First Gold Ring

Congratz on your first gold ring.

Curious though : Is there a reason why you turned it over to the cops ? Is that something required in Australia ? Or did you have some reason to think that it was a recent loss, hence someone is likely still looking for it ?

As it a beach I hit regularly and it was just under the surface it was a very recent drop (Probably with the last 24-48 hours) it seemed the decent thing to do, if it had of been deep or a bit crusty I wouldn’t have.

Haha, this has come up on USA hunter's discussions before. Because here in the USA, all 50 states have "lost & found" laws. Which usually stipulate a dollar value ($50 or $150 or whatever ) valued item is to be turned in to the police station.

These laws were born out of wandering cattle laws. And are used still today so that no one can "find" a mountain bike leaned up against a light pole in the park. Or scoop up cash behind a Brinks armored car crash that he "found".

Thus technically, all of us md'rs who are not promptly "running to the police station" (for rings valued over a certain amount) are guilty of violating this. And the law makes no provision for when YOU think the ring was lost. And makes no provision for if YOU think the person is or isn't still looking for it.

Then if no one claims it in 30 days, you can go back and claim it (after paying storage and handling fees).

I have often toyed with the idea of purposefully turning in my own wedding ring, to see if someone supposedly claims it. Versus it ending up in the collection of whoever was manning the desk that day at the police station. Ie.: what's to stop them from calling their cousin Bob and saying "Come to the station and describe a Rolex watch that looks like such & such".

I know that sounds dastardly, BUT THINK ABOUT IT : It was never yours to begin with. You only found it. And you turned it in KNOWING FULL WELL it might be claimed. Nor is the police required to tell you who claimed it (for privacy concerns). So ... it's possible you'd simply never see your ring again.

Now that you are overcome with guilt for violating your state's Lost & Found laws, simply send me all your ill-gotten gain. I will make sure it goes through the proper channels. And absolve your conscience of all guilt. Thankyou.

If no one claims it they are supposed to let you know but I will check with them next week as it will have been the 2 months then

Well, when it comes to the potential of the police doing that, .... then at first glance, it would appear to low-down-dirty-rotten, like your example.

But the more I thought about it, I realize the ease-to-which the police might not think it's too "low down dirty rotten". Because :

a) IT WAS NEVER YOURS TO BEGIN WITH . You only found it. So how have you been harmed ?

b) You turned it in to the police dept. knowing FULL WELL that it might be claimed.

c) They have no obligation to tell you who claimed it (privacy laws)

d) Therefore, on the 29th day, if no one has stepped forward to claim it, then .... you can see how a non-reputable front desk clerk and the police dept. lost & found might just adopt it.

e) Anything not claimed by someone in the public, nor claimed by the person who turned it in (ie.: come in 30 days later to claim it, after paying storage fees) is warehoused at the police station for eventual police auction. And those auctions generate a pittance of income (for routine items like rings, watches, etc...) to the police or city.

And so you can see how some police persons might just figure "no harm no foul". Yes it doesn't make it right, but .... you can see how someone with loose morals could justify it in their mind.

Just to update you all - today I received a letter from the police That no one had claimed the ring and to come in and Pick it up as it was now mine

Woot! Congrats! I turned in a ring two months ago (have to wait 90 days). The police say that no far, it’s not been claimed. In another 4 weeks, I may also be doing the happy dance.

My fingers are crossed

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom