River Hunting

Schoon

Any of you ever hunt large Rivers like the Mississippi or Ohio? I just got back from vacation at the beach and had a ball in the surf with my Excal. Most of the lakes around here that have beaches are owned by the State or USFWS, some by the USACE (may let you hunt, haven't checked yet). Anyhow there is a bunch of river miles with sandbars that have a lot of pleasure boaters/swimmers nearby. Anyhow, just checking to see how many of you have had success with it. I know lots of folks that walk the banks for Native American artifacts so I imagine there should be some metal too. Thanks.

I've walked streams and small rivers for arrowheads but wouldn't think to take a detector down there. Too many old car parts and random trash metal. It couldn't hurt to try though.

I live on a river and our local beach park is hunted to death. I have hunted beaches on the Colorado River and have done OK. If people gather and swim there, they will loose jewelry. The younger crowd at the Colorado River, where I hunted was mostly junk jewelry .

Thanks for the tips. I may hit a spot of two on the Ohio where some of the fancier boats party...I'll avoid the walk-in crowd. Thanks again.

Im just getting started hunting rivers and creeks and so far I love it. You have to have a machine with good target seperation because the water is full of junk but it is also full of good targets.

A short strip of small river that runs through my town yielded dozens of clad coins, 10 wheaties, a 1881 indian head and this tiny 14k ring.

I have miles of that creek to go and many others to do!

Get the heaviest duty stainless steel scoop you can find and fit it with a fiberglass post hole digger handle. I use a five foot handle.

You are going to need it! Creeks beds are all rock. Good luck!

june11rs.jpg

Thanks for the info. guys. I'll hit some local rivers, and call the Corp office for the lake permit.

Back
Top Bottom