Newest Find

duck37101

I went on a club hunt yesterday and found what appears to be a Texas Star Saddle Ornament (shield). Anyone have any dealings with these. Found it 20 miles south of Nashville. I will post pics soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20150209_193704.jpg
    IMG_20150209_193704.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
I went on a club hunt yesterday and found what appears to be a Texas Star Saddle Ornament (shield). Anyone have any dealings with these. Found it 20 miles south of Nashville. I will post pics soon.
That is sweet! Where were you, around Nolensville? I hunt Murfreesboro/Triune regularly and there was Texas Cav all around that area!

Sgt Riker has a few of these for sale for $425! He notes his has attachment hooks on the back..... Also says these devices were worn on saddle and horse harnesses and blanket straps.

http://sgtriker.com/cavalry.htm

I am not sure that I have ever seen one of those but its pretty cool. Hope someone can identify it for you. HH

Thanks for the comments everyone. I found it to be very cool. Yes I hunted just North of Triune. I had no idea what it was. My best find to date for Civil War relics.
I will try to get a pic of the back posted. It had one of the posts left on the back.

Charlie Harris has a picture of one in his book on "Civil War Relics of the Western Campaign" on page 191. He calls it a martingale or a saddle decoration. I'm not sure they have been positively identified as to their use. In Charlie's book he indicates it was found on a union camp. I would have thought they had a Texas affiliation. I'm not sure that a Texas affiliation has been established.:?:

Thanks for the comments everyone. I found it to be very cool. Yes I hunted just North of Triune. I had no idea what it was. My best find to date for Civil War relics.
I will try to get a pic of the back posted. It had one of the posts left on the back.

For future reference there's lots to be found in the area north of Triune and in Triune itself. I've never had any luck getting permission south of 96 but never a TD north of 96. Found lots there......Don't get to hunt there as much as id like because I moved out to Cannon County and it's a bit far now. Give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom