I Got The Law Called On Me Today

beephead

Elite Member
No big deal, because I had permission to detect the yard. The neighbor across the street called them on me. I noticed that two patrol cars pulled up and talked with one another for a few minutes then one of the patrol cars left. Apparently, there was something else going on in the neighborhood as well because there were numerous police cars driving by that were marked and unmarked.

Anyway, the patrol officer got out of her car walked over and knocked on the door of the house across the street and spoke with the owner before coming over to speak with me. The officer asked me if I had permission to be digging in the yard. I said yes that I had met the owner of the home at a nearby park and she invited me to detect her yard.

Satisfied with my response the officer walked across the street to tell the owner of the home that everything was OK. Halfway there, I yelled out, ask them if it would be OK for me to detect their yard. Well, the officer didn't but she did say that he was a nice guy and for me to ask. I asked and he gave the OK for me to detect his yard, but warned me that he had already detected it and found nothing but a bunch of nails and other trash. Then I opened my BIG mouth and said that's great because I love a challenge and I told him that I would find all kinds of treasure in his yard. He said on second thought that I couldn't detect his yard because he wanted to give it another try.

Back the permission across the street that I've been detecting for two days. I found 38 wheat pennies, 6 Indian Head pennies, a 1916 Canadian Large One Penny, a Buffalo nickel and 3 toasted V or Sheild nickels. I knew that there had to be silver there, but I found 95% of the coins listed above before I found my first silver coins, a 1964 Rosie and a 1924 Mercury dime.

I ended up using 4 different detectors on the small front and side yard that was around 1000 square feet in size. The last detector that I'm going to use on the front yard will be one of my Tesoros. Then I'm going to start detecting the back-yard starting out with my CTX 3030 before using other detectors.

The best thing about this permission is that there is very little trash except for nails! I'm surprised that I haven't found some old big silver coins or some gold jewelry. I'm digging it all at this 1906 stately home. Oh yeah, I forgot, I found a large cent a week or so ago at another site.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_0806.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 417
Nice job. Sounds like a sweet permission, too. Nothing like a clean yard where 1 out of every 2 targets is a keeper.

People love to waste police time. If he has a detector then he knew full well what you were doing and weren't a threat to him. So, if he was concerned about his neighbor he could have walked over and asked if you had permission. That's only happened a few times to me and I wish it happened more often. It gives me a chance to ask them permission to detect their yards, just as you did. After detecting a lot of private residential permissions it is actually a bit surprising how many people mind their own business. Neighbors come and go just a few feet away and not say a word.

I was detecting a yard and was next to a sidewalk when a guy walking by stopped to ask what I was doing in a friendly way. I told him and added that I had the owner's permission. He apologized TO ME and said he didn't mean to make me feel like I had to explain myself.

That guy was Bsn you ! If he was really a detectorist , you wouldn't have made all those finds. Because he would have hunted his neighbors before you....

Great story, I am glad the run in with the law turned out well. I hunt a lot of curb strips and when I come across a house that is abandon and boarded up I will stray a bit from the curb into the yard without permission. I feel awkward and try to be respectful to the yard and not make a mess. So far so good, maybe the old rule, asking for forgiveness instead of permission will work in my favor one day. By the way I can't wait to see what you find in the back yard, nice finds for sure. Good luck

I really feel so sorry for you not having many detectors to choose from.:lol: Maybe you will find enough to buy another "backup" one. As stated before, the guy who called just seemed to want to cause trouble. He could have at least let you hunt his property to make up for it. Congratulations on your success at finding that many coins in one yard. Just shows how easy it is to miss those targets.:yes:

Nice job.

People love to waste police time. If he has a detector then he knew full well what you were doing and weren't a threat to him.

I am an old law abiding sort of fellow. Metal detecting has been a relatively new pastime for me. I have been rather surprised by the distasteful vibe I get from many folks. I was in a three day hunt last week with 100 other guys on a 4500 acre property. The local DNR (Department of Natural Resources) officers were staged in all the properties surrounding us waiting for one of us to stray off course. Heck, I was treated better when I was a long haired rambunctious kid back in the 60's & 70's.

Thanks, Everyone! I'm heading back to the same site again tomorrow. Hopefully, I can find some other goodies. What amazes me is that only 6 or 8 trash targets were found while digging everything above iron. Counting just a few modern coins the total coin count was over 50 coins. I've never dug an old site that had so little trash and that many old coins.

beephead

Some pretty nice hunting Gerald. Congrats on the Silver's and all the rest. Was told on a couple of places that it was already done and there was nothing left. My reply is always "well you or they probably got it all but I have the some time to kill before its meal time." I have not been turned away yet. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom