Minelab E-trac still worth it?

I have a CTX 3030 and have used it quite a bit in heavy nails with the 6in coil but it would not be my first choice out of the detectors I own if hitting a site like you mention for the first time. I would probably opt for the Deus with the 9in x35 coil or VGG with super six, possibly even the Multi Kruzer with 7in concentric. Out of the two you are talking about though I would opt for the CTX, handles iron much better etc.

VGG = Vista Gold Gain?

Yes, I am also on the AKA forum. I have a Sorex pro (non A gain) and it is probably my deepest machine but it sure is a pain in the @ss to set up for specific sites. But once it is dialed in it is deadly deep. I have consistently dug coins at well over a foot Deep.
As far as the E Trac, the noise cancel will only help pick the best channel without outside interference so the ground composition really does not come into play here.
I never had much more luck running TTF in any iron infested spots but to be truthful I have not done much of that style hunting with the E Trac.

Hmm oke.. I only have problems with setting it up in heavy iron if im not using the 6 inch coil. Else I use all settings the same except gain. While GB-ing I reduce gain, get GB, higher gain and go or do manual GB checking and little tweaking and go! Just takes me 2 minutes in almost every field. When I just had standard sorex I just lowered gain to 2/3 get straight GB line and put gain on 5 again and your good to go. Worked as smooth as glass over here. And yea... its deep! But in heavy iron, even with 6 inch coil, its a sucka big time...

If the focus turns to relics I have to remind myself that the vast number of great relic finds over the years were made with VLF beep detectors.

Simple, fast recovery, and good depth was/is a prime consideration because relic hunters seldom pass up even a questionable signal.

Still today the first clue is audio.

That said, if it's silver or other high conductors you're after?? Etrac for me personally. Relics? Tesoro LST.:D

Yes Deeptech Vista Gold Gain. In the heavy iron probably my favorite detector with the super 6 coil. The high tone of the Gain is so telling and music to my ears.

Yes Deeptech Vista Gold Gain. In the heavy iron probably my favorite detector with the super 6 coil. The high tone of the Gain is so telling and music to my ears.

Cant find much information on that one over here. Pretty unknown in the Netherlands. Videos on YouTube look good!! And fast..

I would like to see someone use an etrac and a nox 800 side by side, more about the depth than the ID. I have not found the etrac to be THAT dead on with id's. On conductivity readings it is nice and steady, but so is my exterra, but on ferrous it is way off until the target is very close to the coil.

I would like to see someone use an etrac and a nox 800 side by side, more about the depth than the ID. I have not found the etrac to be THAT dead on with id's. On conductivity readings it is nice and steady, but so is my exterra, but on ferrous it is way off until the target is very close to the coil.

I have used the Etrac and Nox side by side sometimes. In most places (but not all), I prefer the Etrac for coin-hunting (all I do) because of its superior (to the Nox) ID and depth info. Its ID info may not be as accurate as the CTX's but it's a lot better than what the Nox ID provides.

As for the effect of ground on depth, I do suspect (but have not proven) that the Nox is less susceptible to ground packing and other differences than the Etrac. For me, depth achieved has generally seemed about the same. Others report that the Nox is significantly deeper on nickels, but I don't go after nickels with the Nox as I get too many pull tabs.

The E Trac also struggles in freshly plowed fields. FBS detectors do not like freshly disturbed dirt. As I said for coin hunting the E Trac is a great detector. But it can be taken out of its environment rather quickly. Especially in iron. The CTX is top of the line at target ID. That is not an important issue to the OP. Other than that the 800 kicks it in the butt. Unless you are wading through bottle caps on a beach. Each detector has an area where it would be useful. But hunting plowed fields in heavy iron searching for fairly low conductor numbered hammerd coins? Neither! Weight alone is a no vote for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom