• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Counterfeit Garrett Pro-Pointers

seaweednh

I know this has been posted before ( a different forum) but worth bringing up again. This time with more than "it's fake if it's selling cheap" There is a guy on E-bay honest enough to tell you he is selling counterfeit Pro-pointer (still a federal crime to possess and sell) Here is how you tell other than by the price or if you buy one, the performance.

Look at the end caps. ISO 9001 certified has been moved below the "CE" and the "FC" has been moved from the right to the left. I hope this clarifies this and same someone of their hard earned cash.

Attachments

• A fake pro pointer.jpg
    A fake pro pointer.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9,653
  • A real pro pointer.jpg
    A real pro pointer.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 8,749
I've had this one for several years and it's different than either one. I've used it so much the cereal number is worn off but Garrett says it's legit.

Attachments

• PP.jpg
    PP.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 8,157
The fake one looks like a cross between the older one and the newer one?? Still confusing!! Just buy them from a reputable Garrett dealer!!

I've had this one for several years and it's different than either one. I've used it so much the cereal number is worn off but Garrett says it's legit.

Yes, you have one of the first ones as I've found that one on their website. Now here is the interesting part and another quick way to tell the fake one. Yours says patend pending. The newest one says

Patend US D583,261,

The fake one says

Patend US D583,261,
Patend pending

Best way not to get burned is check the Garrett website and on buy from garrett authorized dealers. HH phil

Best way not to get burned is check the Garrett website and on buy from garrett authorized dealers. HH phil

Phil,

I expected this reply from dealers. In a perfect world we could all buy new equipment and not have to look at the classified for used.

To test your theory, If I were to buy a new detector from you and had a Garrett probe, a Minelab detector, Whites headphones and a SEF coil to trade in. Would this mean I would have to be an authorized dealer for Garrett, Minelab, Whites and SEF or you won't take it in on trade?

The real world is there will always be someone buying used, perhaps not by choice. In this world, even legitimate dealers may not know how to tell the difference. Yes, this is meant to help the dealers identify the fakes as well.

This was not meant to be an attack but rather a thinking exercise.

Regards,
Ron

China Fakes

There are so many fakes coming out of China, a friend bought his wife one of the new Samsung 4s phones for 200.00, looked just like the real thing, box and everything, the processor and some features were different (also no LTE) but the fake could easily be passed as the real McCoy, a reputable dealer would be the way to go to avoid these crooks.

There are so many fakes coming out of China, a friend bought his wife one of the new Samsung 4s phones for 200.00, looked just like the real thing, box and everything, the processor and some features were different (also no LTE) but the fake could easily be passed as the real McCoy, a reputable dealer would be the way to go to avoid these crooks.

"a reputable dealer"

How do you go about using one of these when the manufacturers are stopping YOU from purchasing from REPUTABLE dealers?

I live in New Zealand & trust USA dealers and NOT the sole NZ agents as they are brand limited - I would rather buy from a reputable dealer who sells more than one brand as you will here both the pro's & con's of ALL the machines they carry & NOT be limited to a single brand -

Jesus between the fake golf clubs, fake GSA morgan dollars, fake trade dollars and all US coins, now fake pro pointers.

Alibaba is a cancer on all industry.

I got mine out and checked them, I'll probably by used again and am glad to know this. Thanks!!

That's why this was posted, so those who do buy used know what to look for.

I still don't understand why the members here who only buy "new" bother coming to the classified to look at used equipment? It also makes me wonder what they do with their old equipment, throw it away? I'd love to be they guy that picks up their trash.

Ron, Sorry if I came off snarky. I didn't think about the used market. Thanks for posting the pics it's valuable info. I am constantly getting emails from Garrett, Fisher and now Minelab about this issue and it makes me a little nervous about trade ins. Anyway thanks for posting. HH phil

I get that they are not "good", I just meant at the actual scam itself. They are good at selling you a fake product lol or to those who are new to the hobby and would have no idea.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

The U.S. should stop buying !!!! from China

I got burned a year ago by getting a good deal on 1 ounce .999 Silver Panda Bears. These are from China so I thought it was a good deal. they were fakes. Didn't weigh right and not sure about silver %. Never got my money back. Boy'cott China.

Back
Top Bottom