Keep, or Sell??

Tystick

What do the majority of guys do with the silver coins and Wheaties they collect? Do you sell the coins for cash? Maybe for upgrades? Or do most hold on to them for future ummm, whatever one might do with them in the future?

Thoughts??

Never have sold a find. All my silver coins go in coin flips with the location they were found written on them and go into albums. The pre-1920 wheats get the same treatment, along with Indians and old nickels. Newer wheats go in coin tubes, separated by decade. Maybe a little OCD...:D Selling silver for cash is completely backwards!!:yes:

Never have sold a find. All my silver coins go in coin flips with the location they were found written on them and go into albums. The pre-1920 wheats get the same treatment, along with Indians and old nickels. Newer wheats go in coin tubes, separated by decade. Maybe a little OCD...:D Selling silver for cash is completely backwards!!:yes:

Same here.

Same here,minus the coin tubes. I still have every wheat and silver I've found in 6 years. If economics demand you sell some better stuff, and you have a buyer,that's personal choice. To me they are all a piece of the journey that I get to keep and re-visit if I like. I'd imagine because of the mentality of most hunters to begin with,you're going to get a lot of "I keep it all".

Ok, so what are your plans with them?

Take out the albums, stroke em, read them stories and tell them all about how you'll liberate their long lost brothers, sisters and cousins...:laughing: Myself, I've got a fairly substantial coin collection in a few albums, a couple albums for my dug coins, tokens, watch fobs and flat buttons, and a couple bags of common "junk" silver coins that don't have collector value, are beat up or extremely worn. I buy the junk coin with the clad I dig along with any extra money I have to spend. We used to be hunters and gatherers and a lot of us still have that ingrained in our DNA and this is a pretty good way to satisfy it. HH!

I keep all old coins/relics, take clad to coin machine, give jewelry to family and friends if they like it.

Everyone is supposed to send them to me, I pay nothing. (Just so you know up front). I will hoard them for my eventual retirement, at which point I will post a blanket thank you for everyone.
PM me and I will forward shipping instructions.
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I have some silver. These are the oldest. None found MD'ing but someday maybe!!! :) Reason I ask is, contemplating selling to upgrade my equipment. I have a pile of Wheaties too. Even a silver colored one. Hmm. I would ave much rather dug them.
20160822_215105.jpg

20160822_215118.jpg

20160822_215207.jpg

20160822_215222.jpg

20160822_222139.jpg

20160822_222159.jpg

20160822_222207.jpg

The silver colored 1943s are steel. They needed the copper for the war effort. Big pile of wheat. Have you searched them for good ones? There are a lot of different thoughts on silver, but for me I never sell for cash as I see silver as a hedge against inflation and paper fiat money as a temporary band-aid to a broken system. When cash comes crashing down, precious metals are gonna be the best way to acquire goods and services. You also want to check the collector market value for your silver coins since most of them hold more value than just their silver melt value. Your 1922 peace dollars are worth about $14.50 silver melt and about $23 to a coin collector. (This doesn't mean that's what you'll get for em though).

That 1943 wheatie is steel, made those for only one year during the war.
Test it out with a magnet, pretty cool.
I have saved every silver I ever dug, in a flip with date and location found, close to 200 now.
During the winter, when I cannot hunt, I will review these finds while looking at a map and re-live the memories of digging them.
I also save every wheatie too, close to 1000, not because they have any real value, but just because I dug them:yes:

The silver colored 1943s are steel. They needed the copper for the war effort. Big pile of wheat. Have you searched them for good ones? There are a lot of different thoughts on silver, but for me I never sell for cash as I see silver as a hedge against inflation and paper fiat money as a temporary band-aid to a broken system. When cash comes crashing down, precious metals are gonna be the best way to acquire goods and services. You also want to check the collector market value for your silver coins since most of them hold more value than just their silver melt value. Your 1922 peace dollars are worth about $14.50 silver melt and about $23 to a coin collector. (This doesn't mean that's what you'll get for em though).

yep, paper dollars technically are not "money" but rather a "note", there used to be a time when paper dollars included a promise that it could be redeemed for real money (silver or gold) it included ......"payable to the bearer on demand" printed on them, but not any more. :gettinmoney:

In 1964 a silver quarter would buy a gallon of gas. That same silver quarter will buy a gallon of gas today. Of course, one must first exchange it for fiat dollars.

I have not sold any of my finds in almost 10 years time.
I did sell several hundred 40% Kennedy halves that I found via roll hunting. Made a pretty penny on those!

I sell my gold all the time and have sold all my silver before to finance other machines or interests. I still have pretty much all the wheats I ever found.

Theres an old guy who lives across the street who buys my non-key date wheaties for 3c each!

After 3 yrs hunting time, I made $6 off that old guy!:laughing::laughing: I sell or trade my stuff at the local Numismatic Club meeting or down at the LCS...I'll trade rosies and washingtons for BF or Walker Halfs...

I guess I got enough rough silver coins like Barber D's and Q's, Mercs, to trade for a 1/10oz gold coin...so I probably will do that...

Mud

I save them, got a job that pays well enough. Those old coins will never be made again. There is always going to be some demand for silver, and it's not too likely they are going to find a huge pocket of ore, that will supply every need. Already refined metals catch a premium over raw ore anyway. You rarely find a silver coin in circulation, likely a generation or two, that have never held a silver coin in their hand, only seen the older designs in books. The value in coin form will only increase, we will see some serious tough economic periods in our lifetime, fun times have to end eventually. How much debt can this country carry? Anybody who's been in credit debt, where their paycheck barely covers the bills, knows it. People are going to dump everything and everything of any value, just to get by, a few more weeks. Lot of those old coins will be melted, those that survive, will be worth even more. As a nation, will get out from under the debt burden, many people do. It's not easy, lots of sacrifice, but it gets better after the cards are gone. You'd figure our government would set a better financial example...

I do the same - the only difference is that the older common date wheats I return to circulation, if they are in decent shape. I figure somebody might get a kick out of finding them in their change. I already have a wheat collection I made from circulation 50 years ago, so the dug wheats are surplus.

I save them, got a job that pays well enough. Those old coins will never be made again. There is always going to be some demand for silver, and it's not too likely they are going to find a huge pocket of ore, that will supply every need. Already refined metals catch a premium over raw ore anyway. You rarely find a silver coin in circulation, likely a generation or two, that have never held a silver coin in their hand, only seen the older designs in books. The value in coin form will only increase, we will see some serious tough economic periods in our lifetime, fun times have to end eventually. How much debt can this country carry? Anybody who's been in credit debt, where their paycheck barely covers the bills, knows it. People are going to dump everything and everything of any value, just to get by, a few more weeks. Lot of those old coins will be melted, those that survive, will be worth even more. As a nation, will get out from under the debt burden, many people do. It's not easy, lots of sacrifice, but it gets better after the cards are gone. You'd figure our government would set a better financial example...

Perfect post here Harv! Thats the cool thing about this Sport, unlike any other, a guy can leave the house dead broke, hit a little park or totter, and find enough to buy a cup of coffee!:laughing: No licenses or seasons or size restrictions either! Out of all the time wasted on other pursuit oriented Sports, this one does at least get you that and sometimes much more...a guy never knows what adventure awaits or what the next ping might be! Love it! Big storm coming Brothers, keep Stackin'!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom