Stumbled upon a Cache!

blk86trbo

Elite Member
Today I spent the morning in the woods doing my best to keep from getting overheated. I wasn't very effective, because the humidity was up and there isn't much of a breeze amongst the trees and brush. I wandered aimlessly for a few hours without much to show for it, other than being soaked with sweat and covered in cobwebs. I had 36 cents in modern clad, but also a really nice looking 1916 wheat :bouncie:

Then it happened, the mighty etrac SCREAMED. I took a step back, and scanned it from all directions. A nice sweet coin sound was eminating from my headphones. The numbers on the display were a little jittery, but they were staying on the low side of the scale, not on the higher end where they would be if it was detecting iron. Depth was registering between 4-6 inches.

So I started digging. Cleared out a bit of dirt and stuck the pinpointer in the hole. Nothing. Dug a little farther and tried the pinpointer again...nothing. Dug down about 8 inches and I was a little perplexed because I still wasn't finding anything. So I stood up and re-scanned the hole. Yep, still a good signal, but it was telling me that it wasn't that deep. So I raised the coil up above the ground a few inches and it was still sounding off.

Now most of the time, what I end up finding in this situation, is a large, deep, piece of junk. So next I do what I've done hundreds of times before...place my tools in my pouch, and fill in the hole. But this time I stand up and just stare at the plug, pondering things for a few moments. Do I really want to put forth the effort of digging this deep hole? It's hot, I'm already soaked with sweat, and covered in debris from fighting the undergrowth. Ah well, the heck with it...I tell myself that if this does indeed end up being trash, I'll call it a day and head home. So I swing the coil again.

Sure enough, the signal sounds good. Good from all directions, and exactly in the spot I'd previously dug. Scooping the loose dirt from the hole with my hands, I easily get down to where I'd left off. A couple more cuts with my Lesche and whatta ya know! The pinpointer is picking something up! Clearing away the dirt, I find the lid to a container. But the thing that is different this time, is that the jar is standing up perfectly in the hole, as if someone had purposely placed it there! A few more careful cuts with my digging tool, and I've successfully retrieved a package wrapped in tape!

Photo07181007_1.jpg

Photo07181006.jpg

Photo07181007.jpg

Photo07181008_1.jpg

At this point I see the note written on the lid, the nails, the aluminum foil, and start to think this is some sick practical joke. But as soon as I started to remove the contents, I began to get excited!

Photo07181009.jpg

Photo07181016.jpg

Photo07181012.jpg

Some jewelry, pull tabs, modern clad, a few Ike dollar coins...but wait! What do I see? A Walker!!!

At this point I am thrilled! But I want to share the excitement, so I toss everything back in the container, fill in my hole, and race home to examine the rest of the contents with my family. Everyone gathers around the table, and I spread out the goodies that I've already seen. Then I carefully open up a makeup compact...

Photo07181057.jpg

Honestly I could have fallen off my chair at this point! I would have been totally happy to find a single Mercury dime, let alone a handfull of silver! The best part of all, there was a note and a picture from the gentleman that buried all these goodies back in August of 2002!

020-3.jpg

024-2.jpg

His name is Bob, and amazingly the phone number provided was still in service! We chatted for quite some time, and I thanked him profusely for providing my family and I a super exciting memory that will last a lifetime! Hopefully in the future we can get together for a hunt once the weather cools off. Also, I informed him of this website, I'm crossing my fingers that he jumps in here and comments.

Here's a few more pictures of other relics...I'll update the post later after I get a few things cleaned up :woohoo:

017-6.jpg

014-6.jpg

013-7.jpg

022-3.jpg

012-5.jpg

004-12.jpg

006-15.jpg

011-9.jpg

002-9.jpg

Very cool and I'm sure it was an exciting find. Would love to find one once.

Wow...that must have felt AMAZING! Congrats!

It looks like the guy must have been a MDr and reburied some of his junk with the goods.

How cool is that? What fun for you and your family as you discovered all the treasures inside that can. The guy who buried it certainly had a good idea and his fun is when he gets a phone call saying one of his 'buried treasures' has been found. : ) Thank for sharing and good luck on future hunts.

Excellent! I would love to come across something like that cache! I've also contemplated burying one myself for future detectorist. He may want that stuff back since silver was at about $5 in '02!! Good work!!

Just amazing

I thought of a simple bury to find of a pill bottle on beaches in Michigan . This is just amazing . I was only going to put the ate up zincs in the pill bottles for find and report. I still havn't done so.

CONGRADULATIONS a day you and your family will remember for a long time to come.
M6 Mike
I got me one more silver dime from a school yard I have found 3 others that neither of my detecting buddies have found even one wheat at . I met the guys this past winter this year and both have been to the school with me and did good . I have been there maybe 7 times and always come away with something good like a wheat and lots of change. I am finding coins now deeper there with the M6 as I make one trip after another to the school property.

Your finds has me wondering how much you would pull from this school with that E trac

Back
Top Bottom