Etrac VS CTX Would like others thoughts on it

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
Would like to hear others thoughts on the two machines that have maybe used them head to head for land based hunting for coins. I know the Etrac coil selection is greater and cheaper than the CTX and 800 to 900 dollars cheaper than the CTX. Please no fighting just give your thoughts based on your experiences. Thanks.

Would like to hear others thoughts on the two machines that have maybe used them head to head for land based hunting for coins. I know the Etrac coil selection is greater and cheaper than the CTX and 800 to 900 dollars cheaper than the CTX. Please no fighting just give your thoughts based on your experiences. Thanks.

The CTX is overall a better detector for coins.

On some targets,,going head to head,,,CTX will be the winner,,,some targets CTXx will be juat a slight winners.

Head to head--- not an all a rounder test either.
Meaning,,,just because you wave the coil,,,over an already located target,,doesn't paint true pic.

Locating a good coin say,,,is where it really is.

CTX biggest advantage,,,combined mode,,,where the disc can be wide open,,and ferrous and nonferrous can all sound off--- allows for some better separation vs etrac.

CTX,,, overall,,will generally run even at a higher auto sens setting,,,comparing in the same sites.

Sweep speed more forgiving using CTX vs etrac.

In cleaner ground,,,a CTX user using stock coil,,,hunting behind an etrac user with stock coil ( where both a quite proficient),,, CTX user finds pouch likely won't have much to show.

Now,,,throw in some iron,,possible different story, CTX recover faster.

There are some other things like GPS,,target trace,,water proofing,,all these together make it cost more.

Not many coils to use with CTX,,,ETrac has boatloads.

My humble opinion here,,,,for about the same loot.

What a CTX costs,,,,,a person can buy new etrac,,,and a new At Pro, or Makro Racer 2, F70, T2,,,and in the end a person's detecting possibilities are broader.

Things like smaller gold,,,some great unmasking in iron with smaller coil.
And the At Pro is waterproof.

I do have a CTX,,,had 2 etracs.
Have hunte d behind my etracs with .CTX,,,all I can say, is what I have here.

Good luck in your choice should you decide to get on the Minelab train.

Thanks Tn. I hunt old houses, each outing i hear lots of iron and recover iron mixed in the plug with the target. I felt like my CTX's were better in iron than my etracs were but i posted cause i wanted to see if others felt the same way. I am about to get either my 3rd ctx or etrac and i want it to be my final fbs machine for awhile. I would really like a cheaper version of the ctx , i dont need the gps or the water proofing and would like a cheaper and better coil selection then i would have no doubt which way i would go.

CTX biggest advantage,,,combined mode,,,where the disc can be wide open,,and ferrous and nonferrous can all sound off--- allows for some better separation vs etrac.

Could you please expand on that? I'm curious how that is different from running zero disc on Etrac or other machine. I hope you don't mind. I have only had an AT Pro and Etrac.

Believe it or not, I am in complete agreement with TNSS. The CTX has the advantage but the E Trac is no slouch. I run both units consistently and manage to pull out oldies and silver 90% of the time I hunt

Could you please expand on that? I'm curious how that is different from running zero disc on Etrac or other machine. I hope you don't mind. I have only had an AT Pro and Etrac.

I will limit my comments here to etrac and CTX.

First and foremost CTX recovers faster than etrac,,,meaning it should alert on more solo pieces of iron p than etrac ( same sized coils),, and should also alert moreso on nonferrous targets commingled with ferrous materials ( if detecting scenario will allow). Remember it is possible the detecting scenario won't allow either detector to sound off on a nonferrous target also.

Running 0 disc on etrac,,,really can only be done in a few ways,,,but these methods a are flawed somehat, 4 tone ferrous,,and 2 tone ferrous.
You can't run O disc in conductive mode ( nails and silver sound the same) tone wise,,,sure you could still find some coins by doing,,,by constant staring of screen would need to be down,,,plus you would likely negate allowing the etrac to alert you on a say coin higher conductor colocated with nail by doing.

2 tone ferrous
First and foremost,,only a higher tone is provided on nonferrous,,,so all nonferrous sounds the same. Also due to the way etrac is engineered,,for example 2 tone ferrous has a present tone break of 17 ferrous,,,meaning any target reporting with a higher than 17 ferrous number will report low tone-- hence operator will walk right by.

4 tone ferrous is similar,,,but has tone breaks at different levels for the 4 tones setup,,,but again an operator has no clue based on tone what they have condcutive wise under their coil.

CTX,,,different ballgame,,,first and foremost,,CTX engineered to give ferrous number closer to the 12 ferrous line ( using ferrous coin) process.

But even if the ferrous number strays off the 12 line,,an operator can by using combined mode,,,,have their tone bin pattern set,,for example to give non iron tone on targets reporting say all the way up to line 25 ferrous.

Tone bins can be set up,,,and using conductive scale,,,target conductivity can be determined by tone.

Even nickels can be set to tone in like silver coins if user wants.

So using combined,,,with CTX,,an open screen can be used,,,,op can hear iron,,and nonferrous targets-- depending on tone bin setup target conductivity can be derived by tone.

Hopes this explains.

Remember,,even using CTX,,depending on detecting scenario on any target,,,ideal tone that represents targets-- not absolute all the time,,,same with etrac.

But the fbs/fbs2 detectors, especially etrac and CTX,,far more accurate most times vs many other detectors.
At least my experiences. (Using conductive based program).

Most of where I hunt (parks and yards) they perform the same. Etrac is lighter and cheaper. Spots where ctx takes the lead (iron/water/relics)i prefer different fast recovery single freq detectors.

For me, the CTX advantages arent worth the 50% more price.

On a budget:

Etrac and ATP or just a Deus

Unlimited funds:

CTX or Etrac and a Deus

Thanks for the input, i do like reading so i appreciate the link Rattlehead, and great videos i like watching videos as well. And Choppa seeing you be in agreement for once with TN made me smile!

I have ran both machines. Did not like the angle of the grip of the Etrac. My wrist and forearm would feel like they were ready to fall off. The CTX is much heaver but the way the shaft is it balances out well. Taking the pain out of hunting. Combine tones and the ability to resize the tone bins is a big plus. And not having to run to the car every time it rains is a the biggest plus.

P

Head to head--- not an all a rounder test either.
Meaning,,,just because you wave the coil,,,over an already located target,,doesn't paint true pic.

So, I've never swung the CTX, with less than six months with the Etrac, So I'm certainly not qualified to argue one direction or another.

But this point TNSS, i would completely disagree with. The only true way to compare responses from one machine to another, is on buried undue targets. I've consistently heard of particular machines that don't air test well, or aren't effective on test gardens due to the lack of the halo the effect.

Comparing the way "MD A found the '41 Merc in a park I've hit with MD B hard before and never found", is nearly the poorest way to compare detectors. Too many variables with a that method.

Swinging over a target, probably has more to do with the detectorist, than anything else. The way the MD, responds to that target, is what each of us are looking for.

I just came from an etrac to a 30-30 and after I am done reading the book to where I fully understand the features and how each affect the other feature on the 3030 then I will give an educated opinion. :)

If you have a 3030 and you have never read Andy Sabish book on it four or 5 times you do not understand the 3030...just saying

So, I've never swung the CTX, with less than six months with the Etrac, So I'm certainly not qualified to argue one direction or another.

But this point TNSS, i would completely disagree with. The only true way to compare responses from one machine to another, is on buried undue targets. I've consistently heard of particular machines that don't air test well, or aren't effective on test gardens due to the lack of the halo the effect.

Comparing the way "MD A found the '41 Merc in a park I've hit with MD B hard before and never found", is nearly the poorest way to compare detectors. Too many variables with a that method.

Swinging over a target, probably has more to do with the detectorist, than anything else. The way the MD, responds to that target, is what each of us are looking for.

I never said head to head comparisons were altogether useless,,,just that they don't paint the true pic.

After already knowing where a coin is buried for example ( discovered with another detector),,,sure another detector may infact alert user to when swung over. But when one is out a hunting and locations of targets are unknown--- and a person has to iniatially locate,,,,believe me this can make a big difference.

For example some detectors are just by design,,,more swing speed friendly,,some provide correct tone on initial pass of coil over target ( reflects more accurate conducitivty) than others..

And there is also,,,,just how simple is the detector to setup,,,to be more successful on average???

This too plays a part.

Head to head tests,,,,do we always know for example each detector is set for optimum for detection. And remember this optimum for detecting say a one target scenario for head to head,,,,are the settings used,,,can these same settings be used generally to hunt a site and be successful???

I am sure lots of folks have bought detectors based on videos depicting head to head test.

Have all been satisfied with the detector they bought by doing???

Don't think so,,,and just maybe,,,some of what I have talked about above,,,may be the reasons why.

And EMI hasn't been talked about.

For deep targets,,,EMI can definitely affect.

If anyone for example thinks a White's V3i is not more supceptable to EMI vs fbs detectors,,,,I got some beach front property in Az to sell someone.

This not a hit job on White's or the detector,,,but one can look at head to head test between fbs and V3i,,,,and both may be seeing target in video,,,,but overall on average FBS will kick butt in more places around modern devices being run that produce EMI.

For folks watching head to head,,when you watch them,,,yes pay attention to the signal provided,,,but also pay attention to how critical when compared ( coil position),,, and swing speed (how critical),,, and see if the person doing video,,if they comment on ground minerals levels. Coil height above ground comparisons should be watched too. And when coil height above ground are optimum,,swing speed are optimum,,how consistent between passes of coil over target,,,does the detector report--- both tone and correct ID (or closer to being more accurate).

These all will usually provide clues,,if watching and thinking about a future purchase.

A entire thread dedicated to head to head testing,,,maybe a good idea.
And some videos placed in thread,,,so some discussions can be had.

Really if in the end,,,folks are more apprised,,so they can make a purchase that satisfies them-- all good.

And may just maybe some folks who post here,,make them more conscious about their head to head videos,,and in doing so they do better videos.

I don't have an etrac but I did compare these two machines before buying my CTX...I compared the safari too...

I went with the CTX because its waterproof. That feature alone was worth the extra cost to me because I am a beach hunter. The other features it has over the etrac are nice but not sure they will actually make you find more gold/silver/coins. As tns said the combined hunting mode is awesome so that I can have an open screen with 5 different tones so my iron, nickels, pennies, etc all sound different. I actually wish it had 2-3 more tones than it did but I do really like it. There are only a few coil selections for the CTX but overall you do have options. I am using the 17 inch. Might be a good idea to call around and see what kind of price you can get on each machine.

This might not be how others view it but I look at the CTX as the machine you get if you are going to be near water or have the money to buy the luxuries it affords. The eTrac will perform nearly the same but its not waterproof and doesnt have some of the bells and whistles...its also lighter. So figure out what you need and what's best for you. Either way you are getting a top of the line machine.

I bought and read Andy's book recently for the CTX3030. He goes into a lot of history about the development of the BBS, then FBS detectors and what the engineers sought to gain from each successive offering.

In an nutshell, the ETrac was designed to stabilize the conductive reading on deeper targets, though the ferrous numbers could be quite different on the same target at different depths.

The CTX, they worked at stabilizing the ferrous number on deeper targets. Of course, they also introduced FBS2 coils and moved signal processing into the coil itself. The signal going to the control head on CTX is a digital data stream which is more immune to outside noise than an analog signal. This helps the CTX operator find deeper targets with better ID. That's the reason the coils are special. But the 4 coils that are available cover a good range of size and I can't really see anyone needing much more than what's already offered.

FIRST... we're comparing apples to oranges here

They are two different technologies, FBS Vs FBS2 and a smart coil.

I have been using the E-Trac for nearly 3 years (400+ hours on it) and my hunting buddy a CTX for a bit over that. When we hunt parks or dry sand together we do just about the same in finds most days. In one really trashy site (buildings had been bulldozed and there was a LOT of construction debris everywhere) we had been doing regularly until it was closed down to us, most days he was able to find and correctly ID targets quite a bit faster. But then, he was using the smallest coil (6 inch round I think) for his machine and I was using my bigger 9x5 NEL Sharpshooter. On the other hand, when I could really settle down and work it, I did do acceptably well.

So, to the point of the thread... I'd love to be able to afford a CTX, but I don't regret having an E-Trac. If I had both, I would probably still use the E-Trac in parks (unless it looked like rain out) but I would certainly use the CTX at the beach and in the trashiest spots.

OP, since you have a CTX3030...

Why did you start this thread? Are you considering getting an E-Trac?

I'll stray a bit and compare the Explorer2 and CTX. In an easy environment they're very similar in performance. When EMI comes into the picture the CTX is more forgiving,in my experience. Keep in mind there are many variants of EMI,so noise cancelling may have a greater effect depending on what you're dealing with. The CTX is more ergonomic,especially if the X-1 inline probe is installed on the Explorer2. To reiterate,the E series are no slouches. I love the Explorer2 audio,but I'm getting used to the CTX,which definitely sounds more "digital". They can both find stuff other single freq machines won't or can't. In the end if I could only have one,I would be very happy with either,though for me the CTX holds the edge for peripheral reasons,not core performance.

Robby I have had 2 ctx and 2 etrac's in the past. I have sold them to try other machines and I now wish to have one of them in my arsenal on a consistent basis to compliment my Deus. But I am only getting one and I wanted you guys input , not just my opinion because I am definitely not as savy as some of you are with the machines. I have my opinion but I decided to also weigh in the input I get here to help me decide. And so far I am getting a lot of good info! Thanks a bunch to all that have contributed so far! It really is helpful.

Robby I have had 2 ctx and 2 etrac's in the past. I have sold them to try other machines and I now wish to have one of them in my arsenal on a consistent basis to compliment my Deus. But I am only getting one and I wanted you guys input , not just my opinion because I am definitely not as savy as some of you are with the machines. I have my opinion but I decided to also weigh in the input I get here to help me decide. And so far I am getting a lot of good info! Thanks a bunch to all that have contributed so far! It really is helpful.

A no brainer,,,Deus with 9" coil + etrac with stock coil = deadly combo.

Back
Top Bottom