Are you all - -

steve in so la

Forum Supporter
getting some research done during the winter off season? Spring and warmer weather wont be long - the sun has finally started to rise earlier each day.
Check out those old maps in the libraries; re-read some books that gave you ideas originally; make sure the detector and associated equipment is in top notch shape; contact land owners for possible permission; drive the country side looking for clues that sometimes show up when the greenery is down; walk through & look at the local museums and historical society's displays and find some possible sites ; email nearby towns for maps that might give you some sites to hit. Above all = write down what you find or think, don't depend on your memory. I lost a very good site one time because I thought I'd remember it.
Steve in so az

I love researching new sites so i do it year round and the campus libraries are a huge resource. My problem isnt as much researching places to hunt its finding places that arent privately owned.

steve in so az said:
getting some research done during the winter off season? Spring and warmer weather wont be long - the sun has finally started to rise earlier each day.

Who said anything about taking winter off? :D

Good point Steve. I also like to take long country drives in the winter. Easier to scout cellar holes & foundations with most of the foliage gone.

winter what winter I have wore shorts everyday this year so far, even wore shorts to the beach out in the water :D :D :D, spring will be here before winter this year

seas1to2 said:
winter what winter I have wore shorts everyday this year so far, even wore shorts to the beach out in the water :D :D :D, spring will be here before winter this year
It's 4 degrees here in Mass. It was -14 degrees this morning with the "wind chill factor" :(

I was out in the woods today with the dogs like gil said you can see much more now. It wasn't too bad if you keep moving. The ground is getting pretty hard though. :mad: I bought a new ice fishing sled yesterday on speculation so I'm ready for anything now.

I don't take the winter off at all. I don't care how cold it gets, I'll get out and hunt on the weekends. If the ground is frozen solid, I just hit the salt water beaches and hunt the wet sand, which dosen't freeze over so easily. But I do do the research more this time of year too.

Most of my research is done. More than half the sites I researched last winter I never even got to hunt last year because of everything going on in my life. I'm hoping to correct all that this year and get some serious detecting in.

Absolutely!!! Been researching ferry landings near my area. Also a vanished train town settlement. I like to start the season with a huge list of 'to-do' hunts, and mark them off one by one. This year though, will be hunting with a new Minelab SE, so hopefully I can get some early spring test swings in my backward before it's real hunting time!

DB

DB - We specialize in disappeared RR towns & settlements. Fun stuff, been to probably 40 or more over the years - detect and also sift the dumps. Good luck on the ferry site, steve in so az

I researched what I could for my area, but most of it is developed housing, big buildings, shopping centers, and private property. I do hunt the parks, and will try to gain access to private property via permission, if granted (which I seriously doubt). This is why I plan to travel out of the city for the summer, in hopes of finding new areas. Thinking of heading east or south.

But in the meantime, I will research what I can for what is nearby, just that nothing looks too promising.

Joe

I hit the jackpot with old maps of my area a couple months ago, and I still hadn't checked out all the places I already knew of. I've probably got a couple years of detecting within a 5 mile radius of my house. That doesn't keep me from doing more research though since I enjoy that as much as swingin.

I'm always writing things down that pertains to my research, even if it is just a quick note that says: Joe Smith & Moon Twp., that way I can always go back and do more in depth research, if need be. I too, have forgotten about things because I have trusted my memory. When I go to the library, the first thing in my book bag is my note book.

This is the best time to be water hunting during the winter when the sand starts moving... my seasons just beginning ;)

Back
Top Bottom