im going to cuba!

I would research and make sure about detecting in Cuba as you don't want to risk your detector being confiscated.

Maybe it might be okay in some areas I really don't know, but it's better to be sure before you go there.

Not sure how accurate or up to date the following web page is, but just found it doing a search -

http://md-hunter.com/list-of-countries-where-metal-detecting-is-allowedbanned/

Ask yourself....... would that be a country where its better to ask for forgiveness than permission..... especially if you had anything of significant importance or worth much?

I wonder if the Canadian cruise ships that go their often would be able to give you a good answer, or maybe the embassy. I'm normally with Tom's, if you can't find a law against it, don't ask just go, but I think with Cuba, I would ask.
My Great Grandfather had a vacation home there before the revolution, I have always dreamed of going there and laying claim to the property. Probably would not go over well. If we ever get it open to U.S. tourists I will go.

I saw that too. And yes, that's an example of the list's silly-ness. There's no shortage of md'rs who take their detectors when on vacation to Mexican tourist beaches. We see their show & tell posts here all the time. And .... say it isn't so: They're not attacked by the mafia ! :roll:

No, but they can be extorted by the police, and some times it's hard to tell the police from the mafia. I spent 30 minutes in a Mexican jail for a swiss army key chain knife. They let me pay my $35 "fine" and leave. Seems quite a coincidence the fine was the exact amount they found in my pockets after a search.

I dont know about the Cuban rules...However...If I was staying at a resort, I would consider, 'Local rules do not apply to me! I rented this place and I'm gonna detect it all I want!' I would not and do not even ask...

Anywhere we go theres a risk of getting hassled, imprisoned, killed or robbed....Risks increase exponentially after getting Married.....So, in this light, heres some observations that have served me very well as a Married Man, traveling the Globe, here in the house or around town even......

Try to look, dress and act like a 'High Risk Low Profit' target..Fully aware of your surroundings....Not got a nickle, pot or a window, and could probably put up one hell of a fight if cornered...

Be very polite to the Resort Staff, Like your Wife, they are your first line of defense and possible danger...Tip the maid every morning and write a nice little 'ThankYou Housekeeper!" note in the Native language with a smiley face on it...be friendly but firm....do not go out drinking, take side trips, or general wandering around....be attentive and prudent...lower the toilet seat...

Day one! Very Important!...Work this simple conversation with the Desk Clerk, Waiter or Bartender, or whomever......"Glad to be here! Good thing my Sargent gave me a little time off duty!" Oh? What do you do for a living? "I'm a Cop!"

For goodness sakes, do NOT say, "I'm an Investment Banker", "I'm the CEO of a major American Company" or anything that could remotely target you for a ransom attempt!

Human predators have certain hours and locations they prefer, just like any other predator, they set up and check out the human vittles for their daily sustenance, Like on "Match dot Com", or "OurTime"...The dock site of a cruise ship or the Airport curbside arrivals standing in the Taxi line is similar to a French sidewalk cafe chalk board Menu...the Human soup du jour being fresh served for the day is: "Mr I'm a lonely Widower with a pension and blueberry crepes".... Hors d'oeuvre: "Hot pick Pockets with mustard honey doo dip sauce"... Side salad: "Hey look at me with this big gold chain sauteed dickhead duckling with dumplings that likes grandkids and doesnt drink"...Dinner: "Mr Rich Drunken Divorced Randy Idiot with truffles trying to score some tail and weed""...

Try not to be on the menu...'wrong place/wrong time' rules apply...

Get the feel for the ebb and flow of the place...when would be the best time to go out with your detector...generally early morning, when the guy is setting up the Cabana Beach Bar, slicing limes, filling the tiki torches, mopping up Pina Colada tourist puke from the night before...Just walk right out as if you own the place and dont ask a soul...just do your thing...grab a Tequila Sunrise on your way back in if you want, better yet, a shot and a beer...boilermaker that mutherhubbard in one Manly gulp!

Chit chat with Pablo at the bar about the weather and his family, guns and cars, fishing, girls.....whatever, Keep it Butch though, not about bandcamp or soccer practice or your 401k...Listen more than you speak, let him be the center of attention for once...this will separate you out from all the other self absorbed tourists......tip him well..give him all your beach found clad....carry small bills...Smoke unfiltered Lucky Strikes, use a Zippo...preferably one with an Air Cav or other easily recognized Military 'Butch' insignia...Not 'Harley' though...that just screams, "I'm rich, stupid, and gay"...:laughing:

Prepare your mind for any and all possibilities ahead of time and how you will react....Go completely Defcon and bow up and loudly swear right up in somebodies face is an appropriate and effective response to back down most hostiles..even a group of inlaws at your wedding reception...laugh maniacally, go all crazy eyed like a Maori Warrior, do not telegraph a punch...throw one if you have to...

Carry yourself with awareness and self confidence... Even in a Country where you dont speak the language, or in Marriage, a lot of communication takes place with your body posture and your eyes..."I aint the Droid you are looking for"..."Does this dress make me look fat?"...best to go with eye contact, guttural grunting sounds,...keep your yap shut..let them figure it out....

Last edited:
Hey, if you are a gambler load up that detector in your carry on and get to pillaging in Cuba. I’m sure the State Department will negotiate your release from Cuban prison. Let us know how it turns out, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, if you are a gambler load up that detector in your carry on and get to pillaging in Cuba. I’m sure the State Department will negotiate your release from Cuban prison. Let us know how it turns out, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? Cuba has gotta be the easiest place on the Planet to escape from! All you need is a favorable wind and an inner tube! :laughing: Hell, its only 60 miles or so to Jimmy Buffets welcome! Warm water even! Nice little 12hr hemmerhoid sitz bath soak!

Here in Michigan, generally in July, we find hypothermic Wisconsin refuges blown up on our shores all the time! Damn things clog up our sandcat rakes like 300lb flannel wearing plastic soda bottles! Not a one of them can speak English!

Last edited:
I heard something about a detectorist getting his arms cut off.

I bet if I started that same rumor about Springfield, MO, and posted it on various forums. Then those links would lead to links (as each person checks about the "legality of md'ing in Springfield). They link that as the "answer". Which leads to more links.

Eventually .... 10 yrs. later, someone dares to ask "did anyone ever actually get their arms cut off in Springfield ?" and "Is it actually even disallowed in Springfield to begin with ?" . The persons answering will refer you to ... guess what ? The links .

Someone will eventually ask "says who ? Where do 'the links' get that information ?"

So to solve the tie, guess what they'll all do ? Rush to ask Sprinfield park dept persons "can we metal detect ?" And be sure to pepper the question with terms like "dig" and "take" and "indian bone". Guess what someone will thus decide about md'ing in springfield ?

It's a giant self-fufilling vicious loop.

... but I think with Cuba, I would ask....

But ... sure. And by all means, do the same in the USA too, of anywhere you'd think to do this horrible dangerous activity. When asking the official: Be sure to mention "gold" and "dig" and "holes". Be sure to mention "take" "remove" and "cultural heritage" and "indian bones". Lest you not be giving them the full implications of your actions. Lest you be "mincing words" .

Then put a search and salvage agreement in front of them for them to sign. Can't be too safe after all ? Let's all start doing this for every place on earth (even our own city parks), because .... after all, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they say "no", you just move on to the next place. Eh ? :roll:

Ask yourself....... its better to ask for forgiveness than permission........

I love that quote. And have you ever noticed the underlying implication of it ? For anyone to need to "ask forgiveness" implies what ? IMPLIES THEY'VE DONE SOMETHING WRONG. Ie.: broken a law. Well, to apply that to this question, if it's truly "against the law to detect beaches there". Well, then SURE: by all means don't do it. But ISN'T THAT THE QUESTION IN THE FIRST PLACE ?

So the catchy jingle saying only presumes what is being discussed. Before that is ever decided in the first place. Ie.: "assuming one's own point of view, before point of view has been established".

So then the vicious circle starts. Someone will find a cruise-line that said "no" . Ok, does anyone ask where that cruise-line got the info. Someone will find an archie there that said "no" . Does anyone ask where that archie got his info (archies hate md'rs and say no to everyone, even here in the USA after all). Someone got a scram from a hotel security guard (does anyone ask if that was an isolated incident for a turtle mating season thing?).

Let's just make this all simple: Everyone on earth stay home and stop detecting. Leave it all for me. Because I can guarantee you, that ... no matter where you detect, I can find someone who 'doesn't like it'. I can ask long enough and hard enough, and start enough links, and .... oh me oh my, if a red carpet isn't rolled out for you, if you don't have an express "yes" (silent on the subject isn't good enough) , then by all means stay home.

Here's the deal guys: It's exactly the same psychology as if I said to you, that our mutual friend "Bob" just won the lottery. You'd say "no way" , and "that's impossible" and "I don't believe it". BUT IF I SAID THAT BOB just got arrested for embezelling $$ from his company, you'd say "wow, I didn't know. That's a bummer. Sheesk , how could Bob have done such a thing ?"

So it's in the same fashion that if we all read 100 posts of persons who hunt Cuba with no problem, it doesn't even register. No one believes or notices good news. But if a single proposed "no" (100 to 1 ratio) gets on the net, guess which one is believed ? The good news or the bad news ? Well ... just like the "Bob" example, everyone subconsciously believes the bad news.

No, but they can be extorted by the police, and some times it's hard to tell the police from the mafia. I spent 30 minutes in a Mexican jail for a swiss army key chain knife. They let me pay my $35 "fine" and leave. Seems quite a coincidence the fine was the exact amount they found in my pockets after a search.

Sure. No one disputes that Mexican and south american latin countries police are corrupt. I have utterly no idea why we see various show & tell posts from persons who've gone to Mexican tourist resort beaches. I have no idea why I spent 4 weeks , in the 1990s, metal detecting across the Sierra Madres and Chihuahua desert, and .... didn't bump into this.

It's like ANY place with crime: You don't hang out in dark alleys. You don't buy Rolex watches from strange men on street corners in trench coats, etc.... If you are in a bad area (south Chicago, Oakland, CA) you stick to the nice neighborhoods.

As for Mexico: Might you have to pay the cop for the traffic ticket via corruption style ? Might you get sick drinking the water ? Sure. Then perhaps you shouldn't be vacationing anywhere except Disney world Florida ? I mean, there comes a point, where ... you can ALWAYS find a danger, even leaving your front door in the morning.

Seems to me it was a case of if you wanted to pay the 35 dollars or do the time. In Mexico as in the US ignorance of the law is no excuse. Don't do anything wrong and the can't "extort" you...

Seems to me it was a case of if you wanted to pay the 35 dollars or do the time. In Mexico as in the US ignorance of the law is no excuse. Don't do anything wrong and the can't "extort" you...

After doing more searching I can't find much about detecting in Cuba, maybe it is okay, but I would not take any expensive equipment there that I would not want to risk being confiscated.

Even if it is legal, you can't be sure you won't run into corrupt officials that will invent an excuse to keep your expensive equipment.

Corrupt officials can be found anywhere, when I was stationed in Millington Tennessee in the Navy about 1970 a group of us went to Mississippi for weekend leave, we did nothing wrong but somehow we all ended up in jail on manufactured charges, I'm guessing they knew we had to get back to base by Monday morning and it cost us a ridiculous amount to get out of jail, so it can happen anywhere, and places like Cuba might be more likely.

Now having said all that, maybe you detect there and have no problems and we are just being over cautious, I hope that is the case, we just want you to be extra careful.

I did find a web site that says:

"Travel to Cuba as an American for purely touristic purposes is strictly prohibited."

Now how up to date that info is I can't say, but here is the web site - https://www.expcuba.com/cuba-info/

Hey, we hope we are making something out of nothing and you detect there and bring back some great finds, but I would call several travel agencies as maybe they might have up to date info as to if detecting in Cuba would be any problem or not.

But ... sure. And by all means, do the same in the USA too, of anywhere you'd think to do this horrible dangerous activity. When asking the official: Be sure to mention "gold" and "dig" and "holes". Be sure to mention "take" "remove" and "cultural heritage" and "indian bones". Lest you not be giving them the full implications of your actions. Lest you be "mincing words" .

Then put a search and salvage agreement in front of them for them to sign. Can't be too safe after all ? Let's all start doing this for every place on earth (even our own city parks), because .... after all, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they say "no", you just move on to the next place. Eh ? :roll:

Tom, it's Cuba, not a city park, I'm the first one in line on public property, that's not obvious, fenced,or posted, but in a communist dictator regime I'm gonna ask. I would even read the State dept warnings. I think the op is Canadian. I would go to Cuba if it ever gets open to regular U.S. tourism, after I researched laws and customs and while there I would do my best not to disrespect either.

Tom, it's Cuba, not a city park....

Yes I realize that. I'm SURE there's failures in the analogy (corrupt economy vs non-corrupt economy, etc...). I was only pointing this out as an example of the "asking" psychology that exists ANYWHERE.

I guess it all boils down to one's caution level. My wife , for example, won't stay in anything less than Embassy Suites or .... other such nicer hotels when we travel. The $49 truck stop type motels *simply will not do*. And in her mind ... "they're not safe" or "the sheets aren't clean", blah blah blah.

But for me ... heck ... I'm just going to sleep, so WHAT THE HECK DO I CARE if the persons in the next room are making some groan/moan sounds that I might hear ? :roll: Or that there's a mis-matched floor tiles, etc...

Same for all this talk on md'ing to poorer countries. You can ALWAYS find someone to tell you "no". You can ALWAYS find some way it's not "safe", etc... Fine then: Don't leave the USA, lest a lion attack you ?

.... but I would call several travel agencies as maybe they might have up to date info as to if detecting in Cuba would be any problem or not.

Thus the self-fulfilling loop continues. You know what those "travel agencies" would need to do, right ? And can you blame them? They're not lawyers after all : They pass this on to legal channels, who pass this on to border lawyers in said-country. Who pass it up the chain to a government archaeologist. Who couches the answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramids, exporting gold bars, and cultural heritage for protected monuments.

I have no doubt, that if the tables were reversed, and someone was getting ready to travel to the USA
, and ... inquired ahead : "Can I metal detect in the USA ?", that they too could fetch dire-sounding information.

Someone here would interpret it in light of ARPA and say "absolutely not". Or they would find ONE SINGLE CITY amongst 1000 cities that ever dreamed up a "no" or a permit, and thus deduce "you must ask at every single city hall you come to". Or they would find each state's lost & found laws and say "yes, but you can never keep anything you find"

The ONLY reason that ISN'T happening in reverse order is: Actual practice. Ie.: the actual practice is that md'ing is going on here, and it's not an issue.

Thus I say that THIS SHOULD ALSO preside in other places we travel to as well. Not the rule of "can I fetch a no if I swat enough hornet's nests?" But instead the rule of "does anyone really care ?"

Thus the self-fulfilling loop continues. You know what those "travel agencies" would need to do, right ? And can you blame them? They're not lawyers after all : They pass this on to legal channels, who pass this on to border lawyers in said-country. Who pass it up the chain to a government archaeologist. Who couches the answer in terms of shipwreck salvor laws, raiding the pyramids, exporting gold bars, and cultural heritage for protected monuments.

I have no doubt, that if the tables were reversed, and someone was getting ready to travel to the USA
, and ... inquired ahead : "Can I metal detect in the USA ?", that they too could fetch dire-sounding information.

Someone here would interpret it in light of ARPA and say "absolutely not". Or they would find ONE SINGLE CITY amongst 1000 cities that ever dreamed up a "no" or a permit, and thus deduce "you must ask at every single city hall you come to". Or they would find each state's lost & found laws and say "yes, but you can never keep anything you find"

The ONLY reason that ISN'T happening in reverse order is: Actual practice. Ie.: the actual practice is that md'ing is going on here, and it's not an issue.

Thus I say that THIS SHOULD ALSO preside in other places we travel to as well. Not the rule of "can I fetch a no if I swat enough hornet's nests?" But instead the rule of "does anyone really care ?"

I understand what you are saying Tom, my bigger concern is not if detecting itself is okay, but that corrupt officials there might confiscate your detector for themselves even if it is legal, not as much of a concern in the U.S. but there it could be.

I guess I would feel better if I could find anyone online that talked about personally detecting in Cuba, but so far I haven't found anyone with personal experience detecting there. Maybe someone else might have better results searching for that.

Back
Top Bottom