• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Another Class Ring Returned.

anxious

Found a class ring 02/17/2020 on the bottom of a local lake.
13.1 grams of 10k $278.00 scrap.
Owner lost it in 2007. I tracked him down and he will be picking it up today after work. I like returning things I've found even though I'd rather keep the gold I get more satisfaction returning something somebody has lost and thought they would never see again. Ironically 02/17/2020 was Random Acts of Kindness Day.
23870dc1f21a02e0688f577148d5488a.jpg
b4d5339eae159afee01a4ddee8bba245.jpg
d9d8076af79ed914966f5d83f0f23751.jpg
2026cd2a7f60305da4036816e0096aa4.jpg
cd94c39acdf0cef442eb941877e03555.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I used to do those kind of returns. But doing all the leg work only to meet a guy in a parking lot , snatch it out of my hand , give me an insincere "thanks", turn around and jump back in his car...well.....really has turned me off. One too many times....

:dingding: Nice job! Remember to update with the reunification picture.

Congratulations on the find and return! I think that most of the fun in detecting is in the moment of discovery- often a surreal experience. And yes, sometimes, people don't appreciate all the work and sacrifice involved in returning something, but I think that most do and sometimes that experience is truly special.

That High School is a relatively new school, you might be the first one to return a lost ring from it.

You're a brave person detecting in fresh water lakes in Florida between the gators and the water moccasins. We used to water ski in the Butler chain of lakes around Orlando before all the development. I don't think I would do it again.

I can only imagine the first few minutes of that phone call...

"You are WHO?"... "You found WHAT?"... "Who put you up to this?"... "You SERIOUSLY found my ring?!"

.... I tracked him down and he will be picking it up today after work. I like returning things I've found even though I'd rather keep the gold I get more satisfaction returning something somebody has lost and thought they would never see again.....

Anxious, a bunch of us love these "MD'r saves the day" & "sherlock holmes whodunnit mystery" solved stories. Good on you.

I used to do those kind of returns. But doing all the leg work only to meet a guy in a parking lot , snatch it out of my hand , give me an insincere "thanks", turn around and jump back in his car...well.....really has turned me off. One too many times....

KOB, I too had a couple of ingrates occasions. But the grateful ones far outweigh the ingrate ones.

If you were in trouble (flat tire in middle of nowhere, or you lost something of value, etc...), I'm sure you'd be the FIRST to avail yourself of a kind Samaritan's help. Right ? :?: But what if every passerby never stopped to help you. Because .... heaven forbid you might be in an ingrate ?

I like the way Compass puts it :

....And yes, sometimes, people don't appreciate all the work and sacrifice involved in returning something, but I think that most do and sometimes that experience is truly special.

very nice of you. I have found a few wedding bands for people that have lost them in their yards or gardens. It amazes me how people will get a metal detector and dig 6 inch holes in their yard looking for a ring they just lost. How, exactly, do you think it got that far below ground?

Cool looking ring, sorry to go off track.

Very very nice of you, good karma hopefully coming your way. I found a class ring and returned it and the lady was so happy - I could just tell by her voice. I felt so great afterwards. Will do it again if I find another. GOOD FOR YOU.!!

Of course I've had a few that are very happy on returns. Had an iphone return recently while I was leaving the beach. I do like to help people. But it seems over the last 5 years or so , people's attitudes have changed. They don't have the attitude of gratitude. Now I have some pre-qualifying questions before a search & rescue begins. Some , get their jollies from watching you go in circles searching for an item that was never lost. I'm just not going out of my way with the research , time , expense , etc anymore. Tom , the what ifs and hypothetical scenarios are just that. Until people change , I will strike an agreement before I begin a hunt. It's not only me down in So.Cal that this happens to. To each his own.

That’s usually because someone else paid for it, if they’d used their own money? Different story😬

That’s usually because someone else paid for it, if they’d used their own money? Different story😬

I never gave much thought to that. But yeah...you're right. You have much more respect for things that you work and pay for yourself , rather than having things handed to you.

He was a happy camper. He knows where he lost it and was sure to never see it again. Kinda funny what happens when you wear a wet suit and aimlessly wander around a 12,000 acre lake swinging an excal and digging almost every tone.
Here's to me.
Here he is sporting the ring he lost 13 years ago. It still fit LOL
9fe35b436246e0bb919234bbecdb3e8e.jpg

That High School is a relatively new school, you might be the first one to return a lost ring from it.

You're a brave person detecting in fresh water lakes in Florida between the gators and the water moccasins. We used to water ski in the Butler chain of lakes around Orlando before all the development. I don't think I would do it again.
I wanna detect around bird island one day.

Back
Top Bottom