Moi from Finland

M Helsinki

Hi

i'm from Finland and i've always been interested in History+Nature+Archeology
i never dared to go into Metal Detecting when i was in Italy, too many problems and risks (law or burglars). Now i might start here in Finland in a more 'calm' ambient, however i'm very afraid about the what can and what i can't do.

I'M SO jelous when i see those news from the UK findings, and a lot of people md'ing without feeling guilty.

I am reading and researching and told myself if in 4-6 months (when snow is gone ?) i convinced myself to do the jump and saved the money i'll then buy the metal detector,

i love walking in the countryside as i often do with my dslr, would love to do the same with a md.

If there is any Circles/Clubs/Association in Helsinki/Finland, i'd like to know
beware i speak this kind of english, finnish language is complicated :p

yikes, you've got snow already? :(

anyway, welcome to the forum from Nova Scotia! :yes: and the winter months are a great time to do research, but believe it or not, there's still places to detect, ski hills, mall parking lots, etc. ;)

Pete

Welcome. You say regarding Finland:

" ...however i'm very afraid about the what can and what i can't do...."

Check out Finland's entry on this site:

http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

You will see that there is no prohibition of detecting there. Just a "should" (report/alert) for "items over 100 yrs. old", :roll: And bear in mind: that such laws would apply to public lands (doh, their public laws afterall). And thus have possibly no bearing on private land (farmer's fields with permission). Unless Finland is one of those countries, like England, where "all resources under the ground" (whether public or private) belong to the crown. But in any case, it's not forbidden. And ..... as for the 100 yr. thing, we have stuff like that here in the USA too for certain types of land (if we were to ask long enough and hard enough of enough desk-bound bureaucrats). So ... sharpen your math skills like we do, I guess. :roll:

voriax, I was just going by the translation of the link, and I suppose "should" can be interpretted different ways. Do you have a longer-version than the link I gave, which stipulates that it refers even-to-private land ?

And since you're from Finland, let's say you find a 101 yr. old coin on a farmers land, ..... ok, so let's say you report it. Then what ? Do they get annoyed with being bothered 356 days per year by md'rs there for common coins like this ? Or do you guys really go down for each coin or item over 100 yrs. old to alert them ? Is there, or has there, ever been anyone in the field get "carded", and the items of his apron riffled through, to see if any items are over 100 yrs. ?

I guess what I'm saying is, how does this work in actual *practice* for you Finnish md'rs? Or are you just plying the beaches for modern losses (and hope-to-heck you don't find an old coin , or .... ?)

Back
Top Bottom