Question on frequencies

John 71

The cz s have 5 and 15 frequency, the safari etrac has 1.5 to 100 frequency, the equinox 600 and 800 has multiple frequency. How do you know what one do the best?

Higher frequencies favor gold, lower frequencies favor silver and low to mid low favor copper.....very basic breakdown as I understand and use them on the Deus and the Nox. I run an HF round coil on my Deus but always hunt in the lowest available frequency which is 14.4 khz. It is a very effective setup. The Nox I run in multi frequency and get good results also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I usually run multi-freq on the 800. It has 5 frequencies, but it somehow selects the best 2 frequencies for your current detecting conditions, and only uses 2; not all 5 frequencies at one time. Seems to work well! So far, I only use the single frequency modes to avoid EMI interference, when it becomes an issue. I would use higher frequencies if hunting gold nuggets, and will consider selecting lower modes (5 or 10) for experimenting/deep silver hunting.

Hi,
my understanding is that lower frequencies (below 13kHz) are great for mild mineralization, higher conductors and larger deep targets. Higher frequencies (above 13kHz) are better for higher mineralization, lower conductive targets and small targets. Anything above 19khz will hit very small lead, iron and gold targets really well. Some people say the best all-round frequency for a single frequency detector is the 13 to 15kHz range for these reasons. The Equinox 600 and 800 like someone else said here operate with at least 2 frequencies simultaneously in multi frequency mode. Only the Minelab engineers know for sure how many are really being used at one time. That information has not (and probably won't be) released to the public.

Jeff

John 71: said:
The cz s have 5 and 15 frequency, the safari etrac has 1.5 to 100 frequency, the equinox 600 and 800 has multiple frequency.
You asked: "How do you know what one do the best?" That's either which ones do the best or which one does the best.

Do you ask which multi-frequency MODEL does the best, or which FREQUENCY design does the best? It could be taken either way. Just realize that not all simultaneous multi-frequency models work on all those claimed frequencies at the same time.

Also, having owned and used over a dozen simultaneous multi-frequency models from Fisher, Minelab and White's, I have encountered many applications or site locations that were too challenging for many of them to handle.

I have also hunted quite a few places where they performed well to very well and I was impressed with the success. But I also rehunted those very same sites under the same conditions or even on the same day with different makes and models of single-frequency detectors and recovered desirable coins, trade tokens, good jewelry and other keepers. Part of the credit goes to the circuitry design and search coils used, but a certain amount of credit can also go to the operating Frequency of the detectors I used.

Here's a quick comment from a report or article written by George Payne, a noted detector design engineer with regard to operating frequency. I don't have it handy for an exact quote but it is in reference to the frequency they chose to make the detectors, like the Treasure Baron, when at Discovery Electronics. That operating frequency was 12.5 kHz.

Why 12.5? Because as he described, the lower-conductive coins and jewelry are more 'detectable with a higher operating frequency, such as around 18 kHz to 290 kHz or so, while the higher-conducive coins, such as silver or copper, are better located using a lower-frequency, such as in the 5 to 8 kHz range. He determined that the best since frequency was about mid-point at 12.5 kHz.

We are referring to models that operate in the VLF (Very Low Frequency) range which is 1 kHz to 30 kHz. In th latter '70s I used 15 kHz model the most, and since mid-'83, most of my day-to-day, general purpose decenters have been ±2.5 kHz from that point and operate from 10 kHz to 15 kHz ... and they have performed very well in a wide-range of site environment, ground mineral conditions, and on a broad-range of target conductivities.

Today in production that would include models such as the 13 kHz T2 from Teknetics, 13.9 kHz MX-7 from White's, the 14 kHz Racer 2 from Nokta-Makro and several others. Many recent models are also top performers in that frequency range, such as a 10 kHz Bandido II microMAX from Tesoro, a 15 kHz FORS CoRe from Nokta just to touch on the upper and lower end of that frequency range.

These models perform well on lower conductive to higher conductive targets we are most often in search of. There are some benefits, too, when using some modern digital circuitry detectors because they might provide Tone ID or a Saturated audio that might benefit targets that would typically be less response for their frequency.

Two examples, when I look at my regular-Use Detector Outfit would be my higher-conductive 19 kHz Nokta FORS Relic which still performs well on most typically located targets, but it has an edge when dealing with a dense iron contaminated site and being able to unmask desirable non-ferrous targets. It's my main-use Relic Hunting model.

Another for example would be my lower-conductive Teknetics Omega 80o0 at 7.8 kHz or new Fisher F44 at 7.69 kHz. These can work for hunting a wide open old site with sparse iron nails, but have a troubling time in a dense iron contaminated location. They work quite well for most urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, however, and are a key point in my arsenal for those typical urban hunting tasks.

I have long preferred to have two, three or more detectors at complementing operating frequencies than try to rely on just one multi-frequency detector, especially when many of their prices would buy me two or three units and coils. Compare and see how others are doing using single frequency models and see if a multi anything would be of any benefit.

I only own and use one Multi-Frequency detector in my regular outfit and that's a selectable Multi-Frequency Nokta-Makro Anfibio Multi.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom