Could I have damaged my coil???

vespaboy

I break down and clean my ACE 250 after my outings, and last reassemble I wrapped the coil wire a little tighter than usual around the stem.

As I came across a creek a splashed around if there were anything there in the shallows.

For the next hour or so, the MD was sounding off like a crazy banshee chicken.

I noticed the taut cable and loosened the slack. No problem after that...

Cloud the tight cable have pulled from the housing base at the coil and allowed water to get inside the connector and cause any damage?

I saw some guy on Youtube put silicone caulk in the flange where the cable exits the coil.

What do you think?

Attachments

• coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 163
Not sure why you feel compelled to break down and clean the detector each time. The only time I would bother cleaning is if I accidentally swung the coil into some fresh dog mess or something similar. I don't take the cable off unless I am changing coil which I hardly ever do. You may have different circumstances and storage requirements. I just hang my detectors in the garage.
I don't have an Ace. Is it possible that you need to do a reset? Check you connector on the cable also. Maybe it is loose or damaged. My AT Pros have rather delicate connectors.
Mike

I think you were right.

I checked the connector at the head unit and it was not screwed in tight.

I hope that was the issue!

Thanks for the suggestion. I clean it because I just want to keep it in good condition, maybe a little silly of me to worry about!

In general the reason you don't want a tight cable you put a strain on the wires and sheath of the cable that over time can break down.

Another reason is you do not want the coil cable tight is to allow a little give in the cable if should snag it on something.

Ray

Last edited:
H'mm this gives me food for thought. If a detector sounds off continually due to a cable issue, PERHAPS Mikey, my Micronta antique CAN be fixed!! I'll have to check the coil woring. Unfortunately the coil is part OF the detector and the wiring is contained within the rod instead of wrapped around the outside. So I will have to de-construct the thing and then HOPE I can put it all back together.

Yes, I keep the last two or three inches of cable loose (but not loose enough to flap) and begin wrapping more tightly as the cable extends upward toward the control box. Then the last two or three inches are also less tightly wound. This protects the cable termination points. Thank Heavens for Velcro fastener strips!

SageGrouse

Back
Top Bottom