10K = Scrap from now on

Kapi

Forum Supporter
I used to think someday I'd try to sell some of the 10k rings I have on maybe E-bay or a local social media venue but after breaking two different ones I've now decided to just scrap all 10Ks. 10K that has been in the salt water for a long time becomes very brittle. Last summer I found a 10k large band and put it on my finger out in the water. As I was putting it on it crumbled into 4 pieces. Luckily all 4 fell into my palm :) Last night Larry broke the ring I found yesterday just trying to polish it.

Imagine the headache of selling a ring to someone then it breaks? Not for me! 10K goes in the scrap pile from now on.

Attachments

• Feb 24 17 Gold ring.jpg
    Feb 24 17 Gold ring.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 408
  • oops.jpg
    oops.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 393
Jeez, that's crazy! I have a few that seemed to have some age, came out of the water covered in green/black build up... they all held up through some serious cleaning treatments. I wonder if those may have been slightly higher quality 10k? I'll be a bit more careful from now on. Not planning on selling them though... you're right that wouldn't reflect too good on the seller.

It's hard to sell common bands (with insignificant stones) anyhow. Even at 14k. Much less 10k. Thus melt value is about all they're worth.

I tried to sell 6 old class rings on fee bay two weeks ago. The oldest was 1926 and the newest 1949. I put 150.00 over melt or best offer. Well they were worth 600.00 almost exactly. I got 3 offers. 250.00, 375.00 and 550.00. I turned them all down. Even the 550.00 offer would have taken 55.00 fee bay fees and then the pay up pal fees.

Ara took 2% of 600.00 or 12.00 and I was out shipping but big deal. I have no idea how people make money off selling gold on fee bay

I sent them and others to ARA for $7.25 priority mail, and got an advance of 2700.00 last week and the rest will be here next week.

I tried. I guess I didn't try to sell the right kind of rings. I have only had limited success on designer rings.

Well, that goes with all the other magnificent old stuff you're finding! :yes:

...Ara took 2% of 600.00 or 12.00 and I was out shipping but big deal. I have no idea how people make money off selling gold on fee bay.

I sent them and others to ARA for $7.25 priority mail, and got an advance of 2700.00 last week and the rest will be here next week.

I tried. I guess I didn't try to sell the right kind of rings. I have only had limited success on designer rings.

I guess ARA is OK again? I had been wondering.

I wonder if a person gently heated those potential brittle rings with a torch to sort of anneal them? Even when straightening out a silver ring? Anybody have any jewelry annealing advice that pertains to this subject??:?:

Well, that goes with all the other magnificent old stuff you're finding! :yes:

I guess ARA is OK again? I had been wondering.

ARA is just fine. I was going to write a new review after i got the final check and the stones back. That will either be today or tomorrow.

One small issue that I will address. I hope they fix it but not a huge one.

The check for 2700.00 cleared with no problems.

OP, I forgot to mention that I know why 10K does that. You know what salt water does to silver. Unfortunately 10K gold is 14 parts silver and 10 parts gold. Not enough gold to counteract the silver content.

I wonder if a person gently heated those potential brittle rings with a torch to sort of anneal them? Even when straightening out a silver ring? Anybody have any jewelry annealing advice that pertains to this subject??:?:

The alloy has changed I believe, certain other metals like nickel and silver have been leached out through electrolysis and corrosion..

Also wouldn't be surprised to find the karat to be higher than the marks on extreme examples?

<°)))>{

crrraapppp this means that I have tossed at least several 10k items in the trash thinking they were "bling". This is good to know

What did larry do use a bench grinder to clean it up? :D

It all depends how long the ring has been in the water whether its brittle or not... I have had only a few break but the rest have still been fine..

What did larry do use a bench grinder to clean it up? :D

It all depends how long the ring has been in the water whether its brittle or not... I have had only a few break but the rest have still been fine..

Just a sock and Mother's silver polish and those big strong hands of his :)

Back
Top Bottom