Anybody have any info on this bottle?

sandgroper

Elite Member
Found this bottle about a week ago on a river bank. Could be as old as the early 1800's. Even though I found it in Australia, they may have been used in America as well (who knows?). Height is 24cm (9.5in), diameter of base is 4cm (1.57in) and diameter of top/neck is 2cm (0.8in). It's got a spiralled design as well. Any info would be appreciated. :) I've tried doing some research but couldn't find anything helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_2141.jpg
    IMG_2141.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_2142.jpg
    IMG_2142.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 290
looks like a pepper sauce bottle, early 1900's most are generic and fairly common. the spiral ridges give it away because you needed to know what you grabbed before electric lighting.

Your bottle is a BURST TOP sauce bottle.
They were manufactured by blowing a bubble at the top of the bottle mold and "bursting" the bubble, leaving that sharp edge at the mouth of the neck.
This type of mouth finish was in use from the 1860's to the 1890's.
Nice bottle...
Go back and find more.

looks like a pepper sauce bottle, early 1900's most are generic and fairly common. the spiral ridges give it away because you needed to know what you grabbed before electric lighting.
Your bottle is a BURST TOP sauce bottle.
They were manufactured by blowing a bubble at the top of the bottle mold and "bursting" the bubble, leaving that sharp edge at the mouth of the neck.
This type of mouth finish was in use from the 1860's to the 1890's.
Nice bottle...
Go back and find more.

Thanks guys, you're right! Found an ebay ad for one and it's almost identical to mine, I wouldn't have thought it'd be that old. :wow: I found another two there, I don't think they're quite as old but I still have to properly clean them. There might be more, but I think they'd be further (deeper) in the river. Will have to wait until the next draught comes...

Yes! That top is very much like American pre-1870s bottles that are called pontil bottles because they have the jagged scar on bottom where they broke the pontil rod off.

That is one nice bottle!

Yes! That top is very much like American pre-1870s bottles that are called pontil bottles because they have the jagged scar on bottom where they broke the pontil rod off.

That is one nice bottle!

Thanks! :) Found it on a heap of broken glass on a river bank, someone must've done a clean up!

Back
Top Bottom