A small old town

jayhawk

Out at the family farm. there is the remains of a old small town. Thant was built up on the side of the railway tracks. there were a bunch of small houses, 3 stores and a hall. It was apparently a fairly poor area. When detecting here in summer (snows on the ground now). How would i go about it. Would i dig everything or just certain targets. Looking for any input and what would one expect to find. I am sure no one has ever detected.

pics

Here are some pics

Attachments

• DSCF0961 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0961 [800x600].jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF0962 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0962 [800x600].jpg
    168 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCF0963 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0963 [800x600].jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCF0964 [800x600].jpg
    DSCF0964 [800x600].jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 277
Wow ! that is one sweet playground, you are going to get alot of different answers on the way to do it, me personally would start by quick sweeping for easy finds then grid for the deep stuff, bet you are going to find Alot of old cool stuff there. HH !

Hey I see your from the Peg, how do you think the Bombers are going to do this year. I'm a fan Go Blue SWAG SWAG SWAG!!!!
I think we will start out strong till pierce gets hurt, and it being the bombers they won't give any playing time to the other quarterback and he will essentially be going in blind and then it will be downhill from there for the season.

I personally would sweep across the in front of the buildings, doors and would be paths. I would set up for silver first, then relics afterwards. You could hunt that forever. GL and HH

That lumber could be taken down and sold as reclaimed lumber, just a thought since I do wood working as another one of my hobbies.
No I don,t want it.:D You might be surprised how much it is worth.

Bye the way what is that hanging out the window????

First expect a lot of trash. Hopefully, that won't be the case. But, if you're expecting it, you won't feel so frustrated when it shows up.

IMHO you would start where people moved around. This would be pathways, driveways, entrances, waiting areas, etc. If you're a coin hunter, try starting with a coin/jewelry program and dig every good/almost good signal. That's more work, but increases your chances of fascinating finds. If you're more of a relic hunter, then open it up and dig it all.

Yours is a site that you will go back to for years. Remember that when you get frustrated, take a break and hunt elsewhere.

All the best. HH

since its on your family property, make a 10x10 square, and grid it from both directions, and dig all tones, Iron might be masking good targets.

choose an area with the most traffic/commerce would have likely happened.

You will find a lot of trash, but since you can detect there for as long as you want, I would keep this attack strategy.

keep us informed on what you dig up!!

choose 3-5 10x10 squares around the property as primary spots, then a few secondary spots.

I would document ALL your finds. maybe write a short book about railroad towns of the 19xxs. "The things the dropped"

Last edited:
Thanks all. I know where the dump is as well. I was out in late fall of last year and found a 1918 wheat . It's near the US border but on Canada side. Followed by junk and more junk. Then things came up where life ha to be put on hold for awhile will be back at it when the ground melts thanks.

There are bottle caps everywhere. Not so much pull tabs though. So will hit it till I get frustrated and then get back to it again next time.
Thanks all. Guess I will start with the fronts of the stores.

Hey Jayhawk, I have to disagree I think Pierce will be strong all season and the Bombers will win the East again this year. I enjoyed Winnipeg when I was there in October '10 I had a great time river cat fishing and enjoying the comeback win against the Lions. I may be a little partial to Buck though, since I grew up with him my whole life. He really love Winnipeg, and I can't say I blame him. Good luck at that site, I think an initial scam when a little lower sensitivity and digging solid signal would be the way i'd go.

Don't get me wrong is a good QB he just seems if something can happen to injure him it happens. Where as if it happenned to someone else they would get lucky and walk away.

Hey Jayhawk, I have to disagree I think Pierce will be strong all season and the Bombers will win the East again this year. I enjoyed Winnipeg when I was there in October '10 I had a great time river cat fishing and enjoying the comeback win against the Lions. I may be a little partial to Buck though, since I grew up with him my whole life. He really love Winnipeg, and I can't say I blame him. Good luck at that site, I think an initial scam when a little lower sensitivity and digging solid signal would be the way i'd go.

Great spot and Thanks for the pictures, they really helps put it perspective for me!

Don't forget to scan the outhouses and paths to them, also the area they did the laundry if you can find it.

I have a few old and trashy spots to dig also when the ground thaws so I'll be watching for ideas on this thread too.

What I'm thinking right now is grid the place with yellow plastic tent stakes and set my detector to ignore everything under copper to just find old coins.

Then go back and dig everything over iron next. I'm not really into relics.

Best of luck and I'm looking forward to more photos!

Back
Top Bottom