• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How do you clean those crusty black 10K class rings?

18kRonin

Forum Supporter
Will do a post on it when it's cleaned. :lol:

I don't want to use electrolysis because of the stone and I think it would also pit the gold being 10K. Couldn't find much info on a forum search.

Got it soaking in lemon juice at the moment. Have used 600 grit sand paper on the inside of the band to find out if it was plated and so far looks solid.
This ring has a lot of detail that I don't want to loose by excessive polishing.

Any help would be great.
Thanks
HH&GL

Last edited:
Being stone and non conductive, not sure how electrolysis would hurt the stone..

You could try rubbing with baking soda like some do with silver...

<°)))>{

Being stone and non conductive, not sure how electrolysis would hurt the stone..

You could try rubbing with baking soda like some do with silver...

<°)))>{

Thanks Ice, even checked out a few of your posts but couldn't find how you cleaned your 10K finds.
Remember reading somewhere not to use electrolysis on jewelry with stones but just looked it up and found it was porous stones, such as turquoise, shells or pearls and also any stones that had been glued in place.

Electrolysis could put a lot of gunk behind the stone and don't really want to pull the stone if I can get away with it.

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/clean_jewelry_with_electrolysis.shtml

Looks like baking soda might be the go brother :yes:

You could tumble in walnut shells. I always us BAR KEEPERS FRIEND..... or jewelry paste...... baking soda with tooth brush...... NEVER DULL.....Polishing compound..... BRASSO. Anything you use that has an acid affect like vinegar or citric id give it a baking soda bath after. You just need something to take off the tarnish........ heck even tooth paste works.

Dew

You could tumble in walnut shells. I always us BAR KEEPERS FRIEND..... or jewelry paste...... baking soda with tooth brush...... NEVER DULL.....Polishing compound..... BRASSO. Anything you use that has an acid affect like vinegar or citric id give it a baking soda bath after. You just need something to take off the tarnish........ heck even tooth paste works.

Dew

X2 I use as well.

Thanks Dew and Felix, will see if I can get "Bar Keepers Friend" never heard of it before. Will give it a try.

Thought there had to be something weird with 10K :lol: Think I found out why I was having such a hard time removing the tarnish, man it's thick. It's because it's gold rolled, sanded a bit more off the inside of the band and broke through the heavy plating.
Think I'll give up on the idea of getting a perfect cleaning job on this ring. :yes:

Will use baking soda with aluminum foil and see if that works for now.

Thanks Ice, even checked out a few of your posts but couldn't find how you cleaned your 10K finds.
Remember reading somewhere not to use electrolysis on jewelry with stones but just looked it up and found it was porous stones, such as turquoise, shells or pearls and also any stones that had been glued in place.

Electrolysis could put a lot of gunk behind the stone and don't really want to pull the stone if I can get away with it.

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/clean_jewelry_with_electrolysis.shtml

Looks like baking soda might be the go brother :yes:

Like you mentioned that electrolysis could release a bunch of gunk behind the stone...

When I mentioned baking soda it was as a rubbing compound.. But once you add tinfoil to the mix you're actually creating an electrolysis set up..

Baking soda gives a satin finish that looks good on silver but... Most of my finds get a final buffing on this...

IMG_4039_zps3120c0bb.jpg

But one has to be pretty careful, it can turn something to scrap in the blink of an eye...

<°)))>{

Thanks Dew and Felix, will see if I can get "Bar Keepers Friend" never heard of it before. Will give it a try.

Thought there had to be something weird with 10K :lol: Think I found out why I was having such a hard time removing the tarnish, man it's thick. It's because it's gold rolled, sanded a bit more off the inside of the band and broke through the heavy plating.
Think I'll give up on the idea of getting a perfect cleaning job on this ring. :yes:

Will use baking soda with aluminum foil and see if that works for now.

I found this watch right at the edge of a freshwater lake and it was black as coal.
Being in a wet environment for so long this rolled gold item tarnished so bad I had no idea it was gold at all until I attacked it with a green scrubby.
I was shocked when I saw a glint of gold shine through.
A lot of scrubbing and elbow grease later it was finally revealed.

This was smooth, your ring sounds much more difficult so I would probably go with tumbling because I don't believe chemicals will do it but good luck on that if you want to try.

Attachments

• P1040824.jpg
    P1040824.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 571
18k! What the h3ll? You...Posting about 10k? What is the world coming to? :no:

:laughing:

R5

Like you mentioned that electrolysis could release a bunch of gunk behind the stone...

When I mentioned baking soda it was as a rubbing compound.. But once you add tinfoil to the mix you're actually creating an electrolysis set up..

Baking soda gives a satin finish that looks good on silver but... Most of my finds get a final buffing on this...

IMG_4039_zps3120c0bb.jpg

But one has to be pretty careful, it can turn something to scrap in the blink of an eye...

<°)))>{

Now you tell me :lol: since then found out it was gold rolled so not the high end piece I thought it was.
Went to use baking soda but there wasn't any so just used salt, boiling water and tinfoil did a great job.
Yeah it is still electrolysis but a lot less active than using electricity. Will give it a light buff up and post pics tomorrow.

Could use a set up like that for some of the crusty silver I find. Would really rip it a new one :lol:

I've got something just a wee bit smaller for cleaning gold. :lol: Now mainly use a 1/2 inch, inch long felt wheel on a cheap variable speed drill. Can buff the inside and outside of rings without having to change wheels. The ring can get a bit hot though with such a small wheel :yes: For getting out deeper scratches I use a 2 inch wheel.

Good info from you guys I can use if I ever get a good piece with a lot of detail I want to keep.

I learned to buff rings out as a kid, I worked part time at the pawn shop.. That's where I learned to jam the ring on a tapered wooden stick.. No more burnt fingers ☺

<°)))>{

I found this watch right at the edge of a freshwater lake and it was black as coal.
Being in a wet environment for so long this rolled gold item tarnished so bad I had no idea it was gold at all until I attacked it with a green scrubby.
I was shocked when I saw a glint of gold shine through.
A lot of scrubbing and elbow grease later it was finally revealed.

This was smooth, your ring sounds much more difficult so I would probably go with tumbling because I don't believe chemicals will do it but good luck on that if you want to try.

Wow very nice clean up Digger, looks solid gold in the pic :yes:
Yeah my ring was the same, tried gently scrubbing it but nothing :lol: finally used sandpaper on the inside of the band yeah that moved it :lol:
Salt, boiling water and tinfoil just melted the stuff off. A lot faster that with crusty silver :yes:

what i use

Dremel tool with the plastic polish wheel.. takes it right off and I use mothers mag wheel polish...to finish..very fast

Attachments

• OBN0363.jpg
    OBN0363.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 580
  • OBN0364.jpg
    OBN0364.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 565
18k! What the h3ll? You...Posting about 10k? What is the world coming to? :no:

R5

Exactly my thoughts when I first read this post! :laughing::laughing: 'Ronin wants to clean a crappy ol 10k?' Throw the damn thing away Ronin, and get out and find more of that succulent 24k stuff! Stop wasting time! Time and Gold wait for Nobody!:laughing:
Mud

Mud,

Please do not post how you clean the tarnish off yours, especially if it involves using your mouth first...

<°)))>{

18k! What the h3ll? You...Posting about 10k? What is the world coming to? :no: :laughing: R5

You should throw it back and let it grow to 24k in a few years and then come back and find it!

Mud,

Please do not post how you clean the tarnish off yours, especially if it involves using your mouth first...

<°)))>{

Well yeah...Who needs a tumbler or a jewelers wheel/paste or a stick even? You know I simply swallow all crappy tarnished items along with a handful of sand, and about 50oz of my personal version of "Bar Keepers Helper" (BudLight)...then, a guy uses a collander the next morning to collect the goods....

I suppose you could substitute oatmeal instead of sand, and probably Coors Light as well... Hell, I havent seen a tube of tooth paste around here since Hector was a Pup! Sand seems to work good for lots of things...:laughing:
Mud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom