videos and those pale in comparison to what I'm facing up here.. three feet of large rocks across the whole beach area.. and the low tide is around the 6am and 6pm time period.. When I get some free time again next week I'll take another venture out there and see what's what..

Thanks to all for the tips, advice and encouragement.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom