What do you guys think?

For one thing, the person said he was booted out of a state park. In virtually all states detecting is prohibited in state parks so he should have known better.
He also states he has to drive four hours to detect somewhere. If you live in RI and drive 4 hours you'll be in another state. I'm sure there are places in his home state where he can detect. I live just over the border in Conn. and have detected in RI for many years without a problem. His situation isn't new, there are places all over this country that frown on our hobby.

I think that guy is a "sky is falling " type worrywart. He fetches a few "no's" in a row, and thinks " everyone hates us".

also, regarding his experience on some public lands: He gets an isolated "scram", and thinks that means its necessarily gospel law from here on out. Sometimes a scram like that, could be nothing more than an isolated fluke. You give lip service, and come back later, when that singular busy body isn't present. I think it is safe to say in this case, because that guy himself says he hunted for years at the location with no problem. So I do not construe every scram as " something I need to fight now" or "the sky is falling ".

He's probably digging with his 31" Sampson shovel! That will always bring the law down on you! Lol! (sorry, couldn't resist).

The key is to hike 1/2 mile or more into the woods. That will reduce the number of busy bodies checking you out. Also good to go early in the morning on weekdays. Detecting in lousy weather will limit your encounters with the nosy newts as well.

I stick to public land and land trusts owned by a town. State owned land is too iffy. You might get away with it, but you might not. Not worth the hassle to me...

He thinks they're out to get him now. Just wait until the town council gets together and passes an ordinance because of his little temper tantrum in the local paper.

Asking a talking head in the city hall is one thing. Going public in a grand way is quite different.

Roger

He thinks they're out to get him now. Just wait until the town council gets together and passes an ordinance because of his little temper tantrum in the local paper.

Asking a talking head in the city hall is one thing. Going public in a grand way is quite different.

Roger

Agreed. Mr Matthews just opened a can of worms for himself. In my opinion, the overall tone of the article comes off as whiny. His own quoted words really won't work in his favor either. "Hundreds of people show up, dig proper holes..." Good grief, if a non-destectorist reading that article wasn't already envisioning an army of "geeks with shovels" tearing up the landscape, Mr. Matthews effectively painted that picture for them. Also, he might want to come up with another name for his "Pound the Ground" event if he's truly interested in better PR with the local community.

Roger

I agree. Anytime a well-meaning worrywart person like this makes a big stink, they end up bringing about their own fears in a vicious self-fulfilling Circle. Sure as heck : some bureaucrat will address his "pressing issue" and codify some new law.

I don't disagree that sometimes metal detecting is a little odd, and Carries connotations. Fine then : Go at lower traffic times and avoid such killjoys. But if he is waiting for every last person on Earth to love and adore him, he might as well give it up now.

The vast majority of people could care less. In fact most passerby strangers are intrigued and ask questions. He needs to grow a thicker skin.

He runs a "licensed and insured metal detecting group"...Digger Please!:laughing::laughing:

Just to get along in this World, a fellow must develop the skills to go about Life very invisibly and very quietly...its just prudent no matter what you are doing in any outdoor pursuit oriented Sport or Life in general...

This Sport is a good one to hone and sharpen those skills...If you got them, you never have the kind of trouble this guy mentions...

Just be small and quiet and pay attention to the ebb and flow of the day and work with it accordingly!...Timing!..

..A Lady must always know when to leave a party..:laughing:.

Last edited:
He runs a "licensed and insured metal detecting group"...Digger Please!:laughing::laughing:.....

Well Puppy-Mud, ... OF COURSE you, him, me, and all md'rs need to be "licensed and insured". Because aren't you aware that md'ing is inherently dangerous, risky, and damaging ?

Similar to guns (which are inherently dangerous), this too should need a "license". And just like you have insurance on your car (it could kill someone in an accident), SO TOO should you rush to your insurance agent and ask them for a policy which covers your md'ing.

C'mon, get with the times mud ! :laughing:

I need to check my health insurance policy and see if there is a detecting clause built into it incase I hurt myself detecting. Could tear up the rotator cuff.

Similar to guns (which are inherently dangerous)

Momentary sidebar; I beg to differ. Firearms, by themselves, are NOT inherently dangerous. It's too many of the ignorant human dolts that get to handle them that are inherently dangerous.

Off my soapbox, now.

Roger

Momentary sidebar; I beg to differ. Firearms, by themselves, are NOT inherently dangerous. It's too many of the ignorant human dolts that get to handle them that are inherently dangerous.

Off my soapbox, now.

Roger

Exactly! You can get hurt with anything,guns just make it easier! I’ve personally known gun owners(and a lot of them) my entire life and none of them ever had a problem, and that’s because they know what they’re doing!

.... Firearms, by themselves, are NOT inherently dangerous....

Oh, ok. In that case : This means DETECTORS then, are EVEN WORSE than guns. Intrinsically evil, risky, and damage-inducing. Even before you even turn one on ! :shock: That's why you read about "licences", "permits", and "insurance" after all. :roll:

Last edited:
He's probably digging with his 31" Sampson shovel! That will always bring the law down on you! Lol! (sorry, couldn't resist).

My sampson plugs look like my Garrett plugs... :?::?:

SOMETIMES even like my screwdriver pops even nd no, I'm not a savage with my screwdriver:laughing::laughing:

Back
Top Bottom